The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

Hi all,
    After many years away from gigging I am thinking of doing some local pub gigs. I don't have an amp at present. I need a light easily portable 20 watt amp for around £100-£200 range, I was pondering an Orange Crush 20 but wanted to get some other recommendations. I play in a piano, bass and guitar trio so the amp doesn't need to be massively loud and I play clean. I can't afford any tube amps, I am just playing for a hobby so something simple and functional is fine.

Thanks in advance

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Fender champion is terrific value for money

User Info Menu

Having made almost 500 cabs I think I know something about jazz guitar sound. But when you say "amp" you probably mean "combo." A few years ago I spent some time at a music store loaded with combos of different makes and price categories. The best jazz sound in my opinion came from a lowly Fender Champion. Can't remember the wattage but pretty sure it was 40. If you accept secondhand, look at black Roland Cube 60s from circa 2010.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohanAbrandt
    +1 for the Fender Champion 20. I use mine all the time for small gigs and jams. Sounds great, surprisingly loud, very portable, indestructible, and cheap. Best 100 bucks I ever spent.

User Info Menu

You can get good sounds using the new modelling technology in many amps. You said you want easily portable, so why not get something new like the Nux 20 watt Mighty 20 BT - NUX I am getting nice sounds from their tiny 3 watt version.

User Info Menu

Find a used Roland cube 2o gx Good power very reliable.. Mickmac

Quote Originally Posted by JohanAbrandt
    Thanks, I will put on my list investigate!

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Having made almost 500 cabs I think I know something about jazz guitar sound. But when you say "amp" you probably mean "combo." A few years ago I spent some time at a music store loaded with combos of different makes and price categories. The best jazz sound in my opinion came from a lowly Fender Champion. Can't remember the wattage but pretty sure it was 40. If you accept secondhand, look at black Roland Cube 60s from circa 2010.
    Yes I mean combo! Sorry for not being clear. Both sound like good choices and are going on my list

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mickmac
    Find a used Roland cube 2o gx Good power very reliable.. Mickmac
    Any of the Roland Cube amps from their 20 to 80 watt series should be considered.

They are a bargain on the used market, offer bullet proof reliability and have great tone.

User Info Menu

I have heard high praise for the Fender Champ 20. It should fit you pocket, light and portable as well. Enjoy your gig!

User Info Menu

You might consider a Quilter Superblock US running through an efficient external speaker cab. Mine can get quite loud and sounds really good. (Sorry—after re-reading, I guess this might be outside your price range.)

User Info Menu

I just happened to be at out local retailer today with my guitar (for entirely different reasons) and they had the Fender Champion 20 in stock. I couldn't believe that something as small and cheap as that could be as useful as you all say so I gave it a try. My guitar is tuned down to D and I play with a lot of low end so I was pretty sure it would flab out. Wrong .... absolutely wrong. I was amazed at how good it sounded. I probably wouldn't want it to be my primary amp but I'd have no problem playing a small restaurant with that amp. Amazing bang for the buck.

User Info Menu

The Black Panel (green) setting on the Champion 20 is excellent for cleans. The built-in reverb is not good however, but tolerable at a low settings. I use a pedal in front and it works well. Overall, it's hard to beat for the $$ as a home practice amp.

User Info Menu

I have literally zero need for another amp, but now I want a Fender Champion 20 LOL

User Info Menu

Champion 20 or 40 are surprisingly good. I have about similar combo Fender Princeton 112 (totally solid state) as a rehearsal room amp and when I play it I always wonder where I need my other amps. Great Fender cleans and enough loud.

80€ used. Not bad!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    I have literally zero need for another amp, but now I want a Fender Champion 20 LOL
    Yea, me too. I see a 20 and a 40 available locally on Kijiji. Damn it !

User Info Menu

I've been looking around amps these past two weeks and one of the best if not the best sounding combos on YouTube was Quilter head + TOOB speaker cabinet. Look it up, it seems to work really well. That may be due to the fact there are more jazz guitarists posting videos of that rig than of the other propositions I was looking at (HX Stomp, Quilter Aviator Cub, Boss Nextone, Fender Tone Master, Fender Mustang GTX100 in particular), but boy, what a nice sound. It's above the budget you stated but still good value for the money it would seem (will work equally well at home and for the gig).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    I have literally zero need for another amp
    If I used that criterion, I’d still have the ‘59 345 and BF Pro I had in high school, Jim………..and a lot more money!

