The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 54

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I'm found a deal on a used JazzAmp 110 for $250, cash. This will be my first Henriksen. Can't wait to pick it up.
    I my limited experience that would be a very good deal. Maybe prices have changed. Unless it is someone you know and trust, my paranoia kindly suggest you keep both eyes open. If all is good: awesome for you. If all is not, there is always another amp. (Just being supportive). Peace

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    The Blu 10 will do your gig no problem.
    A single 10 amp can hang unmiked in a loud B3 band?
    Would love to hear that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Would love to hear that!
    The ported, closed back cabinet design makes this single 10 combo amp, the equal (or better) of most single 12 combo amps. This amp would surprise you (and please you). Cats like Bruce Forman and Jimmy Bruno are on board. And so am I. The future of jazz guitar amplification has arrived. And carrying a 20 pound amp works well with my 64 year old back!

User Info Menu

Wish I could try one, as some of you guys know I'm a die hard blackface Twin user, even my old Deluxe's and Vibrolux's can't hang unmiked w a dimed B-3 (granted they're only 20 and 35 watts respectively as opposed to 85 for the TR, and I'm not crazy about them miked in an organ setting anyway) Twins just have that huge full sound that cuts. I'm a pretty big guy and the weight of Twins have never been an issue but recent knee problems have me rethinking things.

User Info Menu

Twins just have that huge full sound that cuts. I'm a pretty big guy and the weight of Twins have never been an issue but recent knee problems have me rethinking things.
    Tonemaster Twins are half the weight.

Risk free 30 day return policy. They are only $1299 no tax, free shipping.
    There are coupon codes out there to save a little $$$ if your wallet is a little thin.

User Info Menu

Would love to hear that!
    I brought my orange Cube-60 to a B-3 gig, and it took me three hours to finally get a sound that worked! By that time the gig was just about over.
    Never again!
    I have two definite options- my SF Twin, and a PV EFX112. The third is a little less certain, my AI Corus with an RS-10 extension.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by st.bede
    I my limited experience that would be a very good deal. Maybe prices have changed. Unless it is someone you know and trust, my paranoia kindly suggest you keep both eyes open. If all is good: awesome for you. If all is not, there is always another amp. (Just being supportive). Peace
    Just about everyone here knows the seller, so I'm cool. I just got a report from a friend that says it sounded good through the guitar he just bought.
    Thanks for the concern!

User Info Menu

There is a difference between say 12 and 20 lbs, and it becomes more notable the more you walk to a gig! If someone needs to eventually walk for half a mile (which happens to me from time to time despite using a car), you appreciate the difference, or keep an extra light amp for just that. Same if some days are really busy, and you go lessons-rehearsals-studio-gig or similar..

I play unmiked organ trio gigs in small places often, have done it with lots of these solid state amps with small speakers, and also with the pro junior and the Princeton. If the organ player uses a Leslie cabinet the balance is great, no problems keeping up. But I place the amp strategically, and don't mind a little Grant Green breakup.

All unmiked, here's some that I have videos from:

The pro junior

Lunchbox reverb

Princeton reverb (and this band gets loud!, but it's a small place)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I have a gig at the World Cafe Live in July on which I'm playing "keys" and "sax" on my Roland synth along with guitar - and I'll be using it there. I'll leave my Little Jazz in the trunk and bring it out as a stereo second channel if the Blu 6 isn't enough. But I'm optimistic that it'll do the job.
    What day/night is that Dave? If I'm free I'll definitely be there

jim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    What day/night is that Dave? If I'm free I'll definitely be there jim
    Friday July 8 - I'm playing with the Dukes of Destiny. We even have an opening act!!

User Info Menu

Hey folks,

I lurk once and a while and thought I'd ask a question on this subject. I've heard that the Blu has a slightly better sound than the Bud. I've been thinking of ordering one of them (probably with the 10" speaker), but I wonder about this. I play violin and guitar and I could use two channels, but I'm wondering if any of you have an opinion on this or if the difference is negligible. Thanks,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddleprof
    Hey folks,

I lurk once and a while and thought I'd ask a question on this subject. I've heard that the Blu has a slightly better sound than the Bud. I've been thinking of ordering one of them (probably with the 10" speaker), but I wonder about this. I play violin and guitar and I could use two channels, but I'm wondering if any of you have an opinion on this or if the difference is negligible. Thanks,
    If you are comparing the Blu to the first generation Bud, there will be a difference as the power amps in those two are torally different. But the second generation Bud (the current model) uses the same power amp as the Blu, so they should sound almost the same. The Bud does have an extra tone shaping tool.

