The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Wonder if any kind souls here could help me with this:

I’m looking to replace the tailpiece on my Gibson Barney Kessel, and am looking for a non-original trapeze piece with the same measurements as the original (but without the BK plate.)

There seem to be several variants around. Does anyone happen to know what the exact measurements are? Help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Halvor; 05-15-2022 at 02:43 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Halvor
    Wonder if any kind souls here could help me with this:

I’m looking to replace the tailpiece on my Gibson Barney Kessel, and am looking for a non-original trapeze piece with the same measurements as the original (but without the BK plate.)

There seem to be several variants around. Does anyone happen to know what the exact measurements are? Help is greatly appreciated!

User Info Menu

You have no measuring devices? All I can suggest is to measure what you have - distance between holes, from the top, etc, and look for a tailpiece with those measurements. The only real importance is the hole spacing, the trapeze itself could be almost any length.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    You have no measuring devices? All I can suggest is to measure what you have - distance between holes, from the top, etc, and look for a tailpiece with those measurements. The only real importance is the hole spacing, the trapeze itself could be almost any length.
    What I have is not an original tailpiece, so getting out my ruler won’t help much, unfortunately

User Info Menu

Whether it's original doesn't really matter. What you need is to match the holes in the tailpiece with the holes in the rim. Of course, if you don't care about extra holes, or already have some, then any trapeze tailpiece should work, as long as the mounting area isn't bigger than the rim. You said you want a non-original, so just look for one that matches the holes you have. Unless I'm missing something else you want or need.

Makes sense, but this is slightly complicated. The tailpiece will have to be moved because the neck is slightly off center (made that way, apparently). So I am simply trying to find out what the measurements of the original BK tailpiece are – length, width, strings spacing etc.

User Info Menu

This may or may not help.

Rummaging around in my old yard shed, there is an old foot locker. I found a bunch of old guitar stuff. The BK/TL badge has an engraved plastic piece that is not glued to the wood, just set there for the photo. There are other things besides what the photos show. This is 1970 era stuff.

Tom

Specs for Gibson Barney Kessel tailpiece-ae943a17-c005-4b9c-a98c-c0fe0612053a-jpgSpecs for Gibson Barney Kessel tailpiece-37d3f2b3-97d7-4787-bdfa-a36e579ea8c9-jpgSpecs for Gibson Barney Kessel tailpiece-8a61a6f2-a0fb-4807-8757-628808261ea4-jpg

User Info Menu

could anyone with one of these kessel badges trace the outline for me?

User Info Menu

Not sure if the one in my photo above is correct, but I’ll sketch it up for you later today. Looks like a Lopez or Kessel piece to me. The Montgomery piece is just sitting there, not glued on. There are groove on the edge so that it could be positioned and secured between the the two “legs” of a tailpiece. Looks like dark walnut.

Tom

Specs for Gibson Barney Kessel tailpiece-35a4f03a-7e69-4666-bffe-4371792bf941-jpg

User Info Menu

Thanks Tom,

I have the rosewood piece but I'm missing the "plaque". If I could get a tracing of it, I could send a request into a trophy engraver to have one made. It would be nice if the size were correct.

Quote Originally Posted by TAA
    Not sure if the one in my photo above is correct, but I’ll sketch it up for you later today. Looks like a Lopez or Kessel piece to me. The Montgomery piece is just sitting there, not glued on. There are groove on the edge so that it could be positioned and secured between the the two “legs” of a tailpiece. Looks like dark walnut.

Tom

Specs for Gibson Barney Kessel tailpiece-35a4f03a-7e69-4666-bffe-4371792bf941-jpg

User Info Menu

Looks like I’m not much help….unless the shape/size of the Montgomery piece above is based on the Kessel piece.

Tom

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Thanks Tom,

I have the rosewood piece but I'm missing the "plaque". If I could get a tracing of it, I could send a request into a trophy engraver to have one made. It would be nice if the size were correct.

The BK badge - sorry! - looks rather, um, plastic? If I had to spend more than a few bucks for a replacement, I'd use at least a nickel silver badge for the regular BK model. I mean, BK had been a fantastic player, and they say that the BK guitar was Gibson's second most expensive archtop guitar at one point! Gibson turned to chrome plated hardware around 1965, but, IMO, in direct comparison, a solid polished nickel silver looks more classy with that matchless slight warm golden color hue, whereas chrome looks bluish gray and cold - just like a faucet. And nickel silver won't tarnish as much and as fast like the L-5 silver badge.

Some pics of the original badge - good luck!

Specs for Gibson Barney Kessel tailpiece-gibson-barney-kessel-tailpiece-badge-1961-65-jpg

Specs for Gibson Barney Kessel tailpiece-gibson-barney-kessel-tailpiece-part-regular-1961-62-g-jpg

Specs for Gibson Barney Kessel tailpiece-gibson-barney-kessel-tailpiece-part-regular-1961-62-h-jpg

User Info Menu

The attached sketch may or may not be helpful.

Tom

Specs for Gibson Barney Kessel tailpiece-dffda78c-ed87-4816-8fad-93f192d9412c-jpg

User Info Menu

Error….

The 1.361” should be 2.256”.

Sorry!

User Info Menu

thanks!

The plastic blanks for "Wes" and "Barney" same size, shape and material. Two different woods for the plate that mounts between the legs of the trapeze. Should be easy for an engraver to make a match out of whatever material you choose -- nickel, brass, gold, silver, or black plastic laminated over white (pick guard stock, truss rod cover stock)
    Attached Images Attached Images Specs for Gibson Barney Kessel tailpiece-screenshot_20230808-0850055-png Specs for Gibson Barney Kessel tailpiece-screenshot_20230808-0849346-png 

The guitar it's for is well worth it

User Info Menu

Which guitar did the Montgomery plate go on?

Thanks!

Tom

Is this the instrument? Wow--One of my favorites! Absolutely beautiful. Double Florentine cutaways and narrow neck must play like butter all way up the fretboard; lightweight thin hollow body too. Do you have pics?
    Attached Images Attached Images Specs for Gibson Barney Kessel tailpiece-screenshot_20230809-0713252-png Specs for Gibson Barney Kessel tailpiece-screenshot_20230809-0713162-png