User Info Menu

Here is another suggestion. I have a zt lunchbox (200 watts), and I use it more often then I thought I would. They are just very portable and not heavy. I put a few pedal in front of mine, and that way I have more control over the tone. They cost a bit more used then what you are looking for, but are so easy to use. I have carried mine in a back pack, in a gig bag attached to my guitar, also in a large pedal board bag with a smaller pedal board. I would not get the zt lunchbox with less wattage then the 200. The speaker and cab is small, and in my limited experience, needs the extra watts. They sound a little thick for Jazz, kinda bassman-ish, but it has worked pretty good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by st.bede
    Here is another suggestion. I have a zt lunchbox (200 watts), and I use it more often then I thought I would. They are just very portable and not heavy. I put a few pedal in front of mine, and that way I have more control over the tone. They cost a bit more used then what you are looking for, but are so easy to use. I have carried mine in a back pack, in a gig bag attached to my guitar, also in a large pedal board bag with a smaller pedal board. I would not get the zt lunchbox with less wattage then the 200. The speaker and cab is small, and in my limited experience, needs the extra watts. They sound a little thick for Jazz, kinda bassman-ish, but it has worked pretty good.
    Some very good players have used and recommended the ZT Lunchbox.

My experience with the original LB was that I couldn't get a sound I liked no matter what I did. Its useful volume wasn't really that much more than my 12 watt Crate practice amp GFX15. EDIT: Here's why. In order to get any bass response from it at all (and not have it sound screechy) it had to be flat on the floor. So, typically, it would be aimed at people's ankles. A lot of the sound seemed to get absorbed. But, I could put the Crate up as high as I liked on any surface and it always sounded good (it's a surprisingly good sounding amp). So, as a practical matter, the Crate up well off the floor, competed with the LB on the floor.

So, I'd strongly suggest a return privilege.
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 05-24-2022 at 07:41 PM.

User Info Menu

I 've had both Lunchbox amps. The first one was 200 watt peak, not Rms, so in practice i 'd say it was as loud as an aer or first generation henriksen, around 60 watts solid state. Loud enough to gig with if you like the sound, which was very mid heavy. The second one with the reverb sounds a lot different, less gain and volume, more balanced sound, less dynamic. I prefer the first one.

However they are both more expensive than the Roland solutions. The roland cubes are not fancy or the latest thing, but are completely giggable and trouble free. I would personally get something at least 40 watts if solid state, so it can hang on louder gigs as well. I have the Roland xl40, it can gig anywhere in a jazz context and volume.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Well, I'm now a believer. Picked up at Champion 20 (John A) and a Champion 40 (Gitterbug) , both used and at very affordable prices. What a pleasant surprise. Great clean 'jazz tone' and great bang for the buck.

User Info Menu

Glad you found the right amps.

Thank you for the information alter. I did not know that the one with reverb was different. I definitely would not want to lose any volume on the amp. Depending on the acoustics of the room and what I am doing I can push the amp pretty high.

They are not cheap, but I was able to find a couple used at a decent price. I still felt like I paid too much.

You are correct with the mid range thing. I have found that putting the right pedal in front of it helps a lot.

Alter, I do not know if you are a pedal person. I would love to hear what your experiences are. I sure, I would never use my ZT without a pedal.

As mentioned above, as far as bass goes. I tend to try to get my guitar to sit in the mid to upper mid range, (mostly depending on where the singers voice is) and I let the bass player deal with all of the low notes.

(In all honesty, I kinda hate shearing chords. It could be based on that my hands are small, and back when I was 16 I was told that I am a lead guitarist. I was too young to question the wisdom, or lack of wisdom in that statement).

User Info Menu

Maybe silly but a Joyo Bantam blue jay + bantcab?
    20w, tube front end, SS back end?
    Cab is a 8” Jenson of some sort?

about AU$380 so should make your budget.

User Info Menu

Alter, I do not know if you are a pedal person. I would love to hear what your experiences are. I sure, I would never use my ZT without a pedal.
    I have dozens of pedals from years of session work in various genres, but mostly i like to just play the amp if i can. To me the first Zt lunchbox sounds like a tweed amp, very mid heavy and dynamic, which works for me fine without pedals. I used to carry a reverb pedal with it, but i don't really need it for small gigs as the room reverb is more than enough usually.

I prefer EQ pedals to drive pedals, so sometimes i would use the Boss EQ7 with it, with fine results. The only drive it doesn't really like is a tubescreamer type, as it has lots of mids already. If you like pedals, flat boosters work great with it.

Here's the first lunchbox with a tele and an RC Booster, miked

And the second reverb one with more of a jazzy sound, unmiked (Hammond player is playing with a leslie cabinet, also unmiked).