The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yesterday, the tailpiece on my Eastman Pagelli snapped. On the back of it, there is a crosspiece that is screwed in. Underneath the screw, the wood simply broke. I’ve called Eastman, and though the guitar isn’t under warranty, they said they will send a new tailpiece free of charge.

Im wondering whether I should go with the replacement, or get an aftermarket tailpiece (like the Benedetto sold at StewMac)?

When it broke, I noticed a straight longitudinal line down the middle of the top. It’s either a center break or some other sort of crack (or the start of one). I would think I would have noticed it before, so I’m guessing this happened when all the sting tension released at once. Do I get this looked at/repaired first?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy Pratt
    Yesterday, the tailpiece on my Eastman Pagelli snapped. On the back of it, there is a crosspiece that is screwed in. Underneath the screw, the wood simply broke. I’ve called Eastman, and though the guitar isn’t under warranty, they said they will send a new tailpiece free of charge.

Im wondering whether I should go with the replacement, or get an aftermarket tailpiece (like the Benedetto sold at StewMac)?

When it broke, I noticed a straight longitudinal line down the middle of the top. It’s either a center break or some other sort of crack (or the start of one). I would think I would have noticed it before, so I’m guessing this happened when all the sting tension released at once. Do I get this looked at/repaired first?
    Wow! That's a really bad break (no pun intended)..For sure I would have the crack/line look at first, the luthier could order the new tailpiece (stewmac/ benedetto) or use the one Eastman is sending you..I would take pictures and send these to Eastman, the crack or line definitely does not sound right especially for such a valuable instrument....

Best of luck,

Ray

User Info Menu

i had an eastman 7 string tailpiece break, tho i noticed the crack early enough. It was a prototype that I had bought from Steve Herberman (what a gentleman and fine player). I notified eastman, i wasn't the orig owner, and they told me what you were told. The replacement was better and arrived, free, 2 days later. And tho my handle isn't 'never shoulda sold it', i sure feel that way now as i write this....

User Info Menu

Eastman's customer support is second to none, get in touch with them and they will take care of you.
    Before anyone bashes non usa made goods, remember that Jimmy D'Aquisto designed and built an all wood tailpiece that had multiple failures.

User Info Menu

Good on Eastman for being a standup outfit. I would also approach Stephen Holst to get a replacement tailpiece made. Stephen Holst uses bell-brass for the bracket that attaches to the guitar and tailpiece, and cocobolo or ebony for the tailpiece proper.

User Info Menu

Lou at "Guitars n Jazz" is also a good source for all things Eastman.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RayS
    Wow! That's a really bad break (no pun intended)..
    +++!

I had the tailpiece come loose on a violin when I was a teenager, fortunately in the case and gradually enough that I can't recall any other damage to the instrument. What happens when a wood tailpiece snaps, does the broken-off part get slung across the room taking the bridge with it? Or would that only be with the so much more elastic nylon strings? (Not seeking sensation here!)