The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

Hi Everyone,

I bought my first archtop a while back, a Peerless Monarch, and it's got me hooked on the archtop sound! It's a fantastic instrument, but I'm thinking of upgrading to a higher end solid carved archtop guitar. I'm looking for something fairly traditional, spruce top, maple back and sides, a decently thick neck, floating pickup, no preference on scale length. What's been on my radar has been older Heritage Eagles and Guild Artist Awards (probably westerly era). I'd love a Gibson but I think an L5 is a little out of my price range and the electric models typically have set pickups. I'm also aware of more boutique brands like Campellone and AJL and some others. I'm curious, who else out there is building carved archtop a in the $3-5k range?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BreckerFan
    Hi Everyone,

I bought my first archtop a while back, a Peerless Monarch, and it's got me hooked on the archtop sound! It's a fantastic instrument, but I'm thinking of upgrading to a higher end solid carved archtop guitar. I'm looking for something fairly traditional, spruce top, maple back and sides, a decently thick neck, floating pickup, no preference on scale length. What's been on my radar has been older Heritage Eagles and Guild Artist Awards (probably westerly era). I'd love a Gibson but I think an L5 is a little out of my price range and the electric models typically have set pickups. I'm also aware of more boutique brands like Campellone and AJL and some others. I'm curious, who else out there is building carved archtop a in the $3-5k range?
    I suppose maybe some are but building a handmade carved top and selling it in that range it will be impossible to make any money. I suppose on could but realistically a fine carved top guitar by an individual builder is going to easily run more than $5k. Some of your options depends on where you live and availability of fine guitars. Where do you live. If you want to really start I suggest a Gibson L7 or L4 and then any carved top Heritage. At least with these you get something you can sell if you change your mind. Buying a carved top guitar from a independent luthier is fine but has risks. The good ones are expensive and the unknowns are not really sellable unless at a fire sale,

User Info Menu

Do you care about origin?
    if not- try Eastman.

User Info Menu

For lower priced carved archtops Eastman is the easiest to find in the states and can be a step up from a Peerless.

Or order direct from China. Lots of folks on here have done this and can help you with the process and can tell you if this would be an improvement over your Peerless.

https://yunzhiguitar.diytrade.com/sd...5691916/0.html

Yunzhi has a couple of guitars that tempt me very much.

For North American archtop makers one alternative is to get a solid top with laminated back and sides. This can save you some money as well.

Heritage guitars and used Guild Artist Awards can be awesome guitars and they aren't too crazy in prices either.

Currently there are some Gibson L4 CES guitars on Reverb listed between $4K and $5500K US. These are great guitars. They are similar to the Gibson 175, but with a solid top and usually solid backs and sides. I have 1988 L4 CES and love it.

User Info Menu

A Heritage Eagle is mos. def. the best choice within your budget and these are not too hard to find. An Ibanez GB5 (a rare bird but really nice), Gibson L4 (16" /solid woods), Guild X500/700 - as always, it's important to play as may different ones as possible to build up a sonic/haptic memory bank before spending a large sum.... enjoy the journey !

User Info Menu

» Victor Baker Guitars NYC

Vitor Baker looks interesting with some guitars in your price range.

You may have to call to get current prices, though.

I've been drooling over Holst guitars for some time now.

luthier stephen holst archtop guitars

You might be able to get Triggs to build something in your price range.

Triggs Guitars

User Info Menu

Well Lately Victor Bakers guitar seem to be well above the $5k asking prices on the used market. Maybe he’s in big demand lately?
    Campellone, Holst, Painter, Fibonacci, Loar, Elferink, a couple of others at below $5k.

User Info Menu

Steve Holst will build one to your specs for $5k. It’ll be a fantastic guitar too.

luthier stephen holst archtop guitars

User Info Menu

Here's a good place to start:
    A List of Experienced US Archtop Luthiers

Other than going to Yunzhi or Mr. Wu in China as mentioned above, I think there are few builders from whom you could commission a carved spruce top/carved maple back guitar with a big neck for under $5,000.

As mentioned, based on their website information, Steve Holst currently charges $5,000. Mark Campellone's Standard model currently starts at $5,295 (with no pickup), and Triggs pricing for hand-carved archtops currently starts at $5,500. Some of the UK/European builders might be able to deliver a guitar to Philly at a similar overall budget.

As well, there are several builders on this and other forums, some of whom might be happy to build you what you want, probably for $5,000.

You get more bang/buck by buying used, but it may take awhile for you to find an instrument with the specifications you want in the $3,000 - $5,000 price range. If you want "a decently thick neck," then very few Eastman, Heritage, or Guild guitars will fit the bill, but there are some out there.

