The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

Hi,

I'm looking for a Reunion Blues gig bag (or Mooradian or other good gig bag) for my husband's Gibson Tal Farlow. Does anyone out there have a Tal Farlow guitar and an RB gig bag? Would you mind letting me know how it fits?

The bag that seems best is the Blues Acoustic Jazz Western, but the bag dimensions are bigger than the measurements I took of the guitar:

Reunion Blues Acoustic Jazz Western Guitar Inside dimensions:
    43" length x 14" upper bout x 18" lower bout x 5" depth

my Tal Farlow measurements (hopefully accurate):
    total length = 42.1 inches
    body length = 21.1 inches
    depth without bridge = 3.1 inches
    depth with bridge = 3.9 inches
    upper bout =12.6 inches
    lower bout = 16.9 inches

It's important that the bag is quality and that it fits well, as he'll be travelling with it.

I'd really appreciate any advice,

Thanks in advance,
    Miika.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Look into these leather bags, well made, quality stuff. I saw some at a recent guitar show in Philadelphia area.PROBAG
    They are actually less expensive through this dealer than direct-http://www.goldenageguitars.com/index.htm search "Pro Bag"
    I have no connection with either firm, just appreciate a good deal.

User Info Menu

If you want the best ...

glenn cronkhite custom cases

User Info Menu

+1 on the cronkhite. the best comes at a big $$$. but i would also look into MONO bags. i think they have one that would fit that guitar. good luck. i would be psyched if somebody bought me a quality gig bag!

User Info Menu

I have a ProBag, it's absolutely of topquality: thick leather with heavy padding and good quality zippers and carrying handles with plenty of room for my realbook and a cord. I was lucky enough to buy one from a local musicstore who had a large number made with their logo on it (I paid €100 - about US$130 - for it). I use it to transport my ES333 and ES175 and feel very secure they are well protected in the bag.

From what I see from the Reunion Blues bags, the ProBag's quality is about the same or maybe even better.

This German firm also makes nice bags: Harvest Fine Leather | Harvest Fine Leather that look realy realy cool! But they are much more expensive than ProBag.

User Info Menu

The nice thing, too, about Pro Bag is that they will customize for a reasonable fee. I have a quote from them with changes to the pocket and shoulder strap arrangement that only adds about $60US to the $175 retail on a stock bag. Still well below the RB retail.

Thanks all for your recommendations, I didn't realise you could find leather bags so cheaply (pro bag), or that the founder of RB was no longer working with RB!

The thing I'm really interested in now is about the fit. As Cronkhite's site mentions: "Another issue is FIT: If your case is not properly balanced, or the instrument moves around inside, look out! Beware the company that has a limited number of generic sizes and tells you they fit everything. What these companies do is make a case that fits the largest instrument in each category and the smaller ones end up dancing around inside the case. Not good!"

However, I doubt I'll be able to foot the bill of a custom made Cronkhite just now, especially as the current guitar will probably be usurped in the not too distant future. The Tal Farlow is a pretty big guitar, and I'm just wondering if there is a generic size bag which fits it well. I guess only someone with access to a Farlow and the perfect bag can tell me that...???

User Info Menu

Try to send the measurements directly to ProBag here:
    PROBAG, 6113 N.W. 36th Street #4131B Virginia Gardens, Fl 33166| 214/230-2058
    E-mail: probag@cotas.com.bo / www.probag-net.com
    I don't know where you are located, but to my NJ address it would have been less than $300 US for a bag for my Aria FA-71. I will be ordering that bag and one for my 335 this spring.

User Info Menu

I have a rule...never carry an archtop in a gig bag...particularly a nice one.

User Info Menu

i dont get the fear of any guitar in gig bags. if you drop a guitar bad enough to break it in a gig bag, it will likely not fair much better in a hard case. personally, i dont drop guitars. never have in 20 years. the thought of carrying a hard case for twenty years, plus an amp makes me think that likely i would be the broken one before the guitar is.

User Info Menu

J Hale (jhalemusic.com) lists a couple of different gig bags for archtops for $129. I haven't dealt with them, but a number of people here have said Jeff Hale is a stand-up guy. If you got in touch, I bet they could give you a good idea how well one would fit your husband's guitar.

I would also think TKL has something to fit, but I don't see anything on their Web site.

