The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Perhaps this is at best naïve, but i have always played classical, archtop, solid body 7 string, and flattop through an aer 60 that i bought from Howard Paul 20 yrs ago. At a solo jazz, duo, and recently big band guitar event, I was quite displeased with my tone, think 'boxy'. All 3 gigs were is large rooms---(and at the big band gig i could have done a DI to the board but didn't). In researching this it seemed to say that even tho the volume was not an issue, i may have been at the point that the mids were all i was hearing (tho the amp eq was at 12 oclock, i may have even had the mids rolled off completely. I have other amps and RE cabs, quilters, etc.

Again i feel naïve asking this, like i should know. (I always asked David Stephens these questions on our previous ng). Is it ...
    a. that i need to grow up and play like tommy emmanuel since he seems to do fine with this amp?
    b. that you can't ask a that my ear really wants to hear the 12' speakers of my youth?
    c. the larger the room, the more the mids will take over on a smaller speaker? (told you I was naïve)
    d. my ear has changed...
    e. none of the above

appreciate any help, tnx

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's very possible your ears have changed, or that the sound just wasn't working in a particular room. Are you a "set it and forget" kind of player, or do you readjust your EQ to every playing situation?

I always thought an electric guitar plugged into an AER Compact 60 was very heavy in the upper midrange, and yes, a bit nasal and "boxy."

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    It's very possible your ears have changed, or that the sound just wasn't working in a particular room. Are you a "set it and forget" kind of player, or do you readjust your EQ to every playing situation?

I always thought an electric guitar plugged into an AER Compact 60 was very heavy in the upper midrange, and yes, a bit nasal and "boxy."
    Yes, i'm guilty as charged, with 'set it and forget it'. "Nasal" is the right word too; but at low volumes i found it warm and round, even with my Buscarino Grand Cabaret at church. But with an archtop, i found this with my QuilterMicroPro Mach 2 as well. My quilter 101 head through an RE sounds wonderful tho..... Maybe my ear has changed....

User Info Menu

Tommy points it at the wall

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Tommy points it at the wall
    That's the ticket! I posted this a few weeks ago:

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Whenever possible, I place my amp backwards with the speaker facing a back or side wall along the stage or performance area. If used, a mic is between the amp and the wall. The distance and angulation to the wall affect EQ and feedback and are easily controlled by moving the amp around. Even an inch or three can have a profound effect. And your stage sound is entirely reflected & diffused, which eliminates beaming and usually makes hearing you easier for you and the band with less volume needed from any stage monitors. Unmic’ed in small venues, your sound is more evenly dispersed throughout the room.

So for those who might be learning along with me, here is a 4 minute video on how tommy sets up

I'd not heard of doing that with the amp, but i'll absolutely try it now.

tnx for the help!

User Info Menu

I don’t have answers but never been thrilled with AER. I like either a Bud or my Clarus r2 and cabinets. Twin 8 s are nice at picking the low end and getting it right.

User Info Menu

It's an early symptom that you want a new amp, probably for no logical reason, but for some very strong non-logical reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    It's an early symptom that you want a new amp, probably for no logical reason, but for some very strong non-logical reasons.
    Well, i have other wonderful amps, including Rich built RE's and clarus and quilter and evans heads---but none so light and portable...

and while we're on the subject, i was feeling compelled to try go sans pedals... I admit, i have good problems.

User Info Menu

I think there are few amps better for acoustic instruments than an AER but I don't think they sound very good with archtop guitars with magnetic pickups. Definitely very boxy sounding.