I'd personally look around for an old Epiphone Triumph, Broadway or Deluxe, or an old Gibson L-7. Many of those are still trading in your price range and many of them have larger necks, in addition to carved tops and backs.

Of course, IMO, the best bang/buck are old, high-end, full-carved German-built archtops, but you'd want to work with someone who really knows these guitars. I know a guy...

Last edited by Hammertone; 05-15-2022 at 12:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Campellone, Holst, Painter, Fibonacci, Loar, Elferink, a couple of others at below $5k.
    Tom Painter closed down his guitar build business a couple of years ago.

BTW, I second that Jim Triggs could be worth a try. He's very flexible when it comes to custom wishes.

Sendt fra min SM-T810 med Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Several Dutch and German luthiers in your price bracket.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Several Dutch and German luthiers in your price bracket.
    Cranmer guitars in Scotland too, I think. But SHHHTTT!

If you're interested in vintage European builds you could have a look at the German Vintage Guitar store. They do beautiful restoration work and they usually have a number of instruments available that at least look unique. I have little idea about their acoustic sound but YouTube claims that electrically they sound as you'd expect.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. A couple interesting luthiers I'll check out, I had primarily been looking at the used market. Used heritages and guilds had seemed to be my best option in my price range but like some said the necks may be a little small for my liking, especially the guilds. For reference, my favorite neck is my 50s tribute SG, by no means a baseball bat but decently thick. And for those who were asking, I'm in Philly.

User Info Menu

One option no one mentioned: since you like a fat neck (and didn't state you require a cut-away) you might want to check out a Loar LH700. It's considerably less than your price range but a fairly faithful copy of the original 16" L5, with a V-profile neck. Good ones can sound really good, and adding a floater to it isn't a big deal.

User Info Menu

Google Fibonacci Guitars.

User Info Menu

A Guild Artist Award, doesn’t have a thin neck. Certainly not those from the 90’s. In fact they’re some of the thickest necks I’ve owned. But good luck finding one for $5k today. Each I’ve seen has risen to above $6k. This from a guitar that sold used for $3k just 6 years ago.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the replies everyone, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. A couple interesting luthiers I'll check out, I had primarily been looking at the used market. Used heritages and guilds had seemed to be my best option in my price range but like some said the necks may be a little small for my liking, especially the guilds. For reference, my favorite neck is my 50s tribute SG, by no means a baseball bat but decently thick. And for those who were asking, I'm in Philly.
    And for those who were asking, I'm in Philly.

We all have our misfortunes...

User Info Menu

For reference, my favorite neck is my 50s tribute SG, by no means a baseball bat but decently thick. [...] I'm in Philly.
    It's definitely easier to have a friendly luthier take off some meat from a too-thick neck than to add some. Even in cheese-steak country

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the replies everyone, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. A couple interesting luthiers I'll check out, I had primarily been looking at the used market.
    Try searching Reverb for "archtop guitar," enter your price range, and then sort by price. (either high-low or low-high) Lot of things there that you'd like, but also a bunch that you wouldn't.

User Info Menu

I would recommend a Gibson L7. They are available both as a straight accoustic and with a floating pickup. While their prices are all over the place on Reverb, you should be able to find one under 5k
    Gibson also made an L7 C Reissue and while they are rare, they're witin your price range - if you can find one.

Good luck with your search.

User Info Menu

I also see several Gibson L50s on Reverb that are in your budget. I understand they can be very nice acoustic guitars.

User Info Menu

Search here for Steve holst
    You can see what he can do for a great price.
    E.g.
    Carved Archtop Makers-100603514_3067061286705225_8952793688526815232_n-jpgCarved Archtop Makers-arch25-jpgCarved Archtop Makers-bc85d1c3-e3db-48af-b498-0d72cca56447-jpegCarved Archtop Makers-done1-jpgCarved Archtop Makers-83007248_2739704012774289_7300998534055067648_n-jpgCarved Archtop Makers-e1-jpgCarved Archtop Makers-holst-jpg

User Info Menu

There is an Andersen Model 17 by a new seller with no track record on Reverb asking for $4500 with free CONUS shipping right now. A great deal if it turns out to be true. Durst you risk it? Due diligence, please.

Andersen Model 17' Archtop | Reverb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    There is an Andersen Model 17 by a new seller with no track record on Reverb asking for $4500 with free CONUS shipping right now. A great deal if it turns out to be true. Durst you risk it? Due diligence, please.
    Somebody did (or didn't )

It took me a long time to realise that CONUS is not a shipping company, but in light of recent discussions about Reverb I now can't help but read it as "con us (NOT)"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky

Andersen Model 17' Archtop | Reverb
    There is also an Andersen Emerald City on the same site for almost 2x the price. Is the only difference the MOP?