If you wanted a hardshell case, archtops.com lists some in different sizes starting at $195.
    Last edited by goshawk; 04-04-2010 at 06:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mattymel
    i dont get the fear of any guitar in gig bags. if you drop a guitar bad enough to break it in a gig bag, it will likely not fair much better in a hard case. personally, i dont drop guitars. never have in 20 years. the thought of carrying a hard case for twenty years, plus an amp makes me think that likely i would be the broken one before the guitar is.
    I don't know what hard cases you buy, but I've never had one that was a pain to carry.

If you need evidence a gig bag is NOT a good idea for an archtop, just go to Marchione's youtube channel and see what he says. Repair on about a 10 grand archtop....

Don't risk your guitar in a gig bag get a fiberglass hard case. It has nothing to do with "dropping guitars." It has everything to do with protecting them properly. I don't know about you, but I've played enough places and have had nearly everything hit my guitars....random falling objects knocking them over, poor gear handling from set up guys, people tripping or stepping on my stuff...I see no advantage to a gig bag whatsoever, aside from maybe a pound difference in weight.

Archie Guest
    One of the laws of nature is that a cheap guitar in a gig bag will never be dropped; the corollary, of course, is that an expensive guitar in a gig bag is an accident magnet.

User Info Menu

most of the gig bags being referred to in this post have superior neck support to any of the hardshell (highend or otherwise) cases. aside from being run over by a car, or dropped from a tall building and landing on the headstock, im pretty confident my (expensive) guitars will be fine for another 20 years in my gig bags.

the only time i ever even consider hardshells is when i am flying. and from all of the horror stories i have heard there, if the time has come to bust your neck, no case is going to save you.

User Info Menu

You're just plain wrong. you can't get the same protection from a gigbag you do from a hard case, and cut the BS about it being so heavy.

What are you, 5"2 95 pounds? Man up.

You don't have to argue with me, though. Tell it to all of the makers that send their guitars out with high quality hard cases...it's the ONLY way they should travel. Marchione, American Archtops, Victor Baker, Benedetto...

User Info Menu

whoa. chill out man! sorry to offend you by choosing to carry a gig bag. but correct me if im wrong in that this post was about someone asking about good gig bags. not about how manyly YOU evidently are by choosing to carry a hardshell! so IMPRESSIVE!

i would have to say, unless you are actually a travelling musician, you likely dont really know what you are talking about. as with most people that buy $10,000 guitars, the vast majority dont even have gigs to play them at. personally, i have toured extensively throughout the US, Europe, Canada and Japan. all with gig bags, and have never had an incident. and that includes dropping it over once or twice. so i will (disrespectfully at this point) beg to differ.

PS personally i think all those guitars you named are garbage. and Anderson guitars actually do ship in quality gig bags and i would rather play one of those any day. sounds to me like you have a serious case of 'roidrage. not surprisingly you might actually NEED something even bigger and stronger than fiberglass. and maybe a monster truck to drive it around in on top of that. but overall i think you would be best served by a gig bag (if you ever get a gig) and some anger management classes. so there...big man
    Last edited by mattymel; 04-05-2010 at 06:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mattymel
    whoa. chill out man! sorry to offend you by choosing to carry a gig bag. but correct me if im wrong in that this post was about someone asking about good gig bags. not about how manyly YOU evidently are by choosing to carry a hardshell! so IMPRESSIVE!

i would have to say, unless you are actually a travelling musician, you likely dont really know what you are talking about. as with most people that buy $10,000 guitars, the vast majority dont even have gigs to play them at. personally, i have toured extensively throughout the US, Europe, Canada and Japan. all with gig bags, and have never had an incident. and that includes dropping it over once or twice. so i will (disrespectfully at this point) beg to differ.

PS personally i think all those guitars you named are garbage. and Anderson guitars actually do ship in quality gig bags and i would rather play one of those any day. so there...big man
    Why are you going off on a tangent and posting pure speculation?

All I said was expensive archtops have been damaged in good gig bags, as discussed by master luthier Marchione, there are high quality cases of a similar price or even less than the aforementioned gig bags, and they often don't weigh much more.

And you're a fool, buddy. They are great luthiers...and I doubt you've even played their stuff.

And Anderson guitars...the solid body guitars? I don't know of any real luthier that ships or moves instruments in gig bags. If you want more, go look at ANDERSEN, Gagnon, Mirabella...maybe you think those are garbage too? Pathetic. Stop spreading misinformation and resorting to personal attacks.
    Last edited by 82Benedetto; 04-05-2010 at 06:41 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 82Benedetto
    You're just plain wrong. you can't get the same protection from a gigbag you do from a hard case, and cut the BS about it being so heavy.

sounds like a personal attack to me...so why dont you go somewhere else if you cant tolerate differing opinions. there is no need to go assuming i am some kind of a wussy boy because i choose not to carry a hardcase. sorry, but you just sound like a immature moron with a chip on your shoulder.

