The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 46 of 46

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Mack
    Why play what everyone else is playing?
    Well, since the OP wants to play jazz and blues he could get the ultimate guitar for the latter and have something almost no one plays for jazz: a resonator. The acoustic version should travel quite well because they're more compact than a classical and built of either sturdy plywood that won't crack easily or metal that'll ding rather than crack. Then there's the electric version like the National Resolectric (contrary to regular e-guitars these do have an actual acoustic voice that could be appropriate for playing in small, shared quarters).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iwantotlearnjazzhelp
    Hey everybody,

I have always been a rock player, about 2 years ago discovered the blues and it's been my favorite genre to listen to/ play since. I've recently been discovering jazz and have been looking for a jazz guitar. I have a Squier J. Mascis Jazzmaster which works beautifully. I know jazz can be played on any type of guitar, but there's just a classic look of a arch top guitar like Wes Montgomery played and I really want one. I am currently looking for one and I was wondering what y'all would think about it. Should I stick with. My solid body jazz guitar or go for an arch top? On a second note, I am considering going into the military and I assume traveling/ flying with an arch top would be way more difficult than a solid body. All in all, thank you for your answers in advance.

Best,
    iwanttolearnjazzhelp

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohanAbrandt
    Isnt that a fender jaguar?

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk
    No, it is a Jazzmaster. There are also lots of pics of Joe with a Jaguar*, which was the house guitar he had at Synanon. An admirer gave him the 175 he would eventually play until he got his D'Aquisto and subsequently his Ibanez Joe Pass model.

* The Jaguar has switches on the upper bout which the Jazzmaster in the photo lacks. At least my '64 does.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    No, it is a Jazzmaster. There are also lots of pics of Joe with a Jaguar*, which was the house guitar he had at Synanon. An admirer gave him the 175 he would eventually play until he got his D'Aquisto and subsequently his Ibanez Joe Pass model.

* The Jaguar has switches on the upper bout which the Jazzmaster in the photo lacks. At least my '64 does.
    You are right about the upper switches, but that guitar has the Jag’s lower slide switches—a Jazz would have a toggle switch there. Also, those don’t look like Jazzmaster pickups. I’m not sure what it is.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74

Yeah, there is something fishy with it, not a jaguar not a jazzmaster. Wonder if there is a story there somewhere.

User Info Menu

It’s a Fender VI

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    It’s a Fender VI
    Good catch

User Info Menu

1950's Gibson ES-125 is a rock solid guitar

User Info Menu

Gibson ES339 or ES390.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    Danny W.,
    That's so cool!
    Thanks.
    Glad you like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg
    Nice!

My current band has 3 members (sax, trumpet, and guitar) that made a full career as US Army musicians including full retirement benefits.

Unfortunately, the US military has been cutting back on their bands. Not sure what opportunities there will be in the future for military musicians in the US.
    All the players in that band were in the service, but the only one of us that was in a military band was the bass player, who was Air Force. He sometimes had to play in a combo led by his commanding officer--there was another AF bassist who subbed with us when that happened. Both were outstanding musicians, as was everyone in the band, except perhaps for me. The rest of us had rather diverse day gigs in the Army. The singer was a civilian, but worked for one of the services.

My big band has several players who were in military bands, but only one, a trombone player, was a lifer. Since she was a Sgt Major, I don't mess with her.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    It’s a Fender VI
    Well duh! Thanks!

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W.
    Glad you like it.

All the players in that band were in the service, but the only one of us that was in a military band was the bass player, who was Air Force. He sometimes had to play in a combo led by his commanding officer--there was another AF bassist who subbed with us when that happened. Both were outstanding musicians, as was everyone in the band, except perhaps for me. The rest of us had rather diverse day gigs in the Army. The singer was a civilian, but worked for one of the services.

My big band has several players who were in military bands, but only one, a trombone player, was a lifer. Since she was a Sgt Major, I don't mess with her.

Danny W.
    LOL

Yes.

Don't mess with Sgt Majors.

User Info Menu

one caveat is that you might over time find that you've been conditioned to like Jazzmasters, even for jazz. I played strats exclusively the first ten years I played, and even though I have and have had other more "jazz appropriate" guitars, there is feeling of home base about those stats. Even for jazz.

So if you like playing that jazzmaster, keep playing it.

User Info Menu

I have hybrid Strat quite good for jazz and blues.
    It has chambered mahogany body with hardtail bridge.
    Exelent sound for jazz and blues.Great sustain!

