The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Period. Time to look elsewhere.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I hope this doesn't mean you had problems with the guy selling the Jaen?

User Info Menu

Reverb has become a corporate shit show.
    Abandon ship

User Info Menu

I haven't used ebay for years, but still use Reverb, despite their going downhill after being bought out. I fortunately haven't had any issues buying/selling, either. I also buy/sell here, on TGP, and on Talkbass; my local market is not good, so for you guys not using Reverb anymore, where else do you go for a wide selection of good stuff??

Thx.

User Info Menu

Reverb has support?

User Info Menu

I say we call reverb out give them as much grief and bad publicity as possible. I would not sell a guitar through them or buy one.

User Info Menu

I too have become disgusted with Reverb, in light of a recent ‘near miss’( of losing my payment) with a scammy seller. Fortunately PayPal came through quickly with a refund.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I say we call reverb out give them as much grief and bad publicity as possible. I would not sell a guitar through them or buy one.
    Well, we are a tiny sliver of the guitar buying community. Reverb.com probably wouldn't even notice. This is really something that needs to be hammered on bigger groups like TGP, etc. And state/federal attorneys general, if there is scamming and fraud involved- which is likely to be interstate in nature. Reverb.com get investigated as an accomplice a few times, that oughta get their attention.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffR
    I hope this doesn't mean you had problems with the guy selling the Jaen?
    No, not at all.

User Info Menu

I was going to ask similar questions - Reverb started out as better than eBay but it seems like they are about the same. Anyone have any problems with eBay lately?

Obviously craigslist is good too... so maybe the order is: CL > eBay > Reverb

Other thoughts on buying/selling in US?

User Info Menu

I've had no problems with ebay. Sellers there, at least the ones I've dealt with, seem to be more than eager to keep buyers happy. I just had an issue with UPS delivering a shipment to the wrong address, or otherwise losing it, and I got a quick refund, even though UPS said they had delivered it. I suppose (hope) UPS had to eat the cost. The UPS truck drove by my house while I was working in the front yard, the driver waved and kept going, and I got an immediate notice of delivery. But that had nothing to do with ebay or the seller, and both were quick to make it right with me.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I mostly stopped buying there after I bought a "mint" AS-200 (at a mint quality price) with so many finish cracks and chips that it looked like a U.S. road map. Reverb wanted it sent back to them not the seller and they declared they could find no problems. They must have hired visually impaired help that year :-)

The only way I'll buy through reverb is if the seller is within driving distance from where I live in south Florida and I can see it and play it. You can understand that this does not happen too often!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Well, we are a tiny sliver of the guitar buying community. Reverb.com probably wouldn't even notice. This is really something that needs to be hammered on bigger groups like TGP, etc. And state/federal attorneys general, if there is scamming and fraud involved- which is likely to be interstate in nature. Reverb.com get investigated as an accomplice a few times, that oughta get their attention.
    They noticed enough that a few years ago, I posted about a bad experience here and they replied to the thread listing personal details about my account...Very unscrupulous ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomems
    I was going to ask similar questions - Reverb started out as better than eBay but it seems like they are about the same. Anyone have any problems with eBay lately?

Obviously craigslist is good too... so maybe the order is: CL > eBay > Reverb

Other thoughts on buying/selling in US?
    Whenever I post any music gear on CL, i'm besieged with spam offers from nigerian buyers who are buying an instrument for their grandson but ask if I mind cashing a check for them in addition to sending them the gear...

User Info Menu

A large part of the problems can be blamed on the buyers and sellers. Put yourself in Reverb's shoes for a minute.

Some sellers don't list their item properly either intentionally or innocently. Some items that arrived damaged could be faulted to the shipper or the packer.

Some buyers have remorse or got something they didn't expect. I know that some have even intentionally broken guitars in order to undue the deal.

I'm not defending Reverb, but it does suck to be them. A fraction of guitarists have no business buying or selling due to their emotional instability.

Fortunately, most who use Reverb seem okay. Yet it's not unusual to have a reasonable person matched to one who is either inexperienced, unreasonable or corrupt.

Reverb should have explicit rules and processes for disputes. Resolution must be expeditious.

When I ship something I take a lot of pics during the packing and send them to the buyer. I admit that I get better every year.

There are countless stories I've heard over the decades involving eBay, CL, TGP, etc. I've even heard of them with in person transactions in which the buyer has the guitar a few days then decides he is unhappy about something.

Reverb is not faultless, for sure. But some people using Reverb cause a lot of trouble for the rest of us.

I recently got a "buy it now" minty looking ES-345 on Reverb for under a thousand bucks. I was pretty sure it was a scam. I did my due diligence very quickly regarding PP when the deal fell through. It did fall through and I got my money back promptly. It was an interesting experience dealing with a moderately sophisticated scammer. Two days after the purchase I contacted PP because the tracking info didn't look right. I got a contact at PP I talked with every other day for less than a week. She determined it was a scam. I got my money about a week after I made the purchase. In my final discussion with her I told her that I probably shouldn't have even bid on the guitar because it seemed too good to be true. She strongly disagreed and said she sees even better deals than what was offered me happen every day, ones I would not believe.

It's an adventure and not for the timid.