The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 59

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Mine stays in tune fine unless I get pretty aggressive with the whammy (4 springs and a little bit of float). Completely stock except for a replacement nut. Every guitar is a little different with tuning stability.
    Why did you get a new nut?

I understand that some work on the nut (and saddles) may be what mine needs.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Why did you get a new nut?

I understand that some work on the nut (and saddles) may be what mine needs.
    IIRC, the tech I brought it to for set-ups said the original was worn down and needed to be replaced

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I read that it's possible to get the Fenders to stay in tune with some extra work, but my thought is to ask, how could Fender ship guitar that won't hold tune?
    The reason I never had a Strat with whammy bar is that every one I ever played (starting with early ‘60s models when I was in high school) seemed to go out of tune before a song was over. I didn’t know about blocking and I’d never seen a hard tail until years later. This excerpt from a decent article on keeping Strats in tune is fascinating:

“ ‘You have to understand the rules of a non-locking vibrato,’ [Mark] Erlewine says. ‘There are one or two things that players do. First—and you can see Hendrix doing this in film—if you’re going to bend the string manually, it’s going the reset the tuning and the vibrato arm. So you have to tap the vibrato arm to bring you back to being in tune, if you were in tune in the first place. The alternate way to do that is to bend only with your fingers (like on a hardtail) and then, when you use the vibrato arm, everything will come back sharp and you’ve got to quickly hand-bend all six strings. … You’ll see players do this both ways, but the Hendrix way is quicker.’

Furthermore, Joe Glaser contends that once you explain the proper technique to a player, they usually never have the tuning problem again. Glaser says, ‘Jeff Beck is not playing a magic guitar, he’s a magic player.’

User Info Menu

This is how you keep the Strat in tune with a floating bridge. However, it depends on your string gauges, it's not necessarily true that the low strings have more tension, it depends on the gauges.

User Info Menu

I've had this 80s E series Japanese Squier Strat forever. I love the neck, so different from my modern C neck Teles. But it's really heavy, due to the System 1 trem (along with the locking nut). I was shocked at how light when I picked up a Player Strat in the store the other day.

I never even bothered to find a whammy bar for it till recently, as I had it blocked it with some wood shims. But now I have it decked at least (5 springs--I really like tuning stability). I did upgrade the electronics to Mojotone. Sounds great, but damn I wish I'd gone noiseless. The buzzing is killing me.

User Info Menu

If it was me, I'd be looking hard at the Squier Classic Vibe '50s Strat. $459 at Sweetwater.

User Info Menu

Love my EJ strat! But, they are my flavor of pickups, with a chunky neck. I have 3 others, but that’s the one I reach for.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    As a proud owner of an '86 CU24, I can say the PRS combines the best aspects of both F and G instruments with the uncompromising PRS QC that makes each one perfect from the get-go. The ergonomics are stellar, as are the tones. I say, go for it and don't look back!
    As a PRS player since '86, I'd say they're much closer to G than F.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    As a PRS player since '86, I'd say they're much closer to G than F.
    But I’ve never played a Silver Sky, which seems like a serious attempt to F it up Knowing PRS, if that’s what he had in mind, he succeeded. I’d love to play one.

User Info Menu

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, there's the Sire S7 guitar that fellow forum member Pete Skarloff seems to really like:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    But I’ve never played a Silver Sky, which seems like a serious attempt to F it up Knowing PRS, if that’s what he had in mind, he succeeded. I’d love to play one.
    Ah, I thought you were referring to the C24, which is definitely closer to G than F.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Ah, I thought you were referring to the C24, which is definitely closer to G than F.
    I was - but I forgot about their new strat clone because it's so far from my mind these days. My two PRSes (a late 80s Custom 22 and an early '90s Custom 24, IIRC) were everything Gibson used to be and wished it were again. They were superbly made, gorgeous to hold and look at, great players, and versatile enough for everything from weddings to blues festivals. I played them most often through my original Mk 1 Boogie 12" combo and I was absolutely in love with them. Had PRS made a 7 string back then (other than commissioning a custom one for a lot more than I'd have spent), I would have jumped directly to it when I switched.

Looking at the website description of the Silver Sky, I see nothing specific about the pickups. The switching diagram does not show anything about polarity, so unless they've wired it to use positions 2 and 4 as 'buckers or even just out of phase, it's probably not going to have the full range of Strat sounds. If those pickups are straightforward single coils, they may give some of the same choices. If not, my bet is on the G end of the sonic spectrum even for them.

User Info Menu

There are some really nice partscasters around for resale. My good buddy just sold his. It was put together with very high quality parts, by someone who knew their stuff. My buddy was inspired by the feel and sound of my beat old '61 strat. He got real close with that partscaster. Still ended up not playing it.

