The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 42

User Info Menu

I see there are a few other owners club threads around!

Here’s my beautiful 16-1 in Autumn Burst.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Welcome to the club! That one looks beautiful. Enjoy playing it

User Info Menu

I'm in !

User Info Menu

Pics or it never happened

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Humbuckr
    Pics or it never happened
    lol
    Comins GCS Owners Club-comins-jpg

User Info Menu

That’s a beauty. Don’t think there’s a colour scheme these don’t suit.
    Last edited by Humbuckr; 04-02-2022 at 01:14 PM.

User Info Menu

This pic should cover the cost of admission into the club.
    Attached Images Attached Images Comins GCS Owners Club-20220402_135559-jpg 

User Info Menu

you're in !

User Info Menu

Here's mine.

Comins GCS Owners Club-untitled-3-jpg

User Info Menu

I don't recall seeing specs anywhere on the neck of either the GCS-1 or GCS-16, beyond nut width and scale length. I recently bought some calipers and took detailed measurements on all my guitars. I figure I might as well share my findings for my GCS-1es with club members.

Nut width: 43.27mm
    1st fret depth: 21.50
    12th fret depth: 23.85
    12th fret width: 53.75
    Bridge string spacing: 52.50

Oh, and I also tested the pickup resistance (through the output jack).
    Neck HB: 7.55
    Bridge HB: 8.47

Has anyone taken measurements on their GCS-16?

User Info Menu

GCS-1

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LifeOnJazz
    I don't recall seeing specs anywhere on the neck of either the GCS-1 or GCS-16, beyond nut width and scale length. I recently bought some calipers and took detailed measurements on all my guitars. I figure I might as well share my findings for my GCS-1es with club members.

Nut width: 43.27mm
    1st fret depth: 21.50
    12th fret depth: 23.85
    12th fret width: 53.75
    Bridge string spacing: 52.50

Oh, and I also tested the pickup resistance (through the output jack).
    Neck HB: 7.55
    Bridge HB: 8.47

Has anyone taken measurements on their GCS-16?
    Interesting, thanks. So the neck is a “medium C” at around 0.84 - 0.94 inches (1st to 12th). That figures, it’s a very comfortable profile with a bit of vintage taper…assume similar on all GCS models. Feels more like a typical electric guitar (Gibson ish) to me than the wide/ flat profile Eastman use.

The first 16-1 I had was slotted quite narrow at the ebony bridge, 51mm. The current one is wider at nearly 53mm, which I prefer.

User Info Menu

Here is mine GCS-16-1 and GCS-1 ES..Great guitars!!...unfortunately both forsale soon as i need cash for upcoming build that is complete sooner than i had thought.

Last edited by jazzgtrl4; 04-04-2022 at 05:32 PM.

User Info Menu

Comins GCS Owners Club-img_4844-jpg
    My GCS1-ES with my ES-339, but that was in september

User Info Menu

Comins GCS Owners Club-comins-gcs-1-new-jpg

GCS-1, shortly after arrival in 2018

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    GCS-1

rpjazz...r. I really like the tone you get with this guitar. I find it difficult to judge this on the few youtubes out there....is it straight in computer ?? audio interface or amp..

Thx

Ray

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RayS
    rpjazz...r. I really like the tone you get with this guitar. I find it difficult to judge this on the few youtubes out there....is it straight in computer ?? audio interface or amp..

Thx

Ray
    As far as I recall, it was this:

Golden Gate mandolin pick. It has a soft sound to my ear.

Fender strings 11 13 17 22 32 42 (very light, except for high E).

Neck pickup. The treble knob mostly changes the tone in a small part of the knob's total travel. I generally keep it in the middle of that small part. So, treble is rolled off, but not all the way.

Boss ME80 pedalboard. It adds only reverb, which is Spring Reverb set around 23.

DV Mark Little Jazz. Bass all the way down, or close. Mids at noon. Treble slightly rolled off, maybe 11 o'clock. Reverb at 9, meaning, I'm adding a little more reverb with the Little Jazz. (As an aside, the LJ reverb has been criticized -- it gets weird sounding if you turn it up too high, but around 9 it sounds fine to me).

I record with a Samsung phone. No electronic connection. Just the amp in the room and the Camera app and built-in mic on the phone. Uploaded to youtube from the phone. No post processing or anything like that.

