The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 59

User Info Menu

My main guitar now is a Tele. I'm happy with it. I play it every day.
    But I'm doing much more home recording and sometimes want a different guitar for contrast.
    And, damn it, I just miss having a Strat. That was my main guitar for years.

My last one was from the '70s. It's a whole new world out there now and I haven't kept up.
    I would like something (new or used) in the $500 range. Could go higher if need be.
    Something solid, normal configuration (3 pickups, 5 position selector switch, whammy bar).

Thoughts? Suggestions? Warnings?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Guitars have become more expensive. For me, it would be difficult to find a used $500 guitar at this time.

It depends on how I approach things. I am always looking for a professional (working) level guitar at a good price. I would rather save up and wait until a used guitar shows up, that meets my requirements, then say buy a new guitar.

Just to throw it out there: I like the EJ strat. Having said that, the best strat I have ever played was a Tom Anderson. It was something else, with a high price that was also something else for a bolt on, solid body guitar.

I have also checked out the pine body fenders. I really like the tele but did not have the same experiences with the strat. Why? I am not sure. I tend to not be a strat player.

I just own a standard American made strat. (Was able to purchase it at a good price. I think that was 700$ about 10 years ago).

User Info Menu

Player Strat series - made in Mexico, solid instruments with good bones! There are a few deals on them now that get you $100+ off list. Most of them are $849 MSRP as I recall - ask Mr Google for today’s best prices. I’m not a Strat guy, but these are decent guitars at fair prices in today’s context. If I needed another working solid body 6, I’d seriously consider one.

User Info Menu

The players are nice... I forgot about those. Also the old “road worn” series was also really nice. I wonder if those show up used at good prices.

My concern with new right now, is it seems like the guitar manufacturers are not letting the wood really dry long enough. I would go with a baked maple neck. People I know have really liked the strat and tele type Shacters (spelling?). I did not really dig them but there could of been many reasons for that. Just maybe had to get used to the neck size... I did not play them enough.

User Info Menu

Do the Brent Mason mod and add a middle Strat pickup as well as maybe a Strat neck pickup. A Tele is mainly the bridge pickup anyways.

User Info Menu

In addition to the various Fender Strats, you might consider one of the import models from G&L. On the used market their Legacy and S-500 models sell for around $500 +/-. G&L quality tends to be very high.

User Info Menu

Jack Pearson and his $79 Squire strat that he gigs with.

User Info Menu

You might look at the Squier Strats. Cheap, and they have good reviews. I'm sort of thinking about getting a hardtail and putting a humbucker at the neck. I don't know why, I have more than enough guitars, but no planks right now. I have no idea why I would need a plank, but I think a Squier would be what I would buy.

User Info Menu

Used Fender MIM from the last 10 years and swap pickups in if needed. Very well made. Also Squier Classic vibe are great.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

i am not a fan of craigslist, but i just looked on it here in Atlanta and there are plenty of mim's and players in your price range. One of them is a mint '01, w case and candy, selling by a guy who is nearing retirement. I've bought a couple of things at great prices in the parking lot of a coffee shop in broad daylight that i could test out. There are also some strats in your price range on ebay. Best of luck; what's not to love about a strat....

User Info Menu

Squier Classic Vibe are killers for the money.

User Info Menu

I have three 1st Generation Classic Vibe Strats made in China. I love the neck on those. They don't require anything, just set up and play. Have never played the newer MII CV Strats. The Player Starts are good I had one but sold it. Selling my MIM., also good guitars with ceramic PUs. I would play all three of these and see which neck appeals to you. A used CV '08-'18 can be had from $250. to 4 bills. There worth more in my opinion. Both the Player , Alnico PUs, and the MIM Standard can be found around 5 bills. You can find Stats on the CV and the others on Fuzzfaced.

User Info Menu

Go for it Mark. Strats are amazingly good tools to have in the toolbox. I would spend a little more and get an American Standard. They sell for about 8-9 hundred on my local Craigslist.

