The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 59 of 59

User Info Menu

The guitar ships today.
    Yay!
    A few pictures (taken by someone at Sweetwater, not me.)
    These are photos of my specific guitar.

I'll start a [NGD] thread when it arrives.

Thinking about getting another Strat...-ctid63443-detail1-xlarge-jpgThinking about getting another Strat...-ctid63443-back-xlarge-jpgThinking about getting another Strat...-ctid63443-serial-xlarge-jpgThinking about getting another Strat...-ctid63443-front-xlarge-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

As a true blue PRS owner and entbusiast, you're expected to identify every one of those birds, too! Here's the list I got when I bought mine, to give you a head start:

Falcon, Marsh Hawk, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Common Tern, Coopers Hawk, Kite, Sparrow, Storm Petrel, and Hawk (plus a Screech Owl on 24-fret models)

User Info Menu

Oh, my, my! I think you will be very happy with your choice! That's a beaut, for sure!

OK, your desire for a Strat may persist.* That is for the future to determine. But it cannot be denied that the PRS is a really, really versatile, not to mention drop-dead gorgeous, instrument - both visually and tonally. Have fun! Looking forward to your NGD!

* Science now knows Strat-itis is, in fact incurable. It can only be treated - with MOAR STRATS!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    As a true blue PRS owner and entbusiast, you're expected to identify every one of those birds, too! Here's the list I got when I bought mine, to give you a head start:

Falcon, Marsh Hawk, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Common Tern, Coopers Hawk, Kite, Sparrow, Storm Petrel, and Hawk (plus a Screech Owl on 24-fret models)
    I had no idea! I had assumed it was all the same bird in various stages of flight.

I'll let you know what's on my list. (Wait, did I just start a Hall & Oates song playing---against my will---in my head???)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I had no idea! I had assumed it was all the same bird in various stages of flight.
    Paul's mother was an avid bird watcher and lover who exposed him to ornithology from early years. When he made a guitar for Peter Frampton a few years before the PRS company was started, he needed to make fretboard inlays and immediately thought of the birds about which his mother had taught him. He actually drew out each one in great detail to make the first set of inlays, and they've been used in his top line guitars ever since, without change in form or order of placement.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Paul's mother was an avid bird watcher and lover who exposed him to ornithology from early years. When he made a guitar for Peter Frampton a few years before the PRS company was started, he needed to make fretboard inlays and immediately thought of the birds about which his mother had taught him. He actually drew out each one in great detail to make the first set of inlays, and they've been used in his top line guitars ever since, without change in form or order of placement.
    Aaaand, they are right purty, too! I have always found them to be inspirational. The imagery of birds flying, soaring, diving, swooping - very much a visual metaphor for the act of solo creation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Aaaand, they are right purty, too! I have always found them to be inspirational. The imagery of birds flying, soaring, diving, swooping - very much a visual metaphor for the act of solo creation.
    True dat! Sadly, it doesn’t extend to The Dragon. When I was at the factory, they let me play one of the first Dragons. The inlay covered most of the fretboard, and it was truly distracting- I don’t think I could get through a gig on one without losing track of my hand position. That experience was one reason I’ve been trying to learn to play without looking at the neck at all. Having 2 guitars with no inlays is another.

Thinking about getting another Strat...-b4262a6b-82e1-4783-a599-1453cb246b92-jpg

User Info Menu

Congrats but… I’m sorry to say this… you may have been scammed, that is not a Strat. Lol

Enjoy it!

User Info Menu

It doesn't say Fender on the headstock, so no, it's not a Strat. Body shape is close enough, though. Differences between planks tend to be somewhat minimal to me. Just heavy and heavier.