The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Got my new to me Andersen metro Special delivered today! It's a beautiful looking and beautiful sounding instrument. I really dig the fairly minimal approach to the aesthetics of many of Andersen's guitars, and this one is a wonderful example. No fret inlays or ornate headstock. Plain black binding around the the body.

I'm not sure what the pickup is, but if I had to guess I'd say a Lollar (based on other Andersen's I've seen online). It sounds quite good through an amp and the tone knob is really handy to have.

The lower bout is 17" and really about the only thing I might change if given the chance.I'd prefer 16", but I've been playing the guitar all afternoon/evening, and it hasn't given me any trouble. I'm super happy to have this guitar. I imagine my other guitars will be getting neglected for a while.

Edit:
    Attached Images Attached Images Andersen Metropolitan Special-img_4581-jpg Andersen Metropolitan Special-img_4585-jpg Andersen Metropolitan Special-img_4582-jpg Andersen Metropolitan Special-img_4586-jpg Andersen Metropolitan Special-img_4583-jpg Andersen Metropolitan Special-img_4587-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Congrats!

That's a wonderful instrument.

Play pretty.

Couldn't figure out how to upload a video, so I posted it to YouTube. A short clip of My Romance acoustically and featuring my sleeping dog.

User Info Menu

Congrats on the beautiful guitar!!

User Info Menu

Very nice!!!

User Info Menu

That is a beautiful instrument. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Congrats! May she inspire your playing for many years to come.

User Info Menu

Fantastic! Congratulations. You are a Lucky man!

Many of the earlier Steve Andersen guitars sported Armstrong p/u's. He switched to Lollar's primarily, later, claiming that they were easier to work with and better support. Given the proximity to his Seattle shop, Jason Lollar is just south of there, this made sense. The Lollar's are excellent. But so are the custom wound Armstrong, which is what is on my Andersen. Either way, your guitar is amazing. That's one that will be hard to put down. Pace yourself!

User Info Menu

Beautiful, love the wide-grained topwood!

Minimalistic it is, except for those 2 screws holding down the pickguard, which give it tiny bit of steampunk vibe Are those original?

User Info Menu

That is a fine looking and sounding guitar. Congratulations.

User Info Menu

That appears to be a Lollar minihumbucker floater:

Johnny Smith Style Humbucker | Lollar Pickups

Said to be Johnnie Smith style but I suspect it is not the exact same build, probably more like a standard minihum. You can see the three mounting screws, I haven't seen another pickup like that.

I have one on my Campellone, it sounds great, though the second string is a bit louder than the rest and tricky to balance. A common problem on arch tops. (Acoustic volume balance is perfect)

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Beautiful, love the wide-grained topwood!

Minimalistic it is, except for those 2 screws holding down the pickguard, which give it tiny bit of steampunk vibe Are those original?
    Thanks! Just took a look and it seems the pick guard may be screwed into the top. There doesn't appear to be any screws going sideways into the neck, but I thing I'll wait awhile before taking it all apart to be sure haha.

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill
    That appears to be a Lollar minihumbucker floater:

Johnny Smith Style Humbucker | Lollar Pickups

Said to be Johnnie Smith style but I suspect it is not the exact same build, probably more like a standard minihum. You can see the three mounting screws, I haven't seen another pickup like that.

I have one on my Campellone, it sounds great, though the second string is a bit louder than the rest and tricky to balance. A common problem on arch tops. (Acoustic volume balance is perfect)
    That was my guess too. It sounds really nice through the amp. I've noticed many of Steve's guitars with floaters don't have a tone control, so I'm quite happy this one has a tone pot. Really allows for a range of sounds when amplified. Even better it's a knob and not a thumbwheel. I consider myself quite lucky in that regard.

User Info Menu

Lollar published an article detailing the unique design characteristics of the Gibson Johnny Smith pickup, so I would be rather surprised if the pickup he sells under that name isn't constructed like the originals. But I have never had either of them apart, so I don't really have any idea.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JakePearlman
    Thanks! Just took a look and it seems the pick guard may be screwed into the top.
    AFAIK that's one of the standard ways to do it (but not usually using 2 screws??)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Lollar published an article detailing the unique design characteristics of the Gibson Johnny Smith pickup, so I would be rather surprised if the pickup he sells under that name isn't constructed like the originals. But I have never had either of them apart, so I don't really have any idea.
    Interesting, I remember that article. You could be right, I'll shoot them an email and find out.

Here's that article, it seems that the JS is sort of a hybrid of a minihumbucker and a Firebird pickup.

Humbuckers and Mini-Humbuckers - Premier Guitar

EDIT: I heard back from Lollar, and their Johnnie Smith pickups are indeed constructed similarly to the original and not like the typical Gibson humbucker. Good call Cunamara!
    Last edited by bluejaybill; 04-25-2022 at 04:56 PM. Reason: New information