The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

For me it’s also how newer strings feel. But I play Round-wounds so it’s a whole different animal!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I would have said the same thing if I hadn’t been playing the 112s for a year+. Older strings have always gotten duller over time, at least to me. So I’m amazed that a 16 month old set of 112s still has more sparkle and brightness than a new set of 113s. Even without the comparison, these TIs are truly remarkable to me.

Thanks so much for the kind words!
    Hi, N,
    I've been alternating D"Addario Pure Nickels and Chromes,12-52, for the last two years. I have the Chromes on now with 37 hours of playtime with no diminishment of sound/pitch/clarity/response. I'm going to pick up a set of 112's based on this sound assessment in your post. These are the discussions that are tailored to players and very interesting. Great post, N!
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, N,
    I've been alternating D"Addario Pure Nickels and Chromes,12-52, for the last two years. I have the Chromes on now with 37 hours of playtime with no diminishment of sound/pitch/clarity/response. I'm going to pick up a set of 112's based on this sound assessment in your post. These are the discussions that are tailored to players and very interesting. Great post, N!
    Marinero
    I'm always amazed at the wide disparity in opinion about TIs. One of the reasons I never tried them until last year was that a fair number of people really seemed to dislike them - so it was hard to justify the cost. But there were also many who love the sound and describe extended life from theirs. So I really wanted to try a set for myself. And when one of the online string stores had a 2020/2021 winter holiday sale, I got the 112s being played in the comparison recordings. I put them on my Ibanez AF207 in January 2021.

I was changing Chromes every 3 to 4 months on my archtops and Stringjoys every 4 to 6 weeks on the solid bodies I used for blues gigs. So TIs turn out to be a bargain for me, even at list price. If I get a year out of a set on each archtop and 5 to 6 months on the Tele I use for the blues and other general gigs, I'm way ahead of the game at the $23 / set they cost on one of the usual sales. I got 5+ months out of the first set of 112s I put on my Tele, but I just got some JS110s to try on it and suspect I'll like them even better than the 12s for the blues.