The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

If you use or have used Pyramid flats, please rate their quality, e.g.: great, so-so, in/consistent etc. By all means give a reason for your rating, if you wish, but also please don't bother mentioning Thomastiks because I know (like everyone else here). I have tried Pyramids in the past and I'm interested in reading other players' experiences before ruling them out 4ever (I'll explain why later as necessary).

Thanks ahead for any replies.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I liked 'em and don't recall any inconsistency. I preferred them to the strings-that-must-not-be-named. Don't use flats much any more. FWIW Bob Weir used or uses them.

User Info Menu

I've used them, but I liked the 'strings that must not be named' better. I found the Pyramids very dull once they broke in - a bit too dull for me.

User Info Menu

I liked the sound, but had problems with intonation. Also they had a rougher surface than most flats

User Info Menu

I tried them on my Epiphone Broadway with the gauge I used tu use and found them dull.
    Switch back to D'Addario, with the same (bad) result
    It appears that this guitar needs higher gauge to sound to my taste, so switched to 14's in the-brand-that-cannot-be-given-here.
    Perhaps should I give another try to Pyramid with a higher gauge ?

User Info Menu

I use Pyramid brand strings almost exclusively on all of my guitars with very few exceptions and I'm happy with all of them including the flatwound sets that I used to use.
    I went back to roundwounds about a year ago but not because I disliked Pyramid flats.

User Info Menu

interesting and useful replies. Thanks guys.

User Info Menu

I used the Gold Medium / Heavy Flatwound 12 - 52 once six years ago. But I cannot exactly remember why I switched back to the strings are that of Mordor, which I will not utter here.
    Pyramid Gold Nickel Flatwounds - Rate Their Quality-v1gi-gif

User Info Menu

Gotta love this thread: it's giving me a load of information with laughs included

User Info Menu

I tried them a few years ago as they were priced at about the same as some other strings. They gave me a cowboy sound and lasted all of 15 minutes after which I returned to the unmentionables. All too twangy for me.

User Info Menu

I have used Pyramid flats now and then. I like them.

But for some reason I’ll keep on returning to Sauron Swing .012s. Maybe for their evil easier tension and orc’anic feel.

User Info Menu

Try the Hand Polished Pyramid Classic Nickel Roundwounds. The smooth feel of flatwounds with the brightness of roundwounds. They are like that Austrian Name Me Not Flatties without the high price tag.

User Info Menu

I’m with the ‘the flats didn’t feel smooth’ crowd. Sound wise they were OK but a tad dull.

Anybody try their new Fusion Flats yet? I got a set yesterday but have not put them on yet.

User Info Menu

So, I had two experiences with Pyramid strings, separated by a number of years. The first time was with their "True Vintage" flats gauged 13-56 and I was kind of bemused by a G string buzz which would not go away, no matter what I tried. This was rather frustrating because I found them somewhat livelier than the D'Add. Chromes I had been using. They came off, and that was that. Keep in mind that I order practically all strings online, often from other countries, including the USA, so reliability is of prime concern.

Fast forward a few years and I ordered some Pyramid "Polished Pure Nickel" roundwound strings (probably from Germany and alluded to in a post here), convinced that they would be just the job as a mid-point bewteen roundies and flatties. Lo and behold, I was once again kind of bemused by a G string buzz which would not go away.... They came off, and that was definitively that. I keep a kind of diary on strings tried and trashed, and noted not nice things about this particular manufacturer. Plus jamais mes amis!

Fast forward once again to a few days ago, and I was looking at current flatwound options and came across a set gauged 13-52 which ticked more than one box (13 & 17 plains, decent tension which tails off gradually from 4rd to 6th, comme il faut) made by ... Pyramid.

So, I started to read reviews and only ONE other player kinda mentioned buzzing as a problem. In fact this brand has a veritable, die-hard fan base out there, so maybe give'em once last chance, I thought. I could have been unlucky...

So here, I've seen the word "dull" used more than once, which I need to consider, and I do remember they felt a bit rougher than the Chromes but then, everything feels rougher than Chromes in this world. Not a deal-breaker for me, neither a dash of twanginess. And nobody complained of the dreaded G string buzz....

Oh, and when I've got time, I'll write a post about my strings of Mordor odyssey. They're definitely evil, no doubt about it.

Thanks again for the feedback.

