The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

What's your favorite string size... either factory set or individual assembled set?

This video just popped into my recommended feed on Youtube... sounds like an interesting string size combination to try.

... spoiler alert if you want to skip to Rich's preferred set and sizes....
    D'Addario ECG23 Chromes Flat Wound Electric Guitar Strings, Extra Light, 10-48 replacing the high E and B with a 13 and 15 single.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi, S,
    I would not recommend this video for anyone other than an advanced player since its thesis is very esoteric and could easily sidetrack a less advanced player. Until you achieve a high level of playing, find a comfortable set of strings that work at your level. What he plays, as a pro, has nothing to do with you.
    Marinero

Good point. I think Rich’s point of the video is he has done years of experimenting and he found this particular combination the best fit for him… and perhaps others will feel similarly.

Your last point of finding something comfortable is what he is stating… in the video he merely provides a set he likes for comfort and sound.

most of us continue to tinker with different gear, beside pics strings are probably the least expensive gear to experiment with.

With pics, it is amazing how much a slight thickness difference can make in guitar tone.

User Info Menu

How expensive is it to try a set of his strings? Give it a shot.

I think $22. Though currently back ordered. It’s about less expensive than if one were the order the set, then and separate 13 and 15.

I just ordered the same strings through Strings By Mail for a bit less expensive than if ordered through Rich's website. I am very much an amateur so I will likely not be able to compare these with other strings as I change strings so rarely and honestly I don't remember which strings are on which guitars. That stated, if I like this combination then I'll keep using it.

Here are the links to the strings I ordered to try and create the set that Rich used and has compiled. Total cost including shipping within the US was $54.88 for the three pack of Chromes and the three individuals of a .013 and .015 each.
    D'Addario ECG23-3D Flatwound Chromes Extra Light 10-48, 3 sets
    D'Addario PL013 Plain Steel Ball End .013 in. (.33 mm) Single String
    D'Addario PL015 Plain Steel Ball End .015 in. (.38 mm) Single String

Strings by Mail was cheaper than Amazon.

User Info Menu

Maybe it is just a ruse to sell strings.

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Maybe it is just a ruse to sell strings.
    Perhaps. Then again, pretty much everything guitar related is a ruse to get us to buy things.

I have some strings to change so I thought I'd give it ago. I tend to like thinner strings so this idea seems like an inexpensive thing to try.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Z
    What's your favorite string size... either factory set or individual assembled set?

This video just popped into my recommended feed on Youtube... sounds like an interesting string size combination to try.

... spoiler alert if you want to skip to Rich's preferred set and sizes....
    D'Addario ECG23 Chromes Flat Wound Electric Guitar Strings, Extra Light, 10-48 replacing the high E and B with a 13 and 15 single.

Finally someone puts together a string set for common mortals!!!

I have a few brand new sets of Pat Martino GHS PM lights (read "jumbos") I never dared put them on any of my guitars yet.....I see extreme finger pain just thinking about it!!..The question has been asked so often about "fatter/fuller" sounding E and B strings. Been playing D'addarios ECG24 for a while, love the 3rd to 6th (.050) but the first 2? mehh!! although the B is a .015 but E is .011 .... I might give these a try.

Thk you Steve for sharing, and Big THx to Rich for doing all the "heavy lifting"

Ray
    Last edited by RayS; 05-10-2022 at 08:23 PM.

User Info Menu

I think I need to spend more time than money.

Strings are a minor issue in terms of the challenges I have.

User Info Menu

Rich is a likeable guy and a good player IMO. He has a light touch, so bear in mind that a set with 13, 15 top and a 48 bottom is pretty idiosyncratic as regards tension and therefore feel. You may get on with this set but if you don't, try something like a 12-52 or 11-50 set of Chromes and change out the plain strings to taste. Thomastik Swings in 12 or 13 gauge would be another obvious choice if you like a "thinner" feel on the wound strings. Then, down to practice because this is one of the deepest rabbit holes known to guitar players. I speak from experience.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RayS
    Finally someone puts together a string set for common mortals!!!

I have a few brand new sets of Pat Martino GHS PM lights (read "jumbos") I never dared put them on any of my guitars yet.....I see extreme finger pain just thinking about it!!..The question has been asked so often about "fatter/fuller" sounding E and B strings. Been playing D'addarios ECG24 for a while, love the 3rd to 6th (.050) but the first 2? mehh!! although the B is a .015 but E is .011 .... I might give these a try.

Ray
    I switched to a 12-52 set a month or so ago on my main practice archtop, after spending some time with 11s, and yesterday I played my Epiphone Sheraton which still has 10s on it. Wow, do they feel weak and puny now I reckon you'll get used anything in a short time.

User Info Menu

I bought a 3-pack of strings from Rich, one set for each of my 3 guitars. I am not a pro, nor even an accomplished amateur, so I did not buy these strings to produce a particular sound or tone texture; honestly, that level of precision is well beyond my skill level.

