The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

For those of you who didn't read my post last week, I've assembled an amp rig based individual components with a Para Driver as the pre-amp running into a Hotone class D power amp. Reverb is a big deal for me so I did some research and ended buying a JHS Reverb pedal. There were two less important functions for me that I thought would be nice to add but only if they could be found locally and for very little money: chorus and delay.

This weekend someone advertised a Behringer UC200 chorus pedal for $25 CDN. I looked for info on line and found a chorus blind fold test from Andertons. I like their shootout videos. They have "the Captain" running the gear and giving commentary and "Danish Pete" as the demo/test player. He's a pretty good mainstream player who rarely gets really gainy. He plays in tune, under control, and is generally pretty tasteful. They were testing 8 chorus pedals ranging from Strymon and Waza at the extreme high end and the Behringer at the very extreme low end with a bunch in the middle. The results were pretty interesting. The Waza and the Strymon finished a very close 1-2 which was not really a surprise but the uber cheap Behringer finished in third, which definitely was.

Given my limited interest in chorus, I would definitely not consider the Waza or the Strymon but for $25 the Behringer seemed like an easy decision. It sounded good (and not very extreme) in their shoot out and was cheap enough to represent no real commitment. I've been experimenting with it this morning and I'm shocked at how good it can sound. It's warm and smooth and completely noise free. It's really shocking to me that a pedal this cheap can sound this good.

A new (cheap) gizmo for the component rig-behringerchorus-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Many folks here tend to snub chorus, I still use it here and there, especially for theater work, and especially for acoustic nylon/steel. I have a super awesome vintage Ibanez Bi Mode Stereo Chorus that I bought in the 80's. Great way to mimic a mandolin. And it makes my wife's electric violin sound like a full string section.

User Info Menu

I'm a child of the 80's. I love Chorus.

I try not to use it too much...but if it's just me at home...

I use the built in chorus on my Yamaha THR for practice now mostly, but I have an old purple Ibanez Chorus that I've had for maybe 25 years, and it does the job too.

User Info Menu

My late '70s Deluxe Memory Man (AC-powered) was my intro to what the sales guy described as "twelve-string in a box". I used it sparingly. I found the 12dB boost out more useful, with or without delay. Selling that pedal (admittedly for waaaay more than I paid for it) was a huge mistake. Chorus is nice, used tastefully. I was put off it for ages by another member of a band I was in using it on. every. single. song.
    Overkill is a thing, kids!

User Info Menu

Behringer pedals are basically complete circuit copies of Boss pedals.The only difference is the plastic housing instead of metal.Sweetwater had them awhile back for $19.For that price,i bought a bunch of them and they all sound fine.They are not just good for the money,they are good pedals.

User Info Menu

I see two outputs on many delays and choruses with only one input. But many are just parallel mono outputs. And many “stereo” effects with 2 inputs are just paired mono channels and require a 2 channel stereo input to produce stereo output. I have an old Alesis Nanoverb that’s in the latter category. I’d love to find a delay or chorus that generates a stereo effect from a mono input.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I see two outputs on many delays and choruses with only one input. But many are just parallel mono outputs. And many “stereo” effects with 2 inputs are just paired mono channels and require a 2 channel stereo input to produce stereo output. I have an old Alesis Nanoverb that’s in the latter category. I’d love to find a delay or chorus that generates a stereo effect from a mono input.
    Boss dc2 or the behringer copy cc300

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    My late '70s Deluxe Memory Man (AC-powered) was my intro to what the sales guy described as "twelve-string in a box".
    12 string in a pedal I like that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I’d love to find a delay or chorus that generates a stereo effect from a mono input.
    Since I'd only use it for recording, I decided to look for a plug-in - and I found a great one called Acon Multiply. It's a free 64 bit VST that works great in Audacity 3.1.3 and does a lot of cool stuff. As I'm not into dramatic effects, I'll use it mostly to beef up solo guitar images a bit. I just set it up - here's my first track through it:

If I could find a pedal that does this, I'd buy it!