The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

I'd like to try and keep this thread about Sadowsky only if I may.
    Having said that:

I currently own the Jim Hall model and am very pleased with it.
    I'm also considering adding an SS-15. My question is, is there enough of a tonal difference between the two to justify both?

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Having never tried either, I would expect the body thickness and neck wood difference to be significant enough for me to prefer one over the other.

As a 2-guitar quiver for myself I would probably look at a combo of SS-15 and an L-5 maybe. A nice 335 or a Tele for the 3rd.

These things are very subjective though...

User Info Menu

Interesting you should mention an L-5. I owned a CES for 7 years and eventually sold it. I just couldn't get used to the size as I found it uncomfortable. The Jim Hall was a perfect fit and the tone didn't disappoint despite the laminated top.

I also have a 1959 RI 335 and a Sadowsky Tele since you mentioned those as well. Perhaps my quiver is well rounded enough without adding a SS-15.

Thanks for the reply

User Info Menu

Hehe, well, in that case SS-15 might fit nicely in-between the 335 and Jim Hall

Nothing wrong with the laminate! Switched from a carved archtop to ES-175D a few month ago, not looking back.

I tend to really like what the thinline hollow body does to the sound and feel compared to the full depth. Wondering if the body resonance between the SS-15 vs JH would be similar to that of 330 vs 175...

User Info Menu

I asked Roger this and he replied back just now saying that when amplified, there is virtually no difference between the JH and SS-15. That only when played acoustically will you notice a difference.

So, I guess I'll probably pass on adding the 15. I was just wondering if anyone here had first hand experience.

User Info Menu

FWIW, I use a Sadowsky Jimmy Bruno model, size wise kinda halfway between the Jim Hall and the SS-15. Been my main jazz axe for over 10 yrs now. Always tempted to get an SS-15, but I like the extra fret neck on the Bruno.

User Info Menu

I guess it all depends on your musical needs? If you don’t need an all around guitar to cover Rock, Blues, etc. And your happy with the neck pickup tone, go for it! I believe the SS15 is also 24&/34” as well as your Jim Hall. He used to make a small Long Scale LS15

User Info Menu

If you want to add a 2 pu guitar, now there's the Frank Vignola model. It appears to be just like the SS-15 but with 2 pickups.

Frank Vignola Model - Sadowsky Guitars

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    He used to make a small Long Scale LS15
    Yeah that didn't last long, must not have been selling well.

User Info Menu

The LS-15 is still available for sale new in Japan. I see about 10 new ones listed at different dealers. This one is from Ishibashi Gakki.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky

The LS-15 is still available for sale new in Japan. I see about 10 new ones listed at different dealers. This one is from Ishibashi Gakki.
    Yeah, but it's no longer listed on Sadowsky's site. Maybe OS that never were shipped to the US. Or just now only for the Japan market.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 05-23-2022 at 07:40 AM.

User Info Menu

If you want a 15" but with a different sound, the Westville Corona is an alternative to consider. It is 14.8" and has a floating pickup. The top plate is a little thicker than usual to prevent feedback. I have one and love it!
    Attached Images Attached Images Sadowsky Jim Hall and SS-15 Comparison Query-westville-corona-yo-jpg Sadowsky Jim Hall and SS-15 Comparison Query-corona-yo-1807012-t1200-1-jpg 

User Info Menu

I recently bought a Sadowsky Jim Hall and have been comparing it with my Sadowsky Semi-Hollow. I find the Jim Hall warmer and somewhat rounder. Of course, the Semi-Hollow has two pickups, enabling a much treblier, blues-rock tone. They are different enough, certainly.

User Info Menu

I have a JH, Gibson L5 Wes, 175 (59 RI) and Ibanez GB10 and have played a Bruno. I love them all, none could really replace the others. Maybe consider the GB10 as an alternative?

Of all of them, it has the most crossover versatility for me in terms of covering those other voices well, with the exception of rock/fusion tones… or consider the Sadowsky semi-hollow instead of the full hollow for more versatility.

User Info Menu

Recently I bought SS-15 but I feel like the tone is a bit too bright. Perhaps I don’t have my EQ setting correct. Even when I roll the tone almost entirely off.

I’m using Henriksen blu. Can anyone help me on this?

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images Sadowsky Jim Hall and SS-15 Comparison Query-ba972eb5-ab26-4edf-be77-f0939d642b9e-jpeg 

User Info Menu

It certainly can be due to your EQ setting. I've played mine through my Henriksen Bud and a Victoria Club Deluxe. It sounds great through both but better through the Victoria. Still can't beat a really good clean tube amp. The 15, to me, sounds very close to my Jim Hall when plugged in.
    Don't give up on your 15 too soon.
    Try it through a good clean tube amp.
    As I type this my SS-15 is right next to me on the sofa. I play it every night unplugged for practicing.
    As a side note, I recently bought a new Fractal Audio AXE FXIII and play the 15 through it for direct recording.
    Works great through that too!
    like I said, give it a chance.

User Info Menu

thank you so much !

Quote Originally Posted by 2-5Guy
    It certainly can be due to your EQ setting. I've played mine through my Henriksen Bud and a Victoria Club Deluxe. It sounds great through both but better through the Victoria. Still can't beat a really good clean tube amp. The 15, to me, sounds very close to my Jim Hall when plugged in.
    Don't give up on your 15 too soon.
    Try it through a good clean tube amp.
    As I type this my SS-15 is right next to me on the sofa. I play it every night unplugged for practicing.
    As a side note, I recently bought a new Fractal Audio AXE FXIII and play the 15 through it for direct recording.
    Works great through that too!
    like I said, give it a chance.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2-5Guy
    I'd like to try and keep this thread about Sadowsky only if I may.

Thanks
    Why?

User Info Menu

Because at that particular time I had questions about one specific guitar which I was considering purchasing and was looking for people with first hand knowledge who owned one to provide some input.

User Info Menu

If you can find a used Sadowsky Jimmy Bruno, it's basically a deeper SS-15 with an extra fret to the body. It's been my main jazz performing guitar for many years now.

https://www.sadowsky.com/wp-content/...8/TCC_4_07.pdf

2011 Sadowsky Jimmy Bruno Model, Artist Owned

User Info Menu

Thanks but I did go ahead and purchased the 15 shortly after my OP.
    I even wrote a short review of it on this forum. There's just enough of a difference from the Jim Hall to make it sound like a different guitar which is what I was looking for. I'm still blown away by how BIG this little guitar sounds when plugged in!
    I'm very happy with it.

Sadowsky Jim Hall and SS-15 Comparison Query-7b3e14ff-c930-4350-aa34-649bf1da14ac-jpegSadowsky Jim Hall and SS-15 Comparison Query-4abda777-9010-4cf0-b3db-04b47dcc3e29-jpegSadowsky Jim Hall and SS-15 Comparison Query-716942c6-c4e8-4ab1-840e-228c7a56c3c2-jpeg

User Info Menu

And I like the resonance of the mahogany neck, compared to the stiff bite of maple.