[QUOTE]And you're a fool, buddy. They are great luthiers...and I doubt you've even played their stuff.[QUOTE]

wrong again...i actually have played every single one of those luthiers and they are fine, but overall lacking in character for my taste. to each his own.

[QUOTE]Why are you going off on a tangent and posting pure speculation?[QUOTE]

how is it speculation? i am telling you from MY OWN firsthand, personal experience that gig bags have worked for me FOR YEARS! you contradict yourself (and look stupid) when you tell others they are speculating because "somebody else told you so"! just because somebody builds guitars, that doesnt mean they know what works best for ME personally as a gigging, professional musician.

i play gigs in busy cities, sometimes traveling on subways, trains, planes carrying an amp and anything else i need for a gig. if you cant see why that might NOT be ideal with a hardshell case, than i guess you arent very imaginative. or likely YOU JUST DONT KNOW because you are a confrontational jerk with no gigs.

i was speaking of andersen archtops (which i also have played here in seattle, and they school any benedetto for half the money). he will send them in "custom gig bags". look on his website. i think he would know.
    Last edited by mattymel; 04-05-2010 at 11:22 PM.

User Info Menu

mattymel, it's because he's here to hock "his" chinese import guitars, which will likely have a hard case, so no gig bag could ever do.

RB and probags are high quality, and I wouldn't hesitate to carry a guitar in them.

signed,

jeff

(gigging musician)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    mattymel, it's because he's here to hock "his" chinese import guitars, which will likely have a hard case, so no gig bag could ever do.

RB and probags are high quality, and I wouldn't hesitate to carry a guitar in them.

signed,

jeff

(gigging musician)
    Didn't mention my guitars anywhere in the thread.

I gig, too, and I happen to have a different opinion, but it's no fault of mine you get so upset I disagree. Take a little more time to be a little less critical. Perhaps you should consider keeping the discussion related to guitars, rather than making brash generalizations.
    Last edited by 82Benedetto; 04-05-2010 at 10:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 82Benedetto

You're the one that made it personal. don't dish it out if you can't take it.

User Info Menu

if anybody here has been overly critical, it is you with your childish name calling, 82Benedicko. who are you to tell other people you know what works for them? i never told YOU you are stupid for carrying your guitar in a hardcase. and with the whole MACHO big case comments, you are obviously a sad, frustrated person.

i simply noted that i have used a QUALITY gigbag and have loved it for 20 years as was the original subject of the posting. GET A LIFE, loser!

User Info Menu

Well, the bars and venues I play are so small and crowded that a hardcase just isn't an option - wouldn't even be able to lay it down to get the guitar in and out - so I am condemned to use a gigbag. (Obviously I don't bring a 10K Benedetto to a gig like that - wouldn't even if I had one - just my working-horse ES333). Those gigs are usually in the centre of town and miles away from the nearest parkingplace, so I have to walk with my guitar for at least 10-15 minutes and to carry the guitar on my back is much less tiring, even though my gigbag weighs as much as my Gibson case!

If I was touring around the world, needing to load my guitar into airplanes and tourbusses all the time, I would surely invest in a fibreglass case, but for me a good gigbag is much more practical.

So I guess the need/usage determines what you need, a case or a bag, both having pro's and con's......

User Info Menu

Gentlemen clean up the personal attacks please.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Well, the bars and venues I play are so small and crowded that a hardcase just isn't an option - wouldn't even be able to lay it down to get the guitar in and out - so I am condemned to use a gigbag. (Obviously I don't bring a 10K Benedetto to a gig like that - wouldn't even if I had one - just my working-horse ES333). Those gigs are usually in the centre of town and miles away from the nearest parkingplace, so I have to walk with my guitar for at least 10-15 minutes and to carry the guitar on my back is much less tiring, even though my gigbag weighs as much as my Gibson case!

If I was touring around the world, needing to load my guitar into airplanes and tourbusses all the time, I would surely invest in a fibreglass case, but for me a good gigbag is much more practical.

So I guess the need/usage determines what you need, a case or a bag, both having pro's and con's......
    I understand what you're saying, but then again I tend to think an ES333 is a bit more durable than an archtop. I mean, if you're not careful and something hit's the top of your gigbag you could crack the top right then and there. So I guess another option would be using a different guitar for some applications if one doesn't feel comfortable putting an expensive one in the line of fire