User Info Menu

Since you are concerned about travel, consider a Telecaster. I found this photo of a Stratocaster in a suitcase. A Tele would be a little easier to set up after reassembling since it has a hardtail bridge.

Best Jazz Guitar for Jazz & Blues?-42bc62fd-5918-41c1-a796-2d553b659a9f-jpeg

User Info Menu

If travel light is a concern then I’d get a steinberger spirit and a mooer ge200 and be set. The headless bat has some jazz provenience btw

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    When James Blunt was serving with the Blues and Royals in Kosovo, he had his acoustic guitar strapped to the back of his tank.
    that was a Seagull S6 I think he mentioned once - they seem to be quite a durable guitar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    Since you are concerned about travel, consider a Telecaster. I found this photo of a Stratocaster in a suitcase. A Tele would be a little easier to set up after reassembling since it has a hardtail bridge.

Best Jazz Guitar for Jazz & Blues?-42bc62fd-5918-41c1-a796-2d553b659a9f-jpeg
    I did same with my Goodtime Banjo when i went to Africa - Banjo had the advantage that you could fill the pot with clothes!

Hey everybody,
    Thank you all for your generous replies! I have been a bit busy this week, but thought I'd answer you all at once. First, thank you for your recommendations on guitars. I love my jazzmaster and have been considering replacing my neck pickup with a Curtis Novak JM-V and my bridge with a JM-T. I can still get jazz tones and when I play blues switch to the tele style pickup to get twang. I'm also considering replacing the floating tremolo with a hardtail conversion plate, would it be better to keep that or replace the tremolo? I have chosen the US Navy and hope to do something in construction or something on a ship. Of course, I wouldn't be able to travel abroad on a ship with my guitar, but I could always get an inexpensive travel acoustic to pass the time with. Thank you all again for your recommendations and I hope to connect with you all as I walk down this jazz journey.
    Best,
    Iwantotlearnjazzhelp

User Info Menu

... I've recently been discovering jazz and have been looking for a jazz guitar. I have a Squier J. Mascis Jazzmaster which works beautifully. ... On a second note, I am considering going into the military and I assume traveling/ flying with a [guitar] ...
    Your current guitar, whatever it is, would work just fine for jazz, because it's the player, not the guitar. If you can afford to dedicate the guitar only for jazz, you might try blocking the vibrato system and starting to use heavier strings. But a solidbody will survive travel easier than a hollowbody.

However, if you really want to buy a guitar, think practically for now. You're only starting in jazz, and it seems disproportionate for you to spend a lot of money on an archtop until you have some experience and learn better what will produce the sounds you want. Plus, the travel possibility could be a problem - it's difficult to travel with a large guitar.

If you want to get away from solidbodies, I would suggest you look at some smaller hollowbodies or semihollowbodies. The Ibanez AMH90 is hollow, sounds good, is small and light, and plays well, at around US$700; their AM93 is semihollow, same size as the AMH90, and also costs around $700. The PRS SE Hollowbody Standard, Hollowbody II, and Hollowbody II Piezo are also good bets, at prices from about $1000 to $1600. Because of the geometry of the body, the PRS might (might!) hang better on a strap than the Ibanez.

User Info Menu

Hey everybody,
    Thank you all for your generous replies! I have been a bit busy this week, but thought I'd answer you all at once. First, thank you for your recommendations on guitars. I love my jazzmaster and have been considering replacing my neck pickup with a Curtis Novak JM-V and my bridge with a JM-T. I can still get jazz tones and when I play blues switch to the tele style pickup to get twang. I'm also considering replacing the floating tremolo with a hardtail conversion plate, would it be better to keep that or replace the tremolo? I have chosen the US Navy and hope to do something in construction or something on a ship. Of course, I wouldn't be able to travel abroad on a ship with my guitar, but I could always get an inexpensive travel acoustic to pass the time with. Thank you all again for your recommendations and I hope to connect with you all as I walk down this jazz journey.
    Best,
    Iwantotlearnjazzhelp
    Congrats on going Navy, HooYah! I would say though that going in with a college degree is absolutely the way to go, if you want to make it a career. It is a completely different job/career/salary as an officer. One of my daughters is a carrier assigned SWO Nuke and the difference is real. Also, maybe waiting to see if you end up in Japan, at Yokozuka, would give you access to the whole Japanese guitar market in Tokyo. There are tons of guitar stores there like you almost never see here, even in big cities like NYC.
    Anyway, this a great crowd to learn from, and there are a ton of free lessons on the site here as well. And once again congrats on going Navy

User Info Menu

Whatever guitar I have for sale on this forum at any given time is the best jazz guitar for jazz and blues.