Which was what happened to me and my '61. Had it since I was a kid. My main guitar for decades. After discovering teles and archtops, it never got played.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Oh yeah, I almost forgot, there's the Sire S7 guitar that fellow forum member Pete Skarloff seems to really like:

really good for the price, I'm looking the tele models from sire, seems like those guitars are better than the fender's for less money.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mad dog
    There are some really nice partscasters around for resale. My good buddy just sold his. It was put together with very high quality parts, by someone who knew their stuff. My buddy was inspired by the feel and sound of my beat old '61 strat. He got real close with that partscaster. Still ended up not playing it.

Which was what happened to me and my '61. Had it since I was a kid. My main guitar for decades. After discovering teles and archtops, it never got played.
    It's funny, a '63 strat was my #1 for years, along with an ES, and now I seem to only want to play arch tops and my telecaster too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itsmyname
    really good for the price, I'm looking the tele models from sire, seems like those guitars are better than the fender's for less money.
    Larry Carlton did pretty well with his Sire ES335 when I saw him play last week! I hear their basses are really good as well.

User Info Menu

Put my name on the waiting list for a PRS SE Custom 24-08 at Sweetwater in the "Faded Blue Burst" that is exclusive to them.
    Hope to have it by next weekend.

Thinking about getting another Strat...-prs-se-custom-24-08-jpg

More on it here: Access to this page has been denied.
    (The link works despite what it says.)

User Info Menu

Nice !
    I still dream of a blue guitar ....
    Now, 2 humbuckers don't look like 3 single-coil of a Strat, bt I'm sure it will sound right in your hands
    Good decision made !

User Info Menu

Very much looking forward to your NGD!

User Info Menu

Is that photo-quilt or a thin but real quilted maple veneer? Looks great and I hope it doesn't disappoint in person.

You started out on a quest for a Stratocaster-style and ended up with this. It does not compute.

Try searching for a used Ned Whittemore Strat or a Chuck Thornton Strat (Austin Guitar House).

User Info Menu

Electric Guitars | Bacchus Guitars

I got two "Strats" and a "Tele" from Deviser Bacchus. They are the shite!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Is that photo-quilt or a thin but real quilted maple veneer? Looks great and I hope it doesn't disappoint in person.

You started out on a quest for a Stratocaster-style and ended up with this. It does not compute.

Try searching for a used Ned Whittemore Strat or a Chuck Thornton Strat (Austin Guitar House).
    We'll see when it arrives. Probably late next week.

Yes, I was thinking Strat. This ain't that.
    But this DOES allow for good single coil sounds. It has 8 pickup configurations, which will give me lots of options for The Other Guitar sounds on my demos (the Tele will still be around.) I think it will suit me, but no, it's not what I thought I'd end up with when I started thinking I would get another Strat.
    As the Spanish say, life is wide. ;o)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Is that photo-quilt or a thin but real quilted maple veneer?
    I’m 99% certain it’s a real maple cap - that’s how it’s described on their website. I was not surprised when he came out with the SE line, but I’d be shocked if he went with a photo flame top on any guitar with his name on it.

User Info Menu

Strats are nice guitars. But I've only owned a couple, an '84 MIJ Squier for a few months in college (my Gibson GAS got the best of me, and I traded it toward a Les Paul Signature, that ended being my main college electric guitar), and a Bullet Strat (very briefly 2 or 3 years ago). A few weeks ago, I was listening to some Robin Trower (when I was a young 'un, I cut my guitar playing teeth playing his music [along with Rory Gallagher, etc.]), and I got the urge for a Strat. I went to my favorite local guitar shop (Cream City Music - they're a major Fender dealer), and played several. I especially liked the neck, and the sound of the pickups on a Vintera 60s Strat I tried out, but once again, that same old bugaboo that Jazzmasters also have (another nice guitar) reared its ugly head - the volume knob was located next to where I rest my right hand (I rest my right hand on the bridge), meaning, that whenever I picked, my fingers would hit the volume knob. Ugh!!! No Strat for me.

The Vintera 60s Strat I Tried Out

Last edited by EllenGtrGrl; 05-08-2022 at 08:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EllenGtrGrl
    again, that same old bugaboo that Jazzmasters also have (another nice guitar) reared its ugly head - the volume knob was located next to where I rest my right hand (I rest my right hand on the bridge), meaning, that whenever I picked, my fingers would hit the volume knob. Ugh!!! No Strat for me.
    I don't rest on the bridge, but one of my Teles has the control plate reversed. If I strum too freely, it's the perfect motion to rotate the volume to zero. I guess I'll have to learn to do those tricky pinky swells, to make it worth the trouble.