The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 45 of 45
    A guitarist's needs are always changing and evolving....so with that you may be right. But for now, all is good. Does not stay in tune though, and that is a problem. Could be that the heavier strings just won't work without some adjustments being made. That could be the problem. They probably put 9's on it, and I bumped up to 11's. Could be the problem. Binding on the bridge saddle? I think anyway.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Here is a short clip. Not as much of a review as it is more a "test". I will do a full review later. I am also going to post this in the Showcase in case this gets missed here. For distortion, I am using the Way Huge Swollen Pickle fuzz pedal. It gets fairly close to Trey's overall tone, however I don't have the sustain he's got. That would require something more which I currently don't know what all of that involves....but okay, no problem. I am fine without it for now.

Cheers!

Shortly after making this video, I had to tune up again and the cheap metal hinge that holds the tailpiece in place shattered! Holy crap. Now I can't play. Contacting seller

look at this! But the company is either going to send out a new bracket, or issue a partial refund. I have asked them to let me know how much before I make a decision.

Languedoc (copy)-broken-tailpiece-hinge-jpg

User Info Menu

I would return the guitar if you can.

A new bracket (same design and materials) will break in the same place.

I don't think other tailpieces are going to be a direct fit and they will likely be the wrong over all length.

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear about the tail piece.

To my limited knowledge, I believe Trey uses a ross compressor and for some reason I think a TS9? (TS8?) is involved...

I would guess a comp would have some relationship to the sustain. However, there are a bunch of elements...

I also forget the differences between a dynacomp (MXR) and the Ross. I think they are very similar. However I remember about 12 years ago getting in a debate about that... who knows. I know that analog man makes a ross type comp.

Just to throw it out, I personally really dig an Orange Juicer (Orange Squeezer), type of comp. If I am using an amp, that might not sound as good as a better amp: I grab my Orange Squeezer, and it typically makes an amp sound a little better. (However, it can take a lot of focus on my pick attack to keep things sounding right. That pedal really fights me).
    Last edited by st.bede; 04-24-2022 at 01:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    I would return the guitar if you can.

A new bracket (same design and materials) will break in the same place.

I don't think other tailpieces are going to be a direct fit and they will likely be the wrong over all length.
    One guy on ebay makes and sells a solid bracket to replace Languedoc chinese clones. He claims that they are made exactly to fit the specs and the holes will line up. His is a solid built bracket, no hinge either. Just a 90 degree piece of shaped metal. I will share the link.

Solid Hollow Body Tailpiece Bracket (Ollandocs and any other Langeudoc Clone) | eBay

User Info Menu

The downside of cheap guitars is that they cut corners somewhere. When we're lucky, those corners are cut on the replaceable hardware rather than the woodwork. Hopefully that is the case for your instrument.

I think this explains why your guitar was not staying in tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    The downside of cheap guitars is that they cut corners somewhere. When we're lucky, those corners are cut on the replaceable hardware rather than the woodwork. Hopefully that is the case for your instrument.

I think this explains why your guitar was not staying in tune.
    Update:

Good news is that it was a defected/cheap hinged bracket they used to hold the tailpiece on. Basically the one area that is going to be take the bulk of the tension from the tuned strings! So they went cheap on that little piece (stupid!). Why?

So I was determined today to do something. I have a garage full of stuff, certainly I could at least do something to get this guitar somewhat back up and running again. I rigged it, it certainly is a rig job. I found a tin can I had laying around. I cut it to the shape of the bracket, lined the holes up and marked and then drilled them through. I said a little prayer. Then I brought it back to the guitar and went ahead and slowly and carefully put it back together. It did work. It is a temporary fix. I am buying a real good quality bracket from this guy on ebay.

So now, my guitar is staying in tune! Great news! But of course with all my tweaking, the intonation is out, and I am sure it will need a complete set-up. So when I get the bracket, I am handing this over to my local luthier to do his magic. Been a rough little start but things were expected to be not perfect.

User Info Menu

At this point, I would just suggest doing the intonation yourself and not taking it to the luthier until you get the final bracket for the tail piece, otherwise you'll just have to take it back again. Intonating a guitar with a floating bridge is really easy:

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    At this point, I would just suggest doing the intonation yourself and not taking it to the luthier until you get the final bracket for the tail piece, otherwise you'll just have to take it back again. Intonating a guitar with a floating bridge is really easy:

That is what I intend to do. Wait for the real bracket to come in, and then take it to get set-up. But maybe I can do it myself. We shall see.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarvegas
    Update: I found a tin can I had laying around. I cut it to the shape of the bracket, lined the holes up and marked and then drilled them through. I said a little prayer. Then I brought it back to the guitar and went ahead and slowly and carefully put it back together. It did work.
    GV --

Great going.
    Your positivity reminds me of my late dad, and your 'I WILL get this finished!' attitude brings to mind some amps I've built from the carcasses of other amps.
    You can polish it later, but you can play it tonight !!

Enjoy your guitar. Enjoy it even more!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    GV --

Great going.
    Your positivity reminds me of my late dad, and your 'I WILL get this finished!' attitude brings to mind some amps I've built from the carcasses of other amps.

Yes, thank you. I am wired that way. I always look for alternative solutions. I believe that if you want to get something done, you CAN find the tools and ways to get there. I have a clip from AFTER I made my temporary fix to the tailpiece. This is me just enjoying the instrument, playing through some chords and noodling around. Can you hear if the intonation is out (this question is for anyone). I cannot. What do you think of this guitar and how she sounds just unplugged?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    GV --

Great going.

Even with what I did, it is falling out of tune so I am not going to mess with it at this point. Bought that new bracket and will wait for it to arrive before I think about playing it again. I tried, but I gotta get this right! Also, the company I bought the guitar from gave me back $42.50 today, and the new bracket costs $49.00, so it's a fairly even deal. Only going to cost me a few bucks to fix this issue. I am good with that!

I love this guitar! I am obsessed with it....can't put it down!!!

Languedoc (copy)-languedoc-jpg

I got this thing pretty stable again. The bridge was not in the right spot and because of that it was causing an issue where it wasn't even laying flat on the body. It was slightly tilted due to stress from the taughtness of the strings. Once I brought it up (moved it) where it should be it resolved a lot. Now it stays in tune. Great! So my little rig set-up worked for the time being. New bracket ordered and will have that in a few days. Then I will be less stressed too, once everything is actually right.

User Info Menu

I think with the demand out there for this guitar, the right thing for Paul to do would be to license the design to a quality company. It would still be expensive but I would think a good version could be made for $5,000.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarvegas
    look at this! But the company is either going to send out a new bracket, or issue a partial refund. I have asked them to let me know how much before I make a decision.

Languedoc (copy)-broken-tailpiece-hinge-jpg
    Un-fortunate cookie

Quote Originally Posted by jazzgtrl4
    Un-fortunate cookie
    Totally fixed now. Got the new piece, installed it myself. Works really well. Solid.

User Info Menu

After a year? I know this thread is old... I had a chance to see a Languedoc up close and hold it, play it unplugged. I can say that the level of detail he puts into small things, like bindings around the pickup covers is pretty unreal.