The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 99

User Info Menu

For those who missed my post about this device in the DVM Jazz 12 thread, I ordered this Monday, and it arrived yesterday. It’s a folding wedge to tilt the Blu and Bud, and it fits in the front pouch of the gig bag. I’ve used everything from an ashtray to a wad of napkins to position my amps well in various rooms. But these are on sale right now for $30 including shipping, and they look a lot more professional than a stack of menus under your amp.

It’s great for the Blu and it holds up my Little Jazz, so it’ll cover 99% of my outside gigs. I’d hoped it would be OK with slightly bigger boxes too, but I suspect it’s neither strong enough nor big enough to hold my RE ten cab (especially with even my Raw Dawg 250 head on it). I’ll still have to take my amp stand if the gig is big enough to justify that much sound (which is maybe 2 or 3 a year). But I think it’s well worth $30 if you use an 8” or smaller amp or cabinet.

The Henriksen Wedge-e05d3d7a-67c5-4405-9ceb-e14f4790611d-png

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sweetwater has an OnStage brand wedge for $11.95. I don't have one, but I'm considering it.
    Access to this page has been denied.

User Info Menu

For my amp @ home I use a 1" X 3" X 12" piece of scrap basswood I ran through my table saw w the blade on an angle, I made 3, cost about 50 cents ea
    Milk crate on gigs as I don't like my amp on the floor or pointed at my noggin.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Sweetwater has an OnStage brand wedge for $11.95. I don't have one, but I'm considering it.
    That’s almost certainly the exact same one for which I just paid $30!

User Info Menu

i just use a piece of sponge rubber ....

User Info Menu

I just bought one of those last week. Works great for my amps. (All of my amps now are light-weight SS. Henriksen, Genzler, Quilter.) The only drawback compared to a back-supporting stand, is that you can only tilt so far until the amp falls back. But I like how it folds flat into my gear bag.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 05-29-2022 at 08:32 AM.

User Info Menu

I just ordered one of these from Sweetwater. I will report back after using it on a gig.

User Info Menu

Hardware store doorstop....mickmac

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mickmac
    Hardware store doorstop....mickmac
    Yeah I've been there, done that, but for 12 singles I like how these fold flat as a pancake into my bag.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 05-30-2022 at 06:14 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    For my amp @ home I use a 1" X 3" X 12" piece of scrap basswood I ran through my table saw w the blade on an angle, I made 3, cost about 50 cents ea
    Milk crate on gigs as I don't like my amp on the floor or pointed at my noggin.
    Don't want to get too OT, but in my big band I've been using a second chair for my amp. The director knows that and has two chairs set up for me.

User Info Menu

Little wedges are no doubt nice to carry along. Chairs are great but often ugly and sometimes the joint does not have a good one.

That’s why I’ve been traveling last years with a QuikLok 313 amp stand. You can adjust the angle and it lifts the amp from the floor, which causes often boomy sound.

The Henriksen Wedge-4ab94c8c-58c3-4ccd-bc52-10074d61b4b7-jpeg

https://www.gear4music.fi/fi/Kitarat...SABEgLOZvD_BwE

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    Chairs are great but often ugly and sometimes the joint does not have a good one.
    Stage navigation is sometimes a challenge for our improvisational skills. I’ve used many things found in joints across America - ash trays, shot glasses, menus, and table tent signs. Throw a napkin or towel over it and this is one of my favorite amp wedges…..

The Henriksen Wedge-f63de4a3-a39c-4aa2-9d62-a0809b6ecbe7-jpeg

User Info Menu

Cool and it will keep you from rushing the tempo, after all it’s the Slow one)

User Info Menu

I use such a wedge from AER since years. Actual price in Germany 20 Euro.
    Attached Images Attached Images The Henriksen Wedge-aer_tilt-system-jpg 

User Info Menu

I use a yoga block.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    The only drawback compared to a back-supporting stand, is that you can only tilt so far until the amp falls back. But I like how it folds flat into my gear bag.
    Yeah, this is the crux. One has to reflect on the very purpose; decoupling, projection or both.

A simple wedge cannot tilt back enough as the cab would tip over, then the wedge's sole purpose is to decouple the cab from the floor.
    I doubt there's a safe, stable solution that folds flat into a gear bag, if the purpose is to tilt the cab 30 degrees or more?

Old school tilt back legs are proven. They add some weight, but it's an integrated solution that makes this transportation problem go away.