User Info Menu

It's nice to have a strat around! I would look at a used Mexican one, I think it's the best deal for the price.

User Info Menu

I've got one of these: Used Traveler Guitar Travelcaster Electric Guitar Seafoam Green | Guitar Center

It's fun and I really like the pickups, and think it sounds better than my 2004 MIM Fender.

User Info Menu

Strats are really nice to have. I haven't been able to put mine down! I recommend finding one that you like the feel of, and then upgrade the pups as necessary. It's the ergonomics that are key - neck radius, neck profile, etc. Find the feeling, then fine tune whatever is not optimum for you. Good luck!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    It's nice to have a strat around! I would look at a used Mexican one, I think it's the best deal for the price.
    In my opinion Fender's Mexican output really jumped up a step around '11/'12, and those recent Mexican guitars are all great. I especially love the Baja Teles but the Strats I've played are all fine as well. I wouldn't start by looking at Squiers though, I'd go Mexican at a minimum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Esport
    Squier Classic Vibe are killers for the money.
    I've heard that before. Good to hear a second opinion!

User Info Menu

I picked up a PRS SE Silver Sky today. It’s not for everyone, but if you like the feel of a PRS you might like it. Build quality and pickups are great.

User Info Menu

Funny you should mention PRS. I've not got my eye on an SE Custom 24-08.

I took to heart the advice offered above. I do want more guitar than $500 is likely to get me (-at current prices).
    So I'm holding on for something closer to a grand that is playable and emits a variety of tones.
    This might be it.
    Yeah, it's not a Strat. But we are all pilgrim people...life is a journey...

Thinking about getting another Strat...-prs-se-custom-24-08-jpg

User Info Menu

As a proud owner of an '86 CU24, I can say the PRS combines the best aspects of both F and G instruments with the uncompromising PRS QC that makes each one perfect from the get-go. The ergonomics are stellar, as are the tones. I say, go for it and don't look back!

User Info Menu

I've had about half a dozen Strats from one of the first Squiers (1983) to one of the first relics, and I've had two PRSes. These are totally different animals with disparate feel and sound (at least to me). The PRS has a much more refined, smooth feel - but neither of my PRSes could do a classic Strat tone. This was fine with me, since I didn't want or need that - and the PRS will do blues, rock, and anything else you can ask of it with skill and grace. It just doesn't do the classic position-2-and-4 tones you can get from a Strat. With the "right" pickup at the neck, a Strat will come close to the sound of a PRS / LP etc.

That early Squier was one of the best made "ordinary" guitars I ever had, and the relic was truly cool and sounded / played like the best Fender on earth. But they're light years from a PRS (at least a PRS made in Maryland - I've not played any of the imported ones). You really need to play both before you can know if a Strat is "enough". I've played several current MIM Strats and they're consistently fine instruments (and great value). But the PRSes I've owned were truly special instruments.

User Info Menu

Bought a Fender American Standard Strat about 10 years ago.

The guitar would not stay anywhere close to in tune until I disabled the whammy. 5 springs and screwed it all the way down.

Meanwhile, I got a Yamaha Pacifica 012, the cheapest Strat copy. It stays in tune quite well.

I read that it's possible to get the Fenders to stay in tune with some extra work, but my thought is to ask, how could Fender ship guitar that won't hold tune?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Bought a Fender American Standard Strat about 10 years ago.

The guitar would not stay anywhere close to in tune until I disabled the whammy. 5 springs and screwed it all the way down.

Meanwhile, I got a Yamaha Pacifica 012, the cheapest Strat copy. It stays in tune quite well.

I read that it's possible to get the Fenders to stay in tune with some extra work, but my thought is to ask, how could Fender ship guitar that won't hold tune?
    Mine stays in tune fine unless I get pretty aggressive with the whammy (4 springs and a little bit of float). Completely stock except for a replacement nut. Every guitar is a little different with tuning stability.