The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

One of the tuning buttons on my Voyage Air flattop loosened up and got reamed out to the point it wouldn’t tighten. Cheap Chinese tuner, Ping I think.

Time for an upgrade. I decided to go with Hipshot locking tuners for a couple of reasons, in part because I wanted black and something that would fit the current holes. I also thought I’d give the locking tuners a try.

I’ve never really see the need for them so far, but they sound like a good idea.

They’re not super cheap, but anything other than the cheap stuff is somewhat expensive these days, and some tuners like Schallers go well over $100. So $75 didn’t seem to bad to me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003H8XAMM...NrPXRydWU&th=1

Anyone have an opinion about Hipshots or locking tuners in general?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don't like and don't need locking tuners (I don't play any tremolo-equipped guitar). Unnecessarily complicated stuff, heavier than normal tuners (and uglier too). It's only my point of view...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Laro
    I don't like and don't need locking tuners (I don't play any tremolo-equipped guitar). Unnecessarily complicated stuff, heavier than normal tuners (and uglier too). It's only my point of view...
    I think I agree. I am not sure what real advantage they give. I have never had a string slip or provide unstable tuning, by just the normal method of stringing them through a normal machine head and turning the tuning screw so they wrap around the tuning post. What problem are these tuners intended to solve?

User Info Menu

They are for people who shred.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    They are for people who shred.
    OH, I thought a locking nut was what shredders normally used...

User Info Menu

I didn't even know they have locking tuners for acoustic guitars. I use them on all my electrics that i gig with, basically because they make string changes last 5 minutes instead of 20, but also because breaking a string while playing live is almost a non issue with them.

I prefer sperzels, have had a lot of brands over the years, and sperzels are trouble free, I've had some for 20 years on a strat without problems.

User Info Menu

They are for people who change strings a lot

I try to change yearly, so 2 minutes extra is not a problem

User Info Menu

If you break a string during a gig locking tuners let you change quickly. It also takes less time for the string to stretch out and stay in tune.

User Info Menu

I have Sperzer, Grover, and PRS's own latest proprietary lockers.

I really prefer the PRS system because they are the least bulky and a well thought out design, locking from the top instead of the back, without a big thumbwheel. You can buy them, but I don't know about the hole/ream size off hand.

Tuning Machines & Components – PRS Guitars West Street East Accessory Store

Next I would say Sperzel, fairly small and light, thumbwheel lock from the back.

Lastly, Grover, more bulky, thumbwheel lock from the back. I have had trouble with the Grover. With a heavy low E, there is not a lot of clearance between the thumbwheel setscrew and the big string, and I often have to push hard to get the thumbwheel to catch the threads. (I don't know if I'm describing that well.)

User Info Menu

i tried to use sperzel locking tuners
    on a guitar ....
    but the tuner kept cutting
    the low E at the post
    (with fat TI jazz swings I i used)
    same place , three times

It didn’t seem to be anything sharp on
    the tuner ....

anyone using locking tuners with TI flatwounds ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    i tried to use sperzel locking tuners
    on a guitar ....
    but the tuner kept cutting
    the low E at the post
    (with fat TI jazz swings I i used)
    same place , three times

It didn’t seem to be anything sharp on
    the tuner ....

anyone using locking tuners with TI flatwounds ?
    Did you take out the thumbwheel screw to see if there is a sharp shroud on the end? Or possibly you were just tightening too much?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    I didn't even know they have locking tuners for acoustic guitars. I use them on all my electrics that i gig with, basically because they make string changes last 5 minutes instead of 20, but also because breaking a string while playing live is almost a non issue with them.

I prefer sperzels, have had a lot of brands over the years, and sperzels are trouble free, I've had some for 20 years on a strat without problems.
    Agree. I’ve been using Sperzel locking tuners on my tremolo-equipped Strats for many years. String changes and tuning the string to pitch are so much faster. But, I’ve never felt I needed lockers on my Gibsons.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by j4zz
    OH, I thought a locking nut was what shredders normally used...
    You might be right.

User Info Menu

Check this earlier thread for more info. Here’s my last post in it, addressing the question of string breakage at the post:

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    That’s almost always because of overtightening the locking wheel. It should just barely be finger tight - any more force can damage the string’s surface. Any flaw becomes a “stress riser” that’s the beginning of a crack, and it’s pulled apart as the string is bent around the post. Pulling the string straight through and cranking the lock can break it when it’s tight if the surface is scored or crushed at all. If I'm on stage and break a string, I'll change it the quick and dirty way - pull it all the way through, turn the tuning knob until there's between a quarter and a half turn, tighten the lock until the knob just starts resisting, and tune. But I'll remove that one as soon as the set is over and put on a fresh one with the S bend I describe in the next paragaph and at least one full wrap.

I position each string in the hole with enough slack for a turn or two (depending on the string’s thickness) and bend it against the post into an S, with the center in the post hole. Then I gently snug the locking wheel until it stops turning with very light force, and I tune from there. I also cut the string once I get at least half a turn on it to avoid having the free end snag under an adjacent string. I hold the string as I turn the knob so that it wraps down the post and not up.

Even if you overtighten the lock just a little, the damage is done. The string may not break right away, but I’ve had a few break when I loosened them for cleaning the board etc. Once you’re tuned, the locking knob can be loose - it no longer matters as long as you have at least one wrap around the post.