User Info Menu

I stumbled upon this on Reverb -- not exactly as "compact" as the other wedges here, but takes care of some of the "risks" described above.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Stage navigation is sometimes a challenge for our improvisational skills. I’ve used many things found in joints across America - ash trays, shot glasses, menus, and table tent signs. Throw a napkin or towel over it and this is one of my favorite amp wedges…..

The Henriksen Wedge-f63de4a3-a39c-4aa2-9d62-a0809b6ecbe7-jpeg
    But ketchup on anything is like pouring vomit on good food. My father and wife do it. It nauseates me. I think we need Big Mike to get into this.

User Info Menu

Sure! Lets start a war on ketchup on jg. We can all jump the shark together.

(Woody I suspect you did not grow up on the Jersey Shore, your words there would fightin’ words to Jersey boardwalk French fries and Philadelphia Cheese Steaks.)

jk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    But ketchup on anything is like pouring vomit on good food.
    Just follow these simple instructions to use as an amp wedge:

1. Do not open the bottle.
    2. Lay the bottle on its side where you want the front of your cabinet to be.
    3. Cover the bottle with a small towel or napkin that’s clean.
    4. Set the cabinet down with the bottle positioned to give the desired tilt to the cabinet.
    5. plug in and play.

I recommend only using a full bottle, preferably refilled from a large, rusty can kept open behind the bar. The viscoelastic properties of ketchup (enhanced by years on the shelf) damp spurious resonances, tighten bass, add warmth and clarity to treble, and introduce a slight compression I can only liken to the feel of a greasy well grilled burger between your teeth on the first bite.

User Info Menu

I tried the "StandBack" a few years ago. Nice concept, but it broke apart after a few outings.

Amazon.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Woody I suspect you did not grow up on the Jersey Shore, your words there would fightin’ words to Jersey boardwalk French fries and Philadelphia Cheese Steaks.)
    Oh, my - I'm disappointed in ya, Kritter! Born and raised in AC, lived in Philly since 1968 after a 4 year stint in Boston (where the accents and the local food were hard to understand) - I can speak with authority on boardwalk fries and Philly cheesesteaks because they made me what I am today.

You should know Tony Luke's 10 Commandments of Cheese Steaks by heart! Here's #4, to be spoken with a heavy south Philly accent:

"Would you put ketchup on a steak from Del Frisco’s? Nope, and the same goes for your divine cheesesteak. Unless your cheesesteak was made with Steak-umms (it shouldn't be), there's no inherent need for any ketchup, mustard, hot sauce, or other condiments."

FWIW, they also made Tony Luke what he is today - a felon. Here's the skinny.

User Info Menu

sorry nshsi, ketchup on mine too and fried onions. Tony Lukes is overrated anyway as are most of the big name joints
    some places are so bad you could use their sandwich as a wedge
    but no wiz!

User Info Menu

OK Never, all depends on where at the NJ shore you hung.

IIRC isn’t AC a suburb of Philly, I mean the Gambinos and all? We (seriously) got our first standard poodle from a breeder named Gambino out by Pleasantville. Couple years later he was a guest of the federal government. Best darn dog we ever had.

Did you know Mr Peanut? Recall the strawberry shortcake mountain across from the Steel Pier? I saw The Beach Boys there, used to have pictures (another Sandy loss) of the stacks of Twin Reverbs all covered in psychedelic flowers. Black lights!

OK, Toms River and to the north (Seaside Heights, Pt Pleasant, Long Branch, Highlands have quickly diminishing PA influence. It’s a more New York State of mind. Dude, at Max’s in Long Branch they cover the tables in ketchup to make it easier to dip. And on any thing else they make. (Not the fried chicken.). Ever there? Mrs Max at the register. AND… The Windmill ( there are several but the windmill itself is south Long Branch). They have 3” mains of ketchup running out to the cars. And Mobys Lobster Deck in Highlands with the ketchup pumps for fries!
    Packs of ketchup? That’s for Nebraska or someplace.

But take into account NJ island dwellers do not consider Philadelphia as part of New Jersey. (Except for Eagles fans, but that’s a whole nuther story.)
    Or the Pineys, who don’t cotton to either PA or NJ residents that ain’t them.
    I stand by my experience.
    And Woody I had a Wendy’s Baconator and fries for lunch. With, well, you know, red vomit

User Info Menu

Darn Winter I’ve been away to long.
    FORGOT THE WIZ.
    embarrassed ex NJ JK