The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Does anyone know about the quality of Tim Bram archtops? Or has anyone actually played one?

They are in the shape of a Telecaster, but fully carved.
    The site is at: Home | timbramguitars

I was considering one as the cost is reasonable and time to get one is not too long.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Charley

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi -- yes, they're very cool!

User Info Menu

Why do I click on this stuff when I have no extra cash?

User Info Menu

Anyone play one? Do you think that they have much of an acoustic voice?

User Info Menu

How much do these run?

User Info Menu

Check out Tim Lerch

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 6v6ster
    How much do these run?
    There are two new Bram's on Reverb right now: $6400.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Check out Tim Lerch
    Wow, he even does some fingerpicking allowing a better idea of the guitar's true voice (But why does no one ever think of giving a good idea of how the basses sound?!)

User Info Menu

Yes, I know Tim and he's a great guy - and along with the good cats on JGF, I wouldn't have been able to complete my build without his guidance.

We got together during the Artisan guitar show a couple of weeks ago, and I was able to play all 3 of his guitars on display (my first exposure in person). He is a cabinet maker-turned luthier and strives to ensure the quality of his instruments are top-notch.

In particular, I was really impressed with the spruce/cherry guitar from the guitar show. The fretboard was fantastic and I really was pleasantly surprised with the acoustics of the guitar. I thought it sounded wonderful through the amp, as well. He also makes a non-cut 16" body guitar that a player at the show was lusting after, but he's gaining attention for his telecaster tribute model.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Wow, he even does some fingerpicking allowing a better idea of the guitar's true voice (But why does no one ever think of giving a good idea of how the basses sound?!)
    Because in order to really hear/capture the lows from a guitar - or any instrument - you need a suitable mic and the listener needs a proper speaker. An iPhone simply cannot pick up all the needed sonic information. This explains why most guitars sound practically the same
    when listening to the numerous clips on this forum and most elsewhere too .... the compression/reduction that happens during the youtube conversion doesn't help either.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    Because in order to really hear/capture the lows from a guitar - or any instrument - you need a suitable mic and the listener needs a proper speaker. An iPhone simply cannot pick up all the needed sonic information. This explains why most guitars sound practically the same
    when listening to the numerous clips on this forum and most elsewhere too .... the compression/reduction that happens during the youtube conversion doesn't help either.
    I won't contradict you on that, but I'm not convinced. Not playing any real basses seems to be specific to archtop demos and undoubtedly related to the typical kind of repertoire.
    Besides, our brains can reconstruct the root from the harmonics (also, iPhones have long had quite capable mics onboard ... and demos are typically recorded with slightly more appropriate equipment, no?).

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Why do I click on this stuff when I have no extra cash?
    Nothing wrong with window shopping! It's a form of indirect positive reinforcement. At least, that's what I tell myself....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sbeishline
    Yes, I know Tim and he's a great guy - and along with the good cats on JGF, I wouldn't have been able to complete my build without his guidance.

We got together during the Artisan guitar show a couple of weeks ago, and I was able to play all 3 of his guitars on display (my first exposure in person). He is a cabinet maker-turned luthier and strives to ensure the quality of his instruments are top-notch.

In particular, I was really impressed with the spruce/cherry guitar from the guitar show. The fretboard was fantastic and I really was pleasantly surprised with the acoustics of the guitar. I thought it sounded wonderful through the amp, as well. He also makes a non-cut 16" body guitar that a player at the show was lusting after, but he's gaining attention for his telecaster tribute model.
    I thinking strongly of ordering one from him. I saw one of his on Reverb that has a Black (spruce) top and brownish curly maple sides and back with a Koa pickguard . That one as well as the cheery one really appealed to me.

So, you think the unplugged acoustic sound was good?
    How was the string spacing at the bridge? Was it wide enough for fingerstyle?

--Charley

User Info Menu

String spacing seemed fine to me. I didn't have a pick and was playing fingerstyle, and thought it played great. I guess everyone's finger size/prefs are unique, but I really loved playing it. I mean, I bet if you're having one built for you, he'd do whatever you're looking for. You should call him up and talk with him - he's a super dude. I think Brent Mason has/plays one, and I think he's a finger picker, is that right? If it works for that caliber of player, I'm sure it ain't too bad! haha

I was surprised that the sound was bigger than I assumed it'd be, being that is 14.5" and 2.5" (I think). It's certainly no L5/D'A huge jazz box sound, but I thought it was a nice sounding instrument. I bet he can send you some sound clips.