The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

While I was looking at colors for the Beauregard Facette 16" archtop I commissioned, I came across this semi hollow body guitar from the same luthier. Very slim with beautiful woods and absolutely no chance of feedback. The F holes are fake - black wood inserts. The instrument has a 15 inch lower bout and is 2" thick. A fun guitar for blues and jazz. The headstock inlay and the purflings are especially noteworthy. The previous owner who purchased it new in 2008 kept it in mint condition. This was a real find.

CIncy

Beauregard MB Semi Hollow-img_0910-jpegBeauregard MB Semi Hollow-img_0909-jpegBeauregard MB Semi Hollow-img_0911-jpegBeauregard MB Semi Hollow-img_0908-jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images Beauregard MB Semi Hollow-img_0912-jpeg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes, this is his wonderful nod to Sakashta-- congrats!!

User Info Menu

I believe it originally was Taku Sakashta who came up with this design model. I’ve also seen a couple other luthiers who have copied it as well. Jazznguitars, has a couple for sale.

Love the concept for sure, and Mario Beureguard guitars look top shelf! Congratulations, hopefully you can post some video and or audio clips?
    Just curious to the neck shape and specs. 1&3/4” width? Fatter or thinner back profile? Etc. Thanks!

User Info Menu

was this the one that was on reverb for a few years?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzgtrl4
    was this the one that was on reverb for a few years?
    I didn't see it there. It could have been.

Cincy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    I believe it originally was Taku Sakashta who came up with this design model. I’ve also seen a couple other luthiers who have copied it as well. Jazznguitars, has a couple for sale.

Love the concept for sure, and Mario Beureguard guitars look top shelf! Congratulations, hopefully you can post some video and or audio clips?
    Just curious to the neck shape and specs. 1&3/4” width? Fatter or thinner back profile? Etc. Thanks!
    I believe he apprenticed with Sakashta.

User Info Menu

Yum!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cincy2
    I didn't see it there. It could have been.

Cincy
    ahh ok....this is the one i was thinking about..different. congrats on yours!

(On hold) Mario Beauregard MB Archtop hand carved Hollow body | Reverb

User Info Menu

I bought one for 7K on TGP. The seller had screwed the bridge into the body, and the action was still way too high. I got my money back.
    How much did you pay for that one?

User Info Menu

Juicy! Nice!

User Info Menu

With great respect for both builders, here are a couple of Taku's guitars (not mine -- I can only dream of them!):

Beauregard MB Semi Hollow-taku-jpg

User Info Menu

Yum! Yum!

User Info Menu

I believe it originally was Taku Sakashta who came up with this design model. I’ve also seen a couple other luthiers who have copied it as well. Jazznguitars, has a couple for sale....
    Sakashta made nice guitars. Beauregard makes nice guitars. The fundamental design concept for these guitars does not originate with either of them. It was introduced to the West by our friends at Hofner, with the Model 4600, introduced to the market in 1966, but they did not originate it, either. I believe credit lies with a couple of less-well-known folks:
    - Max Adler, in West Germany, who patented a related idea in 1959, that was never produced commercially AFAIK;
    - Max Zimmer, in East Germany, who produced instruments with solid, rounded rims in collaboration with Musima (but which were mostly sold through Migma), starting @1960.
    Attached Images Attached Images Beauregard MB Semi Hollow-hof-4600-jpg Beauregard MB Semi Hollow-zimmer-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 05-20-2022 at 03:28 AM.

User Info Menu

Hi,

The neck is 1 and 3/4 inches. The scale length is 25". The next contour is a very nice D shape that is neither thick nor thin....perfect.

Cincy

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info! Now if we can perhaps hear it action?

User Info Menu

HEAR here:

User Info Menu

The beauty of this semi hollow guitar (and of course others) is that you can make it anything you want. With flat wounds and some amplifier (Quilter Mach 2) tweaks it sounds like the best jazz arch tops out there. Go the other way and you get the sound in the video.

Cincy

User Info Menu

That is awesome.

User Info Menu

You probably mean Kistler guitars:
    Inventory Archives - Guitars 'n Jazz

After the tragic murder of Sakashta, his fans accused Mario of stealing Taku's ideas for the MB, and Mario stopped making the MB model, even though I'm sure he had Taku's permission.
    The prices for MB's guitars bought new are so high, and the lousy experience I had with the used MB I bought, made me lose interest in buying one.

User Info Menu

That color burst is fantastic!