I have a patch on the ME80 which adds a little bit of the note an octave lower, but I don't think it's activated in this clip. I don't hear it on the lower notes, where it's usually obvious. I could be wrong.
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 08-24-2022 at 07:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    As far as I recall, it was this:

Golden Gate mandolin pick. It has a soft sound to my ear.

Neck pickup. The treble knob mostly changes the tone in a small part of the knob's total travel. I generally keep it in the middle of that small part. So, treble is rolled off, but not all the way.

Boss ME80 pedalboard. It adds only reverb, which is Spring Reverb set around 23.

DV Mark Little Jazz. Bass all the way down, or close. Mids at noon. Treble slightly rolled off, maybe 11 o'clock. Reverb at 9, meaning, I'm adding a little more reverb with the Little Jazz. (As an aside, the LJ reverb has been criticized -- it gets weird sounding if you turn it up too high, but around 9 it sounds fine to me).

I record with a Samsung phone. No electronic connection. Just the amp in the room and the Camera app and built-in mic on the phone. Uploaded to youtube from the phone. No post processing or anything like that.

I have a patch on the ME80 which adds a little bit of the note an octave lower, but I don't think it's activated in this clip. I don't hear it on the lower notes, where it's usually obvious. I could be wrong.
    Super

I'm hoping to get the same GCS 1, hence the interest...

Thx very much for that info..

Ray

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RayS
    Super

I'm hoping to get the same GCS 1, hence the interest...

Thx very much for that info..

Ray
    When I got mine there was only one in the store, with a maple top.

The guitar I'd originally heard Jack Wilkins play was Spruce (the ES), but, at that time, I didn't realize there were two versions.

The maple version sounded close enough in the store to what I remembered from hearing Jack Wilkins at the Zinc Bar. So that's the one I have -- which is in the video.

I just saw the price is going up $200 on June 1.

User Info Menu

I would like to join this club. I have a Comins GCS-16-1 in Violin Burst that I bought new in March, 2022.
    The guitar arrived setup perfectly. So playable. Excellent action. On my Henriksen blue amp, all eq flat, the tone is amazing. I love this guitar (and amp!) I kept the strings it came with (12 to 52 rounds, wound g)
    Comins GCS Owners Club-20220416_180441-jpg

User Info Menu

Has anyone compared GCS-1 with D'Angelico SS Excel or Deluxe? Tried SS and love the formula.

User Info Menu

I have a 2009 or so, MIK, D'A EXDC, which I've heard was designed by Bill Comins.

Nice guitar. Sounds a little darker than the GCS-1.

Bill once told me that they are very different guitars, but I don't have any more detail on that.

User Info Menu

using my cgs16-1 most of the time unplugged, I like the acoustic sound of this guitar.

I tried : round wounds 12-52 d'addario = love the sound.
    Then flat wound 12-50 thomastick = love the sound.

Next month I will give a try "semi-flat wound" from d'addario 12-52 and i'm sure I will like it.

I plugged it into a hughes and ketner statesman (2*EL 84)= the sound is "rich".
    I plugged into a quilter superblock US and a toob metro GB 6.5 = the sound is rich.
    But I definitely have more choices in the sounds with the guitar and the quilter superblock US + toob cause more versatility in the superblock.

cool !

User Info Menu

I just ordered thomastik 12-50 flatwounds and will put them on my Comins Gcs-16-1. My only concern is that the guitar is so well setup with the stock strings (d'addario EJ21, 12 - 52 round wounds), I would hate to mess it up. Any tips on the setup after the change? I think the thomastik will have quite a bit less tension, I might need to adjust the neck relief. How was the intonation with the thomastik strings?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alfsiochi
    I just ordered thomastik 12-50 flatwounds and will put them on my Comins Gcs-16-1. My only concern is that the guitar is so well setup with the stock strings (d'addario EJ21, 12 - 52 round wounds), I would hate to mess it up. Any tips on the setup after the change? I think the thomastik will have quite a bit less tension, I might need to adjust the neck relief. How was the intonation with the thomastik strings?
    Fwiw, I did this very thing a couple of months back. No tweaks or changes required here. I expected at least a bit, but nope (other than fiddling a bit with pickup and pole height).