The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Ordered the AF2000. but may need to sell my PM2.

Can someone who has played or owned both describe the difference.

I am looking forward to the AF2000 but hope that it is quite a bit better overall than the PM2 sound and quality, for the price difference

Would like to keep the PM2 but is looking unlikely.
    Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The AF2000 is a relatively new guitar, having just replaced the AF-200 as their top of the line non-endorser hollowbody. I would say order the AF from a place that will take it back, and if you don't like it better than the PM2 just return it. If it does make you happier, then sell the PM2. I wouldn't sell the PM2 first, though.

User Info Menu

I’ve heard that the AF2000 has a deeper, darker tonality than the AF200 due to the change in side and back wood. Somewhere here are some recordings of Rob McKillup playing his then new AF2000, you might want to try to find them.
    Fully agree with jim777… buy from a place with a safe return policy and keep the PM2 till you know you like it. The sound of the AF200/2000 is going to be a bit different than a PM since it’s body is thinner than the PM.
    I can’t give a great comparison as my PM is a PM200 and as stated the AF is a 200. But I sure can tell you, they are two very different guitars!
    If you find one in stock somewhere grab it, the inventory is low and not being replaced till late ‘22 so Ibanez says.
    best of luck!
    jk

The plan is to keep the PM2 for while,

AF200 IS bigger all the way around so I would expect it to be less thin sounding than the PM2.

No problem with returns and this may be in at end of July if not then Sept.

User Info Menu

Something like this might be in your wheelhouse as well - though I would say if you decided to go this way it's ALWAYS cheaper to buy directly from Ishi's U-Box than through reverb EDIT: It's currently $1,513.64 on Ishi's website, so it would be that and shipping.

Ibanez PM100 Pat Metheny Signature Black 1996 (03/07) | Reverb
    Last edited by jim777; 04-01-2022 at 12:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzimprov
    The plan is to keep the PM2 for while,

AF200 IS bigger all the way around so I would expect it to be less thin sounding than the PM2.

No problem with returns and this may be in at end of July if not then Sept.
    I was just wandering which of the two guitars you ended up keeping. I am interested in the AF2000 but there's not a lot of material available online to hear the sound.

User Info Menu

If you poke around theres a thread from Rob Mackillan when he got his AF2000, includes of course a video. (And his great playing!)
    I believe concensus is the 2000 is a tad warmer than the 200. I have the 200, and i would agree based on the 2000s ive heard online.
    (i replaced the Super 58 with a Fralin Modern PAF which really warmed up my 200)
    Good luck!
    jk

heres one, excellent seller i and others here have bought from:

IBANEZ AF2000BS AF2000

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    If you poke around theres a thread from Rob Mackillan when he got his AF2000, includes of course a video. (And his great playing!)
    I believe concensus is the 2000 is a tad warmer than the 200. I have the 200, and i would agree based on the 2000s ive heard online.
    (i replaced the Super 58 with a Fralin Modern PAF which really warmed up my 200)
    Good luck!
    jk

heres one, excellent seller i and others here have bought from:

IBANEZ AF2000BS AF2000
    Thanks, I live in the UK so that seller wouldn't be the right one for me! I have the possibility of getting a used AF2000 for a good price so I am considering it (it's from a shop so I could return it in case I am not happy I guess).
    I am also in contact with someone selling an Elferink Tonemaster (of course for a higher price) so I am trying to clarify pros and cons

User Info Menu

Ooops sorry didn’t realize you were cross puddle!
    The Elferinks look interesting on the web, i haven’t seen one here yet.
    jk

User Info Menu

I’ve enjoyed the improvised misspellings of my surname here I don’t blame you! I’ve been known to get it wrong myself

Regarding the AF2000, it has been my favourite jazz guitar since I bought it, and I used to own the PM2. They are quite different guitars, but the 2000 is definitely on a different level.

That said, I have two jazz guitars, the AF2000 and a beautiful all-acoustic Eastman 910 non-cutaway, and I have been debating with myself which to let go of. I’m still undecided. The truth is I am an acoustic player through and through - lutes and classical guitars mainly - and find myself often playing the 2000 unplugged, as I just can’t be bothered switching on the amp - how’s that for laziness?!

So, jazzimprov, I might be persuaded to sell at a price fair to both of us. Just PM me if interested. I really only have space for one archtop.

User Info Menu

Hi Rob:

“I’ve enjoyed the improvised misspellings of my surname here

Kind of you, my “Mackillan” is pretty damn far from your “MacKillop”.
    As in jazz, improvisation can go really wrong!

(embarrassed)
    jk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spir4L
    Thanks, I live in the UK so that seller wouldn't be the right one for me! I have the possibility of getting a used AF2000 for a good price so I am considering it (it's from a shop so I could return it in case I am not happy I guess).
    I am also in contact with someone selling an Elferink Tonemaster (of course for a higher price) so I am trying to clarify pros and cons
    Hi there

I haven't played the AF2000 but I know the AF200 to be a very fine guitar. Quality is top notch

All of that said, I would recommend the Elferink in a heartbeat. Frans is, in my view, a master craftsman (sic) and unless you happened to want a laminate guitar with a build in pick up for some reason (plenty of good reasons); you would likely find the Tonemaster to be an order of magnitude better

The Ibanez and the Elferink are totally different propositions but if you can get your hands on the latter in the UK, I would do it