The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have this Washburn J-3 (ES-175 type) that I used to gig with a few years ago, playing light jazz, smooth rock, and similar stuff. I used it with 10 gauge strings back then. It has been sitting for a while, so I dragged it out to get some more use from it.

Washburn J-3 clean, service and update-dsc_0075-jpg

Right, so it needs a clean. I put it away dirty (bad).

I decided to put Elixir Nanoweb 12-52s on it. It actually had 11 gauge on it that I tried a little while ago. Taking the old strings off, I noticed the bridge was wobbly. One of the threaded posts had stripped it's hole in the wood base. Luckily I had a similar rosewood bridge. I had to shave off a few millimetres to get the new one low enough. With that in place and new strings on, I brought it up to tension and set the bridge position for correct intonation. I then noticed 3 strings were sitting too high in the nut. Probably the slots not wide enough for the bigger string gauge, so I filed them out. Also, one slot is too low, so I will have to fill that and readjust it.

So, playable at this point. I tried it out, and I must say I like the sound. Happy !

Still to do... clean it. Also, need to adjust the bridge pickup a bit to level the volume from each string - the trebles are too loud. I don't think I'll replace the pickups with anything different for playing Jazz, as I am happy with the sound.

Lastly, what about that gaudy "W" tailpiece? What do you think. Ugly? Replace it?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

This is turning out similar to my work on my J&D hollow body. Today -

• masking taped some sandpaper on the body and shaped the foot of the floating bridge to match the curve
    • replaced the strings and reset the action and intonation
    • filled the 3rd string nut slot with loctite and refiled the slot to the correct height
    • adjusted the slug screws on the neck pickup to balance the strings' loudness

I played it for an hour or so, and it is feeling and sounding great.

I ordered a new black tailpiece and when it arrives I will strip the guitar down and clean everything, polish the frets and maybe oil the fretboard. Then put it all back together like new.

User Info Menu

for just one ....
    I dig the W tailpiece !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    for just one ....
    I dig the W tailpiece !
    Me too!

Oh no. Two likes for the big W tailpiece.

Hmmm. Not too late to change my mind...

User Info Menu

It's a Washburn. Own it. To me, looks are a secondary concern. Tone and playability are what count. Having a W tailpiece probably don't affect those, at least not much.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    It's a Washburn. Own it. To me, looks are a secondary concern. Tone and playability are what count. Having a W tailpiece probably don't affect those, at least not much.
    It does feel a bit thin and resonant, but I can't honestly say I hear it in the sound.