The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 99

User Info Menu

I wonder who actually manufactures them. Does Henriksen buy them unlabelled from OnStage and then brand them as their own? Or does someone else manufacture them unlabelled for both companies?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Almost certainly the latter.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    That’s the ticket! I can’t believe I didn’t look further before buying it from Henriksen. Business is business, and they have a right to charge whatever they want. I’d say I was ripped off, but it’s my own fault for not checking into alternatives before paying $30 for it. The $18 I wasted would have bought a decent bottle of wine, 5/6 of a set of TI flats, or a fish ‘n chips lunch for my wife & me with a small beer for each of us.
    Caveat emptor!
    This is the way that Henriksen keeps You healthy! It helps You to avoid alcohol, greasy food and who guitarist needs a set of TI strings with only 5 strings?

User Info Menu

Thomann sells them under their own brand as well, 16 euros.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    who guitarist needs a set of TI strings with only 5 strings?
    Keith Richards

User Info Menu

[...] I can’t believe I didn’t look further before buying it from Henriksen. [...]
    But just look at that setup in Stringswinger's photo – doesn't your Blu look much sweeter on top of a wedge that says "Henriksen" than on a wedge that says [shudder] "On-stage"? I know my Bud does.

Plus, it tells the world that style matters more to you than simoleons. There are worse things.

That's how I rationalize it, anyway, now that I already bought one...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I think some people checking in will have no idea what some of us are talking about
    Some will be horrified. Others might wonder what is American cheese, search for an answer and learn the awful truth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Some will be horrified. Others might wonder what is American cheese, search for an answer and learn the awful truth.
    I never liked "American cheese," even as a kid. Tastes like some kind of soft plastic. Yuck.

User Info Menu

Since I switched to the Bose Compact as my go-to amp, it is always easy to hear, since the speakers are placed on two lightweight extensions and are about 6' or so above the floor. This makes it easy me to hear and also helps to spread the sound around a good-sized room. The "woofer" is contained in the base, which sits on the floor. It's quite the practical design, although you really need an effects pedal or pedalboard to get good "amp" sounds, since the Bose is super-clean and somewhat sterile by itself. Still and all, quite lightweight and very easy to set up, with a small footprint, plus a separate channel for a microphone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    Since I switched to the Bose Compact as my go-to amp, it is always easy to hear, since the speakers are placed on two lightweight extensions and are about 6' or so above the floor. This makes it easy me to hear and also helps to spread the sound around a good-sized room. The "woofer" is contained in the base, which sits on the floor. It's quite the practical design, although you really need an effects pedal or pedalboard to get good "amp" sounds, since the Bose is super-clean and somewhat sterile by itself. Still and all, quite lightweight and very easy to set up, with a small footprint, plus a separate channel for a microphone.
    Yeah, a friend of mine has been using this. Sounds great, but you do need some kind of guitar preamp if you want that "warmth."

Access to this page has been denied.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ukena
    But just look at that setup in Stringswinger's photo – doesn't your Blu look much sweeter on top of a wedge that says "Henriksen" than on a wedge that says [shudder] "On-stage"? I know my Bud does.

Plus, it tells the world that style matters more to you than simoleons. There are worse things.

That's how I rationalize it, anyway, now that I already bought one...
    Henriksen does a good job of advertising their product with their backlit logo on their amps. I sure don't need to pay extra to give them even more ad space on my gig.

Frankly, it seems like it would be a good business practice for companies like Henriksen and AER to sell these wedges very cheap in exchange for the free promotion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I never liked "American cheese," even as a kid. Tastes like some kind of soft plastic. Yuck.
    If you remove the clear wrapping, it will no longer taste like plastic Of course, you’ll then be tasting a solidified slurry of protein in cheap oil. It’s not tasteless, but you’ll wish it was…….

User Info Menu

That’s the ticket! I can’t believe I didn’t look further before buying it from Henriksen. Business is business, and they have a right to charge whatever they want. I’d say I was ripped off, but it’s my own fault for not checking into alternatives before paying $30 for it. The $18 I wasted would have bought a decent bottle of wine, 5/6 of a set of TI flats, or a fish ‘n chips lunch for my wife & me with a small beer for each of us.