PS Those new Fusion Flats only go up to 12 gauge, for now anyway.
    Last edited by Peter C; 04-28-2022 at 06:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    So, I had two experiences with Pyramid strings, separated by a number of years. The first time was with their "True Vintage" flats gauged 13-56 and I was kind of bemused by a G string buzz which would not go away, no matter what I tried. This was rather frustrating because I found them somewhat livelier than the D'Add. Chromes I had been using. They came off, and that was that. Keep in mind that I order practically all strings online, often from other countries, including the USA, so reliability is of prime concern.

Fast forward a few years and I ordered some Pyramid "Polished Pure Nickel" roundwound strings (probably from Germany and alluded to in a post here), convinced that they would be just the job as a mid-point bewteen roundies and flatties. Lo and behold, I was once again kind of bemused by a G string buzz which would not go away.... They came off, and that was definitively that. I keep a kind of diary on strings tried and trashed, and noted not nice things about this particular manufacturer. Plus jamais mes amis!

Fast forward once again to a few days ago, and I was looking at current flatwound options and came across a set gauged 13-52 which ticked more than one box (13 & 17 plains, decent tension which tails off gradually from 4rd to 6th, comme il faut) made by ... Pyramid.

So, I started to read reviews and only ONE other player kinda mentioned buzzing as a problem. In fact this brand has a veritable, die-hard fan base out there, so maybe give'em once last chance, I thought. I could have been unlucky...

So here, I've seen the word "dull" used more than once, which I need to consider, and I do remember they felt a bit rougher than the Chromes but then, everything feels rougher than Chromes in this world. Not a deal-breaker for me, neither a dash of twanginess. And nobody complained of the dreaded G string buzz....

Oh, and when I've got time, I'll write a post about my strings of Mordor odyssey. They're definitely evil, no doubt about it.

Thanks again for the feedback.

PD Those new Fusion Flats only go up to 12 gauge, for now anyway.
    If you try them be careful if you cut excess of after the tuning peg, being round core the wrapping can get loose and start to buzz

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Thanks for that Johan, I may have omitted to do that the first time I tried the flats but would have done it with the polished roundwounds because I really researched them before ordering. Anyway, why would just the G string be affected (in both cases)?

User Info Menu

Thanks for that Johan, I may have omitted to do that the first time I tried the flats but would have done it with the polished roundwounds because I really researched them before ordering. Anyway, why would just the G string be affected (in both cases)?
    That I dont know, but I wouldnt exclude the possibility that one gauge or length could be more affected than another

User Info Menu

The Fusion Flat set is 11 16 24 32 44 54.
    Which is kind of an odd breakdown, it’s a medium to heavy b g d a e with an oddly light 11 on top. So when I put them on I’ll just leave off the 11 and replace the e/b with a 13/17.
    As a comparison the TI JS113 set is 13 17 21 28 39 53.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohanAbrandt
    That I dont know, but I wouldnt exclude the possibility that one gauge or length could be more affected than another
    Reasonable. However, my habit has always been, regardless of core type: pull through, measure, bend, wind, tune to pitch, then snip last. Stretching usually after snipping.

The fusion set I briefly saw was something like 12-52, but that was from only one source. 11 - 16 by the way?

As mentioned before, and going by info on their website, Thomastik* appear to be a case apart regarding tension for a given gauge.

* Oh no ....

User Info Menu

My bad… 12 / 16.

User Info Menu

Reasonable. However, my habit has always been, regardless of core type: pull through, measure, bend, wind, tune to pitch, then snip last. Stretching usually after snipping.
    With round core flats I dont snip the wound strings anymore, I just curl the end around a pen and leave it. Maybe over carefull, but I have had few misshaps and given that a set normaly lasts me a year or two..

User Info Menu

One set of strings to rule them all
    One set of strings to find them
    One set of strings to bring them all and in the Jazz bind them

User Info Menu

I personally like the Pyramid gold flats. They remind a lot of the old records I listen to. Their slightly rough surface seems to change the tone a little and also makes for a little more string noise.

Anyway, I really enjoy them. I use the 13-56 and swap the high E for a .014. The 13-52 set is also nice.

I currently have a set of the evil strings (13-53) on. I like them all for different reasons, I guess.

I have only had a handful of sets but they all seem fairly consistent for hand made strings.