The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 54

User Info Menu

Rivera Jazz Suprema 25w and Henriksen Blu 10.
    Both sound great but the Henriksen is still king of clean.
    Both sound perfect with all EQ’s set at high noon.
    The Rivera had a notch filter you can pull to stop feedback and a focus knob to tighten or loosen the speaker response.
    The Rivera is around 36lbs and the Henriksen is 20lbs.
    The Rivera was around $800 more through Sweetwater with tax.
    No tax on the Henriksen.

New Amps day-cbe1c137-4d1a-43d3-8f79-e25adc548167-jpgNew Amps day-eeecc6a7-ac1c-435a-a911-078d68341c5f-jpeg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow, congrats!! Enjoy!

User Info Menu

i would like a Henriksen 6 they seem hard to find and what is an ok price? I would like to hear the Rivera.

Mark I also have the Blu 6. It is a incredible amp.
    Actually unbelievable for its size. It is $1K.
    They all come with very well made carrying cases with a shoulder strap.

User Info Menu

A couple of very, very nice amps! Congratulations, and play them in good health!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    i would like a Henriksen 6 they seem hard to find and what is an ok price?
    Used Blus are as rare as hens' teeth. You can still get a new one from Henriksen for $999, although there's now a warning on the website that says "Due to high demand, please allow 7-10 business days for shipping". So the new batch that was completed a few weeks ago is probably nearing depletion. Fortunately, I got mine last Thursday - and it's every bit as wonderful as everyone says it is. If I need more output, I can use my RevSound RS8 or my RE 10 as an extension. But to be honest, I can't imagine needing more than the stock 6 delivers.

I have a gig at the World Cafe Live in July on which I'm playing "keys" and "sax" on my Roland synth along with guitar - and I'll be using it there. I'll leave my Little Jazz in the trunk and bring it out as a stereo second channel if the Blu 6 isn't enough. But I'm optimistic that it'll do the job.

User Info Menu

The more I use my Henriksen Blu 6 and my Henriksen Blu 10, the less I think I need my Clarus or my Princeton.

A Gibson archtop with TI strings played through a Henriksen Blu gives me the jazz guitar sound that I hear in my head. And that inspires my playing.

User Info Menu

To those who have both a 6" and 10" -- which do you prefer, if you could only have one?

To the OP who already had a 6" and then went out and bought the 10": what did the 6" lack that you were trying to fulfill with the 10", and is it an improvement? Are there any ways that the 6" is better than the 10" besides marginal size/weight difference?

User Info Menu

Anyone have experience with the Phil Jones Bass (7”/40watts) amp?
    New they’re in the 360 range. Might be a good contender?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Years ago, they sent me one for free in exchange for an endorsement and I sent it back. Between the Phil Jones Cub and the Henriksen Blu or Bud, the Henriksens win hands down.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markesquire
    To those who have both a 6" and 10" -- which do you prefer, if you could only have one?

To the OP who already had a 6" and then went out and bought the 10": what did the 6" lack that you were trying to fulfill with the 10", and is it an improvement? Are there any ways that the 6" is better than the 10" besides marginal size/weight difference?
    I have both and prefer the 6 for it's more even, balanced tone. For a bigger room, the 10 does better, the 6 needs an extension cabinet, the 10 does not.

The 6 and 10 have the same power. The 10 has a lot more bass. Both are great.

User Info Menu

I had the Phil Jones AAD Cub AG-100 for some time. Nice amp, could do acoustic guitars and jazz, was warm enough.

But the AER was more "real" sounding for acoustics, and after buying a Henriksen I sold the Phil Jones (to a violinist friend who gigs it a lot - she liked it so much she bought a second one after it got stolen). I would put the Phil Jones in the Dv Mark category, it's certainly giggable.

User Info Menu

A funny thing with amps, over time they either grow on you, or they don't. Some amps you like forever, some others you outgrow in months or even years..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    I've had two PJBs, a Cub 100 and a Briefcase. Both were great amplifiers with wonderful tone, although the Cub wasn't loud enough for anything but small gigs. The Briefcase was a very fine amp for guitar, bass, and keys. And PJBs are pretty much bulletproof. I once called them to get a replacement locking ring for one of the jacks on the Briefcase, and Phil answered the phone. We talked for about half an hour, and I asked him about the 4" drivers. He told me that up to that time (which was after they'd already sold hundreds and hundreds of them in various amps), they had never had a warranty claim on a driver.

And they sent me a few of those locking rings the next day, free of charge even though my warranty was long expired.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the PJB info!
    Thinking about something small, SS, doubt it will ever gig.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markesquire

Are there any ways that the 6" is better than the 10" besides marginal size/weight difference?
    Well I hate to nitpick, but the difference is hardly marginal. 9" vs 14", 12 lbs vs 20 lbs. For perspective, think of adding or removing an 8 lb sack of potatoes. Another important difference is that the 6 port fires down from the bottom, where on the 10 it's on the front. In any case, my Bud 6 (2 ch) is fantastic.

User Info Menu

What a great thread.
    It still amazes me that an amp with a 6” speaker can be so highly regarded.
    But I am not surprised. The great JazzAmp 110 is an amp that I really enjoy. It really is all the amp I will ever really need.
    Marco, you nailed it when you said (and I slightly modified), “A Gibson, Ti’s and a Henriksen is that sound I hear in my head”. Perfectly said. Perfection.
    JD

User Info Menu

Congratulations Vinny! I’ve always wanted a Rivera Suprema, and the Hendriksen Blu sounds killer. There’s nothing like some new toys!

User Info Menu

Nice! Congrats! I love my Blu 10.

User Info Menu

I'm found a deal on a used JazzAmp 110 for $250, cash. This will be my first Henriksen. Can't wait to pick it up.

User Info Menu

What is their most powerful/biggest sounding amp and could it keep up in a Hammond B3 band unmiked?

I love the 6 but IMO the 10 just has a much bigger fuller sound. Also the 6 must be off the ground like on a stool or chair to sound really good. On the floor it sounds boxy.

I can say this the 25w Rivera is WAY louder then the 120w Henriksen. Luckily it has a 12w half power switch.

20lbs is nothing after lugging Twins around for decades.

The 6 is a marvel because of the great sound out of a very small box.
    The 10 is my favorite still light but a tone monster that can handle everything.
    The 12 a absolute tone beast with bass that will straighten curly hair but still only weighs 32lbs.

The Rivera has Twin tube tone with great reverb, mids, and highs but I think the bigger Henriksens have better bass though the speaker isn't broken in yet. It has a Celestion T75. I am not a big fan of Celestions. I may change that speaker down the road to maybe a Cannabis Rex or something else.
    My Tone King had a Celestion Creamback and I didn't like the amp. I put in a CR and it sweetened it up nicely. Also the Rivera has all EH tubes which I don't care for though Paul Rivera says he likes those the very best but he looks at it as a dependable long lasting stance and me I don't care about long life. For me it is about the tone and quiet noise floor.
    This works for me...( V1 TAD 5751/ V2 TAD 7025/ V3 TAD 7025/ 6V6's JJ. )

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I'm found a deal on a used JazzAmp 110 for $250, cash. This will be my first Henriksen. Can't wait to pick it up.
    Make sure it is the version 2 110 with 120w. The version 1 was very underpowered.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    What is their most powerful/biggest sounding amp and could it keep up in a Hammond B3 band unmiked?
    The Blu 10 will do your gig no problem.