Caveat emptor!
    You paid what you paid because you felt it was worth what you paid. Otherwise, you wouldn't have paid for it. You weren't ripped off.

I have never bought something thinking that it was not worth what I paid for it. It doesn't change a thing if the same item could be bought for less someplace else. I felt it was worth it so I paid for it.

The same stand could probably be found for $3.50 on Aliexpress. I don't think Stringswinger is going to feel ripped off that he paid $13.06.

I use a $2 yoga foam block...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    You paid what you paid because you felt it was worth what you paid. Otherwise, you wouldn't have paid for it. You weren't ripped off.
    I agree - thus the "I’d say I was ripped off, but it’s my own fault" disclaimer. I wasn't ripped off - I just spent an extra and unnecessary $18 because I didn't take the time to look further. I unhesitatingly bought it from Henriksen because Pete was amazingly responsive and helpful through the long process of getting a Blu during the covid difficulties. Dealing with Henriksen was a true pleasure from day 1 (which was many months ago) and I can't recommend them highly enough.

As I said in that earlier post, it's a free market economy and sellers can charge what they want to charge. I didn't complain to Pete, and I'm using and loving it. My regret is over having recommended this to the forum when there was a less expensive and otherwise identical option. There are those who would be upset at having spent an extra $18 on my recommendation, and that's the issue for which I apologized.

User Info Menu

it's a free market economy and sellers can charge what they want to charge.”

I think that man bought a Gibson Les Paul lately!

For the record, I did mispeak. Its not American Cheese. Its American Cheese Food. Or some such delimitation.
    Now Velveeta…..a ‘real’ ‘Murican Cheese…..
    “In 2002, the FDA issued a warning letter to Kraft that Velveeta was being sold with packaging that described it as a "pasteurized process cheese spread"
    Velveeta is now sold in the US as a "pasteurized prepared cheese product",[
    term for which the FDA does not maintain a standard of identity”

User Info Menu

I guess you could use a stack of american cheese slices as amp wedge. Bring some bread as well and you have post-gig snack taken care of

User Info Menu

I'm not sure that would work. That cheese is soft, and very compressible. It won't hold most amps up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohanAbrandt
    I guess you could use a stack of american cheese slices as amp wedge.
    Your cheesemonger has a better solution……

The Henriksen Wedge-6d812e93-c8c2-43ca-a864-10e3fc8e414a-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohanAbrandt
    I guess you could use a stack of american cheese slices as amp wedge. Bring some bread as well and you have post-gig snack taken care of
    The american cheese would help you to barf out your drinks.

User Info Menu

I kind of like the america cheddar slices for homemade burgers, it melts nice and tastes good. For sandwitches I prefer real hard aged cheese though.

User Info Menu

Just now checked Amazon Japan and the On-Stage wedge sells for 6762JPY, which is 51.27USD.

Think I’ll be using a doorstop!

User Info Menu

I don't know is it just me, I found the sound of tilted small amps a bit too bright to my taste. Tighter low end on the floor

User Info Menu

Sweetwater has dropped the price to $9.99.

User Info Menu

Of course they have.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andreshum
    I don't know is it just me, I found the sound of tilted small amps a bit too bright to my taste. Tighter low end on the floor
    Amps with a port or driver on the bottom are designed to be used flat on the floor. The feet are part of the engineering, since their height defines the true "port" formed by the space between the bottom of the amp and the surface under it. If you wedge up the front with a doorstop etc, you change the angulation and distance to the floor, which affects the response and sonic character of the port and therefore the amp. A full size wedge under it (like the Sweetwater unit and the overpriced "designer" version I bought from Henriksen) provides the same spacing and angulation as the floor, so it should maintain the same basic character. I'll play with mine a bit to see if and how it affects "boundary reinforcement" of the low end (which is the technical term for what most call coupling). I suspect that a few inches of elevation of the front won't make as much of a difference in the bass response with a full size platform under the amp as it does with an object that only lifts the front edge and opens the space between amp and floor.