The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I have a Eastman 905, which is fully carved with floater.

Obviously, I can't use bronze strings, but I want to bring out as much of the acoustic properties as I can.

Hoping for some suggestions please.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Tom,

For me, string choice decisions depend on a number of factors, some being more subjective than others.

You say ,"obviously, I can't use bronze strings". That pretty much answers a lot of questions right off the bat.

Size and composition matters with strings, for both the vibrations of the top and the amount of signal captured by the pickup. It also matters with playing style, since your attack either with pick or fingers on one hand, and cord and note voicing on the other can be effected by it. Too light a gauge will deliver a thin sound, while too heavy can lead to discomfort.

I play acoustic archtops with floaters frequently, and I prefer nickle and steel strings, medium gauge (.012 or .013, and up to .056 or 8).
    When I plug in, I get a nice balance between the acoustic and electric sounds.

I have tried all kinds of bronze strings and now only use them on fully acoustic guitars, like my Martin flattop and vintage Epiphone Emperor.

Peace

User Info Menu

You can use bronze strings, because the cores are steel. They won't be as loud as ferromagnetic material, but may be usable, depending on the pickup and its setup. That said, I prefer Monel strings, although the differences between that, steel, and nickel are not huge to my ears. I've used steel nickel-plated strings on solid carved archtops, and they sound fine to me, just slightly brighter which isn't necessarily bad.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by furtom

Obviously, I can't use bronze strings, but I want to bring out as much of the acoustic properties as I can.

Martin "Retro" Monels work well for this. Other so-called "pure-nickel" roundwound strings do as well (e.g., TI Jazz Bebop), but the Martins are a good acoustic strings.

User Info Menu

I've used round wound strings that have either been ground (D'Addario ground wound) or compressed (rolled a la Labella, who doesn't seem to make these anymore...boo. or GHS Rollerwound pure nickel).
    Which one I use depends on the instrument. When I want more high end, to bring out the acoustic transients better, I use strings from the GHS set, and for a more rounded, warmer sound, I use the D'Addario, since I can't find LaBella, my first choice.
    I'd suggest you try a few options and decide after they've settled in with a week's playing in. You may find that the secret lies in the mixing of two or three brands. I have two guitars I play primarily and their size, tonal sound and character are different. The string match is different for each instrument. So you might think of strings as offering a spectrum, and you find the right combination that brings out the sound you want.
    Much is in the hands of the beholder. Only you will find that through trial and error.
    Good luck

User Info Menu

All good points. Thanks guys.

Maybe I shouldn't have said "obviously," but I have found I don't care for the tone of the bronze strings amplified.

I think a round wound set of 13 would be my starting p point. I love TIs, but they don't strike me as the best choice since they have lower tension. I guess I'll start with D'Addarios and go from there.

User Info Menu

I would second (or perhaps it's third) the mention of Monel strings. I currently have Martin Retro Monels on my 17 inch carved archtop with a floater and I really like the sound of that. I am using the 11–52 set; at least I think those are the gauges. It's an 11 on top, anyway.

I have the same set on my flattop and really like them there, as well. Apparently Tony Rice knew what he was about.

User Info Menu

Martin Retro strings are great.

User Info Menu

How do the Monels sound through the floating pickup? Are they pretty evenly balanced?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    You can use bronze strings, because the cores are steel. They won't be as loud as ferromagnetic material, but may be usable, depending on the pickup and its setup.
    I tried John Pearse 80/20s on my 810 with a floating KA. Acoustically, they were great. But the signal output was grossly lower on the wound strings than on E1 and B. I could not have gigged with it like that.

User Info Menu

The big issue is that every floating pickup will be different in terms of how well it picks up/balances non-standard electric strings. I'm guessing you've got the standard knock-off KA that came on your Eastman with no polepieces.

Bronze work just fine on my '51 DeArmond FHC/Guitar Mic, but that's rare. So you're just gonna have to go for trial and error until you find the best solution for you.

I'd suggest trying each of the following in order to see how they work...
    1. Martin "Retro" Monel.
    2. D'Addario "Nickel Bronze" (D'Addario's version of the monel idea, but executed differently)
    3. John Pierce Acoustic/Electric Nickel Wound
    4. D'Addario Pure Nickel Rounds (or whatever brand).

One thing you can also look at is adjusting one or two of the plain strings up in size to increase output.
    If the rest work, but the high E sounds anemic, try bumping up a gauge.

There's also GHS White Bronze, and DR Zebra Wound... both of which try to find the middle ground between acoustic zing and projection and being suitably responsive to a magnetic pickup. It's been a long time since I've tried either, but I don't remember either being that great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill
    How do the Monels sound through the floating pickup? Are they pretty evenly balanced?
    My pickup has adjustable pole pieces so that's not an issue (it is a Gibson Classic 57 that I modified into a floater).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campusfive
    One thing you can also look at is adjusting one or two of the plain strings up in size to increase output. If the rest work, but the high E sounds anemic, try bumping up a gauge.
    I’ve never encountered non-ferromagnetic wrap wire that produced significantly higher output than steel or nickel. The problem has always been plain strings that were louder than bronze etc. To what material are you referring?

User Info Menu

Just a FYI: the KA Vermont made 12 pole floating PAF can balance D'Daddario P. Bronze lights with no trouble at all. It sounds great in fact.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by furtom

You might want to try Curt Mangan Fusion Matched Monel Electric/Acoustic Strings.I had these on my Eastman 910 and i liked them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    I've used round wound strings that have either been ground (D'Addario ground wound) or compressed (rolled a la Labella, who doesn't seem to make these anymore...boo. or GHS Rollerwound pure nickel).
    Which one I use depends on the instrument. When I want more high end, to bring out the acoustic transients better, I use strings from the GHS set, and for a more rounded, warmer sound, I use the D'Addario, since I can't find LaBella, my first choice.
    I'd suggest you try a few options and decide after they've settled in with a week's playing in. You may find that the secret lies in the mixing of two or three brands. I have two guitars I play primarily and their size, tonal sound and character are different. The string match is different for each instrument. So you might think of strings as offering a spectrum, and you find the right combination that brings out the sound you want.
    Much is in the hands of the beholder. Only you will find that through trial and error.
    Good luck
    Strings by Mail has a good selection of La Bellas: La Bella Electric Guitar Strings

I swear by this company. They ship quickly and their customer service is excellent.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    Strings by Mail has a good selection of La Bellas: La Bella Electric Guitar Strings

I swear by this company. They ship quickly and their customer service is excellent.
    Check out juststrings.com too - I've been getting LaBella Black Nylon Tape flats from them for years.

Cheers

SJ

User Info Menu

I started simple with D'addario round wound 13. The results are rather good. Better than I expected.

The Monel and the GHS will be next!

I'll post a clip as soon as I can get around to it!

Thanks guys.