The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 41 of 41

User Info Menu

The Fretboard has a current thread, 'I’d forgotten how good an old Peavey Bandit is...'

They are loved on The Gear Page.

Also on TGP, a thread titled, 'Hiwatt for Jazz?' This I want to hear, from a great distance.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Reminds me of a dialog from an old movie I saw in my youth:

Bandit: "You know, Gringo, I use to kill for money. But you, Gringo, you are my friend. You I would kill for nothing."

Sendt fra min SM-T810 med Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Leif_Olstrup
    Reminds me of a dialog from an old movie I saw in my youth:

Bandit: "You know, Gringo, I use to kill for money. But you, Gringo, you are my friend. You I would kill for nothing."

Sendt fra min SM-T810 med Tapatalk
    The Cocoanuts - Wikipedia

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    The Fretboard has a current thread, 'I’d forgotten how good an old Peavey Bandit is...'

Also on TGP, a thread titled, 'Hiwatt for Jazz?' This I want to hear, from a great distance.

And with a Hiwatt, you can! I had a 100 watt Hiwatt through 4-12" Fane speaker (Sound City, IIRC) cab. More than loud. Seismic. Serious iron. Seriously heavy iron. Too fleet for street, for sure.

User Info Menu

You lucky man. If I had the money, I would buy one, and a barn to play it in.

User Info Menu

Perfect for a Sunday lunch gig in town

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    And with a Hiwatt, you can! I had a 100 watt Hiwatt through 4-12" Fane speaker (Sound City, IIRC) cab. More than loud. Seismic. Serious iron. Seriously heavy iron. Too fleet for street, for sure.
    It's different strokes for different folks. I was leading the house band at a blues jam in a microbrewery's bar room just before Covid hit, and a guy we never saw before walked in pushing a 100W Marshall head on a 4x12 half stack cab with his strat lying across the top. We told him he didn't need his own amp and should use one of the 3 amps in the backline. "But then I wouldn't sound like me!"
    Last edited by nevershouldhavesoldit; 05-10-2022 at 12:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Here's the kicker. I last saw that amp in the basement pool room/practice room of a pal I jammed with, along with our drummer friend. Getting the head and speaker box downstairs was such a hassle, I ended up giving it to my friend and leaving it there.

BTW, these are the guys who roped me into the infamous Labor Day Biker party referenced elsewhere in these chronicles. Where I used my '64 Vibroverb, much handier for a quick getaway! *

Surreal Stories From The Bandstand Collection Thread

* On topic: Mark used a Peavey Bandit for the gig. circle of Life, etc.

User Info Menu

These guys did just fine with Peaveys.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    It's different strokes for different folks. I was leading the house band at a blues jam in a microbrewery's bar room just before Covid hit, and a guy we never saw before walked in pushing a 100W Marshall head on a 4x12 half stack cab with his strat lying across the top. We told him he didn't need his own amp and should use one of the 3 amps in the backline. "But then I wouldn't sound like me!"
    That could be a good thing...

I'm am trying to think of any great guitarist who would not sound just as good playing a small amp in a small club...in fact a LOT of great guitarists like Eric Clapton and Frank Zappa and Joe Walsh did their great recordings with tiny Fender Champs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I keep hoping Peavey will put out a version with a built-in delay and call it Time Bandit. That would leave no room for reverb, so they'd bundle it with a Holy Grail pedal, for something completely different.
    NOBODY expects the Time Bandit model!

User Info Menu

The trouble with these strat-and-a-stack chaps is they do not sound like themselves. They sound like pale imitations of guitarists who died decades ago, or those who are associated with particular pieces of kit. Amateur rock guitar is all about imitation. These days, Hiwatts are in the hands of men who want to sound like Dave Gilmour, but fail in that regard. They spend their free time searching for tone, at great cost, when they could be playing music, free.
    Last edited by Litterick; 05-10-2022 at 07:10 PM.

User Info Menu

The trouble with these strat-and-a-stack chaps is they do not sound like themselves. They sound like pale imitations of guitarists who died decades ago, or those who are associated with particular pieces of kit. Amateur rock guitar is all about imitation. These days, Hiwatts are in the hands of men who want to sound like Dave Gilmour, but fail in that regard. They spend their free time searching for tone, at great cost, when they could be playing music, free.
    Pot calling the kettle black.

User Info Menu

Who, me? I improvise everything. I play no tunes. I have no sound in my head. I have no pedals. I let the guitar and the amp do their own thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    That could be a good thing...

I'm am trying to think of any great guitarist who would not sound just as good playing a small amp in a small club...in fact a LOT of great guitarists like Eric Clapton and Frank Zappa and Joe Walsh did their great recordings with tiny Fender Champs.
    Like I always say, it ain’t what you play - it’s how you play it.

And I’ve always been amazed at how good a “proper” 8” Champ sounds. The simple 5E1 and 5F1 versions are amazingly responsive to playing style and can do anything from a decent jazz tone at low volumes to a sweet blooming blues tone when cranked. The “enhanced” tube Champs are also fine - Rivera’s Super Champ is a well deserved legend.

User Info Menu

Who, me? I improvise everything. I play no tunes. I have no sound in my head. I have no pedals. I let the guitar and the amp do their own thing.

I just assumed you were an archtop playing jazzer who was judging strat blues guys.