The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 43

User Info Menu

Here's another tune I recorded this evening. I'm playing a #JCRFretlessBass #Gibson175, #FractalFM3 using Celestion and #redwirez Impulse responses for guitar, Tyler Spicer's Aguilar SL112 impulse response for bass.
    My photography in the background.
    Dedicated to my father, Sy Zucker who was a bassist and who died from covid in january 2021

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Love it Jack! Sounds wonderful!!

User Info Menu

Very nice. End of a long journey to get this 175?
    Nice photography. Are you a professional photographer?

User Info Menu

Fine playing (on both instruments!) and great tone.

I have written many times that a good 175 is all the guitar a jazz guitarist needs. Of course "need" and "want" are two different things.

That beautiful Gibson would look better with the truss rod cover on and the clip on tuner off. Just sayin'

User Info Menu

Very nice, Jack!!

User Info Menu

Great playing & tone!

User Info Menu

Nice dreamy tune!

thanks for the comments guys and to deacon mark and stringswinger for help with which 175 to get.

I almost got rid of this guitar. I was not bonding with it and finally switched the strings from daddario chromes to thomastic js112. After a week, the thomastics have worn in (they are very bright at first) and now I really love it.

Quote Originally Posted by icr
    Very nice. End of a long journey to get this 175?
    Nice photography. Are you a professional photographer?
    I tried professional photography for about 10 years but could never make any money at it. I should have picked more lucrative hobbies!

User Info Menu

Beautiful, Jack.

User Info Menu

That bass and guitar are so tight it’s as if they share the same mind! Great, just great. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    That bass and guitar are so tight it’s as if they share the same mind! Great, just great. Thank you.
    lol, i wish I could morph into hadrien feraud for the bass parts.

User Info Menu

Sounds great, Jack. So does this mean your back to using a modeling system instead of an amp?

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Sounds great, Jack. So does this mean your back to using a modeling system instead of an amp?
    combination of both. Using the modeler into either a markbass amp or dvmark amp. Using my bass speakers. Aguilar SL112

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    thanks for the comments guys and to deacon mark and stringswinger for help with which 175 to get.

I almost got rid of this guitar. I was not bonding with it and finally switched the strings from daddario chromes to thomastic js112. After a week, the thomastics have worn in (they are very bright at first) and now I really love it.
    Jack whatever you do, do not part with this 175 unless you completely know what you will be getting for the money. The funny thing is it may not at all be a guitar could be something else like a different home and you need some extra cash to make it work. I say this because right now Gibson is not making any archtops and it will be a long time before they do if ever again or in any quantity. Here is the book on jazz guitars and if you fall into one of these categories consider you basically are at the top of the food chain. To sell one of these guitars and this goes for all of us on the forum.........make sure you are getting what you want because the grass is not greener just a different shade.

Guitars at the top of food Chain in no particular order they all work. In whatever pickup or no pickup options you happen to like.

1. Gibson es175......the jazz guitar for everything
    2. Gibson L5 the number 1 carved top guitar that is still within in reach
    3. Gibson Tal alternative to 175
    4. D'angelico (real ones) not much to say they work
    5. Gibson Super 400 the big alternative to an L5

Notice I listed no other guitars. Naturally there are sleepers and good buys but in my world these guitars are pretty much the gold standard and will always have value and be sellable. So Jack notice you are at the top of food chain with I think Polar Bears ( they are in real life). If you get the urge to sell this guitar and do not need the money for some life saving purpose, simply put the guitar in hibernation.........carefully in the case. Let it sit there until you get a bit bored and want to play real jazz guitar in the tradition of the past but with your own great talent. Then get it out and play it again and you will have found the buried treasure for the second time. It might sit in the case for weeks or even months, possibly longer, but so what you just go drag it out and play a tune.

Great playing as always.

Thanks - and great advice as always.

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Jack whatever you do, do not part with this 175 unless you completely know what you will be getting for the money. The funny thing is it may not at all be a guitar could be something else like a different home and you need some extra cash to make it work. I say this because right now Gibson is not making any archtops and it will be a long time before they do if ever again or in any quantity. Here is the book on jazz guitars and if you fall into one of these categories consider you basically are at the top of the food chain. To sell one of these guitars and this goes for all of us on the forum.........make sure you are getting what you want because the grass is not greener just a different shade.

Guitars at the top of food Chain in no particular order they all work. In whatever pickup or no pickup options you happen to like.

1. Gibson es175......the jazz guitar for everything
    2. Gibson L5 the number 1 carved top guitar that is still within in reach
    3. Gibson Tal alternative to 175
    4. D'angelico (real ones) not much to say they work
    5. Gibson Super 400 the big alternative to an L5

Notice I listed no other guitars. Naturally there are sleepers and good buys but in my world these guitars are pretty much the gold standard and will always have value and be sellable. So Jack notice you are at the top of food chain with I think Polar Bears ( they are in real life). If you get the urge to sell this guitar and do not need the money for some life saving purpose, simply put the guitar in hibernation.........carefully in the case. Let it sit there until you get a bit bored and want to play real jazz guitar in the tradition of the past but with your own great talent. Then get it out and play it again and you will have found the buried treasure for the second time. It might sit in the case for weeks or even months, possibly longer, but so what you just go drag it out and play a tune.

Great playing as always.

User Info Menu

Your bass playing is tight too Jack! Loved it!

User Info Menu

Beautiful. Melodic, lyrical, plus the bass is great. Excellent sound too. Thank you.

User Info Menu

Lovely everything !! Kudos !

(BIAB drummer ? -sorry for asking)

User Info Menu

Wonderful playing. Sorry for your loss.

User Info Menu

Great playing, and beautiful guitar. A keeper for sure.

I always hate to compare good player’s playing with other players, but I immediately thought of Pat Metheny and especially Larry Coryell.

The bass playing was also top level!

thanks so much guys. Ironically, since my dad died i've played/practiced bass almost exclusively except the last 2/3 months. I have found that bass is my real love. I'm keeping up my guitar chops but I'd really love to focus just on bass. It's kind of hard to "come out" as a bassist at age 64 though, haha!

User Info Menu

But way easier to get gigs as a bassist than as a guitarist. Guitarists are a dime a dozen, even in jazz. Everybody and their nephew plays the thing and quite frankly if you have a horn player and a keyboardist you have no need for a guitarist in a band. But a bass player; everybody has to have one of those.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    But way easier to get gigs as a bassist than as a guitarist. Guitarists are a dime a dozen, even in jazz. Everybody and their nephew plays the thing and quite frankly if you have a horn player and a keyboardist you have no need for a guitarist in a band. But a bass player; everybody has to have one of those.
    All true, but I have found that for Classic Jazz, Swing and Gypsy jazz, an electric bassist is not in demand. I can play the electric bass just fine, but the doghouse bass is a fiddle, not a guitar, and I am no fiddler!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    agree bass players are ALWAYS working, even the mediocre ones
    but if you play in organ bands like I do, left hand bass and pedals take care of that