Over the past couple of years, I have tried lots of different brands and gauges of strings, both flat and round wounds, and before trying this string set, have found the D’Addario Chrome 11s to be the most comfortable for me. Buying these strings from Rich was just another step in the process of discovery that many of the more experienced players here seem to have gone through to find the particular instrument and strings that feel comfortable and sound good. I simply took Rich’s recommendation at face value that based on his experience as a player and teacher, this particular set of string gauges offers him the best combination of feel and sound, and for now I’m happy to say I was comfortable with the strings from the first touch and also with the sound. So, I will stick with them until the experimentation bug bites again.

User Info Menu

First off, I am a big fan of Rich Severson. I have, for years, purchased his educational material, arrangements and such and always benefitted from it. He is one of the very few jazz guitar instructors on the internet that is legitimate in my opinion.

I tried his string gage set up a while ago, and to my surprise, I did not find the string combination too light as I was anticipating. Even using them on my short scale (24.6") Peerless Martin Taylor Maestro they sound good. I find that the lighter gage on the wound strings allows for higher action, and greater neck relief, which I think enhanced the tonal qualities of the archtop.

User Info Menu

I will say, for playing straight ahead stuff, the heavy top lighter bottom does work great. I don't go quite as light as Rich does, but I agree with the concept...I see no benefits in going heavier with the whole set--it's the trebles that benefit the most.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

The gauges he uses are pretty close to TI JS120, with a .013 substituted for the .012. The best thing about the TI set is that the tension is balanced. Normal sets have the D and G, especially, with much higher tension than the rest. He's right that the E and A are pretty boomy in most standard sets. Yes, he's trying to sell strings, to make some money, but he's mostly right about what he says.

User Info Menu

The heavier TI George Benson set is exactly the direction what Rick invents in his video. Of course it has insane price, more economical to use your regular favourite set's lighter version, and change the B and E strings to a single from any acceptable manufacturer.

I always found soundwise the problem is E snd B, especially E. Both has different sound (and also louder) than the wounded other four, and plinky, especially E. The loud difference may (or may not) be compensated with PU screws if there are any.

At the same time the heavier D, A, E has no benefit, just drawbacks. Sound became too boomy and general playing became a bit harder. So it is a very obvious step use a lightest set available where the G is still wound, and change the E and B to heavier.

I do not think this is only for the pros, and why beginners would be disturbed by this? (except the very few first months, where a 15s E would kill) Indeed, this makes playing chords easier compared to a standard 12s or 13s set. Besides of this, I really do not know any youngster, who started guitar learning on an archtop, so the question of 11s, 12s... 15s E is academic, does not even raises in the first months.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor

At the same time the heavier D, A, E has no benefit, just drawbacks. Sound became too boomy and general playing became a bit harder. So it is a very obvious step use a lightest set available where the G is still wound, and change the E and B to heavier.
    Where I think it matters, is on a guitar that requires the heavier strings to bring out its full resonance and tone. I experienced this, going from an 11-49 set to a 12-52 set. The whole sound came alive with the heavier strings, and I don't think going back to the light set and just changing to heavier 1st and 2nd strings would achieve the same exactly.

User Info Menu

Guitarists like to mess around with strings until they find the right strings.
    It is often related to the quality of the instrument / set up / they play and the style-way of playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, S,
    I would not recommend this video for anyone other than an advanced player since its thesis is very esoteric and could easily sidetrack a less advanced player. Until you achieve a high level of playing, find a comfortable set of strings that work at your level. What he plays, as a pro, has nothing to do with you.
    Marinero
    My experience has been completely different : when I got my first Ibanez GB10 back in 1979 I immediately put a set of Thomastik medium heavy flats on it (with an 0.14 on top) because all the pro players I read about in Downbeat and Guitar Player recommended at least medium gauge strings - the only player I knew back then who used light strings was Abercrombie but he didn't play an archtop. So I suffered for a while but it strengthened my fingers, my right hand attack/plectrum technique, left-right coordination was improved and the sound was there. I was studying classical guitar also at the time and my teachers were opposed against low-tension strings and they were right. These are not loud enough (you tend to play too hard trying to compensate), the low tension can impede your alternate finger stroke and you don't build up the left hand strength that you WILL need further down the road. The only time I recommend low tension strings to my students (or other guitarists) is when there is a physical condition, very young age or very old age.
    When I listen to Rich I always wish that he would pick a little harder but his touch is very light so he gets a TOTALLY different tone.

User Info Menu

Out of curiosity, I ordered two sets of Pat Martino signature strings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by j4zz
    Where I think it matters, is on a guitar that requires the heavier strings to bring out its full resonance and tone. I experienced this, going from an 11-49 set to a 12-52 set. The whole sound came alive with the heavier strings, and I don't think going back to the light set and just changing to heavier 1st and 2nd strings would achieve the same exactly.
    yes, we should differentiate between acoustic and amplified setting. Acoustically it could be a benefit to have heavier lower strings, and also may improve the general feel in some styles. However in amplified setting the boomy lower strings are almost always a non-desirable, and eq setting very often used to eliminate.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Out of curiosity, I ordered two sets of Pat Martino signature strings.
    why two?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    why two?
    One set set for hollow-body arch-top and second set for Tele/chambered body/.
    I wonder if I will get tired.
    ...but the sound should be excellent ...