I have two Blu's and a friend has one of the newer Buds. I have plugged into his second channel and did not notice any tonal difference from my Blu, but I did not do a side by side comparison.

User Info Menu

Hey folks,

User Info Menu

I sold my original Bud and bought the newer Bud 6, strictly for the lighter weight. (I often need 2 channels, hence the Bud not the Blu.) I didn't get to do a side-by-side, but from memory I don' recall a difference.

User Info Menu

When I switched to Henriksen amps I started with the Bud 6. Amazing sound for its size and very portable, but lacking a bottom end. I then moved up to a Jazz Amp 10, which really nailed the jazz tone I've been after. Then I got an email from Pete about the Bud 12, and ordered one. Have not used my other amps since. The sound is just perfect for traditional jazz guitar, either solo chord melody or single note soloing or combo settings. I don't think many know it exists as it is not even listed under the "amplifiers" section on the Henriksen web site. But you can find it here: The Bud TWELVE - Henriksen Amplifiers

Highly recommended! (I play mainly Gibson and Collings archtops through it, sounds like the jazz recordings from the 1950s, love it).

User Info Menu

Well, Vinny forced me to finally acquire a Rivera JS. This one is a 15” with the Jensen speaker.

This place is dangerous for your wallet. Thanks Vinny!

New Amps day-a711376c-de37-41be-9e5a-da6257115836-jpeg

New Amps day-58feca3a-49fa-44a9-bced-118ace40d31a-jpeg

User Info Menu

That's one of my favorite Rivera amp designs. Back in the day I had a Fender Pro non-reverb w/15" speaker. That amp was awesome. Rivera, as usual, takes his amps to the next level.

Still have your mighty Fender Twin Reverb 15?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    That's one of my favorite Rivera amp designs. Back in the day I had a Fender Pro non-reverb w/15" speaker. That amp was awesome. Rivera, as usual, takes his amps to the next level.

Still have your mighty Fender Twin Reverb 15?
    I just sold it…to help pay for this one!

User Info Menu

Thanks, Stringswinger, CitizenK74, and Woody Sound!

Looks like a Bud is the way to go for me. 10 or 12 inch, not sure yet.

Mark

User Info Menu

Mark
    I would agree that the Bud 6 is a little lacking in bottom compared to a 10 or 12. But for my purposes the convenience and size works well. I have a few other amps when I need more boom. (Quilter, Genzler) Would love to try a Bud 10.

User Info Menu

Good point. The 6-inch one is practically a pocket amp! Same for me; I have a Comins Jazz Amp (Alessandro). I wanted to get a portable solid-state jazz and acoustic amp to update my Polytone. It seems like the Henricksen will be a little more versatile. Looking at the current Raezer's Edge amps too, that some on here have liked.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I would agree that the Bud 6 is a little lacking in bottom compared to a 10 or 12. But for my purposes the convenience and size works well. I have a few other amps when I need more boom. (Quilter, Genzler) Would love to try a Bud 10.
    +1! For gigs demanding more bottom (i.e. flattening the rolloff), I add my 8” RevSound bass cab. A good little cab like this is only an inch larger in each dimension than the Blu / Bud 6 and weighs about 11 pounds. So I carry both the Blu (or my Little Jazz) and the extension cab together in a gym bag.

I’ve learned over the years that what I thought was “better bass” was actually more mid bass from boosted low order even harmonics. Low E on a bass is 41.2 Hz and on a guitar it’s 82.4. So flat response to 50 out of a good speaker gives tight and accurate amplification, even for a 7 string, as long as the amp and speaker are equally excellent.

Fatter bass can make solo playing sound great, especially fingerstyle with a strong bass line, contrapuntal chording, deep inversions etc. But I (and my bass player) find the 6 to achieve a better balance in the band than my bigger amps. The Blu makes tight, well controlled bass, and there’s no bloat in the 100-200 Hz range - I love it!

Mark
    I am really loving my new 10. Great amp. No hiss no hum just great tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Make sure it is the version 2 110 with 120w. The version 1 was very underpowered.
    How do I tell the difference between version 1 and version 2?
    Can version 1 cut through a big band on a solo?