I use TI JS strings and Sperzel lockers.

User Info Menu

I didn’t think about weight.

It should be pointed out that the VA guitar (OM-style) is a travel guitar with a hinged neck that folds, so when folded the strings are ALWAYS losing tension and of course have to be retuned each time it’s set up. VA’s “performance upgrade” option includes locking Ratio tuners.

Hipshot locking tuners-ba961d06-c8d5-4b91-bc33-ac9173fa53c1-jpg

I picked the Hipshots because of appearance (really wanted black), reviews and price. Schallers are $163 at Stew Mac. Gotoh makes a similar locker, but my screw holes are diagonal, not directly below the post. (The Hipshot screw hole is below the post, but there is a mounting plate which may cover up the old holes and will not require drilling another hole.)

There are also a half dozen replacement buttons for the Hipshots in case I want a different look. I am a big fan of tortoise shell on acoustic guitars, but we’ll see how the black looks before I change. (Yes one can find replacement buttons of various qualities, but in my experience it’s hard to find good quality buttons—a lot of times the ones I want [ebony, tortoise shell] are out of stock. The last VA guitar I had I replace the OEM buttons with tortoise shell Stew Mac—for $44…)

I should mention how much I like this guitar. I posted before about a cracked top. I sent it back to Voyage Air, and they repaired it free of charge, even though the crack was likely caused by low humidity in my house. They did a typical rehumidification/glue/spline job, and in fact used Stew Mac equipment for the repair.

Since I got it back, I am enjoying it quite a bit. The cracks in the lacquer are only noticeable at a foot or 2 away. (Yes I could try to fix but probably not gonna.) The top is stable, and the guitar is a joy to play. It has a solid Sitka spruce top and has a very resonant and warm sound—think Taylor not Martin dreadnought. Very comfortable guitar that is great for fingerpicking, standard picking and even slide. It is easily the best playing and sounding flattop I have ever owned, with the benefit of being completely portable.

I mentioned a couple of years ago that I took another VA guitar (laminated top) to Jamaica, and the guitar case was literally my only luggage. I even put socks and underwear in the body through the sound hole. (As it was 85 degrees in Jamaica, I could afford to pack light LOL.) The case easily fits in most airplane overhead storage, but in a pinch will fit under the seat.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 05-29-2022 at 09:39 AM.

User Info Menu

The Hipshots are good. Should work fine for you.

User Info Menu

I have used Hipshot lockers on a few of my partscasters. As you mentioned there are a lot of choices for buttons. Very good quality and ratios. TBH any tuners with threaded collars will be heavy. I don't like the way most stock Fenders come with heavy diecast tuners with threaded collars even if they aren't lockers. Because of that I have been using Kluson Revolution locking tuners with push-in bushings. Marginally heavier than the same non lockers but you can use smaller buttons to lessen the overall weight. Likewise, at least with the Hipshots you can use decent plastic buttons (like the amber ones) to get a lighter set up. The haters will hate, however.

User Info Menu

Having installed these on about 275 guitars I can say without any hesitation that they are easily my favorite tuners. (I also have them on what's been my #1 guitar over the last 11 years). We used the open back version and with the smaller bean shaped buttons they are not all that heavy. The quality is superb and consistent as is the service and support from Hipshot.

As for all the negative comments about locking tuners, I think I'll just say that I disagree and leave it at that.

User Info Menu

Locking tuners also make it very easy to experiment with different guages. You could change guages as the mood takes you.

User Info Menu

Got em installed. Very well made, and IMO great looking.

Hipshot locking tuners-f9800216-8e22-4368-8f88-8b3938257c72-jpeg

Hipshot locking tuners-160f37e8-ce85-46d4-adae-22cedae2386b-jpeg

Hipshot locking tuners-2249449a-0379-4851-a47d-1376a2d33507-jpg

User Info Menu

Sperzel lockers on my Carvin Elec/Acous. Note the flip D-Tuner. I'd like to try those Hipshots.

Hipshot locking tuners-locking1-jpg
    Hipshot locking tuners-locking2-jpg

User Info Menu

ps - That's a pretty cool nut and zero fret arrangement.

User Info Menu

I hate locking tuners and hate to repair guitars with locking tuners on them. I see really no benefit possibly if you are a Flyod Rose user but that would not be me. I have the way I change strings and been doing it for so long that locking tuners just mess with my mind. I almost feel like charging more money to work on a guitar with locking tuners.

User Info Menu

How do these tuners hold up with the heavier bronze acoustic strings? Are they hassle free like on an electric, or do the bass strings get cut eventually / or tuners malfunction? I'm trying to understand why there are so unpopular on acoustics, given that's its more work to change strings on an acoustic than on an electric with regular tuners. Also do they make an acoustic neck-heavy?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    How do these tuners hold up with the heavier bronze acoustic strings? Are they hassle free like on an electric, or do the bass strings get cut eventually / or tuners malfunction? I'm trying to understand why there are so unpopular on acoustics, given that's its more work to change strings on an acoustic than on an electric with regular tuners. Also do they make an acoustic neck-heavy?
    I would say their niche is shredders and people with tremolos. It was offered as an option with my acoustic guitar, though.

They definitely have some heft to them, but not enough for me to notice the neck weight while playing.