The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I have this guitar from about 15 years. I played it rarely, mainly because its body dimensions, too big for me.
    I found a very enthusiastic review on an old Guitar Player magazine dated 10/1997, stating it was better than a 175 (!).
    Did you ever played it? What do you think of it?

Cort LCS-1-guitarplayer_10_1997_pagina_1-jpgCort LCS-1-guitarplayer_10_1997_pagina_2-jpgCort LCS-1-guitarplayer_10_1997_pagina_3-jpgCort LCS-1-guitarplayer_10_1997_pagina_4-jpgCort LCS-1-guitarplayer_10_1997_pagina_5-jpgCort LCS-1-guitarplayer_10_1997_pagina_6-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Cort is one of the factories Ibanez has their guitars built in. Solidly built. Good materials.
    There are large factories in Asia who turn out guitars of high quality that are fitted with brand specified hardware and stamped with other names on their headstocks (you'll find Ibanez, Epiphone, PRS, lots of Asian versions of American brand guitars) and these factories (like Cort, Samick, Peerless among them) will also put out their own name guitars. I tend to like these because their hardware and details can include things that might distinguish them in the market (maybe a little nicer).
    So it's funny sometimes when there'll be a "shoot out" by publications, different brands, same productions..All of this to say the Corts are top notch grade guitars, on par with Ibanez's better mid/high level jazz boxes at the time.

User Info Menu

I stumbled upon Cort (low budget) acoustic guitars in the past and always found them to be of surprisingly good quality, with strikingly deep bass respons.

User Info Menu

That looks like a really cool guitar.

Prices back then seemed really high—MSRP I guess. Over $900 for an Epi Joe Pass? Crazy. I got mine (a ‘99) for $400 in the early ‘00’s. And I paid about $800 for a brand new 175 in the early ‘80’s…$4-5000 in the ‘90’s? That’s a lot of inflation!

I imagine Charlie was rolling over in his grave at what was named after him. Maybe not…he was a pioneer, maybe he would have shredded the heck out of it.

User Info Menu

Jim Triggs designed a archtop for Cort, I think there’s one on eBay but it’s the prototype and priced accordingly
    I believe it was made for Larry Coryell check it out just type in Triggs archtop you’ll see it

BigMike

User Info Menu

If talking about the Cort its a superb budget jazz guitar. I had one for a while that i got for a friend/student to buy, it was way above its price league. Everyone wanted to buy it! I would strongly recommend it.

User Info Menu

I've got LCS-2, which hardly can be found, but after setting up and changing pickups (previous owner did it) I like it very much.

User Info Menu

I like that 9 1/2 hour "Archtop Guitar Design and Construction Course" from Robert Benedetto on the last page at the top

User Info Menu

The Corts were really good guitars. I had opportunities to try a couple and they had great playability, as good as any guitar. I used to see used ones for sale every now and then at a great price, but not lately.

I saw Coryell actually playing one in the late 90s-early 2000s at the San Jose Jazz Festival. It sounded just fine in his hands.

User Info Menu

I think there was a Larry Coryell model.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 03-31-2023 at 11:59 AM.

User Info Menu

Cort also makes some interesting electric nylons with narrower necks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I think there was a Larry Cornell model.
    Right, as noted in the article. And he (Coryell) actually played it--at least on the road.

User Info Menu

Yes, that is LCS-2 Larry Coryell. Here is mine (pickguard and pickups are not original).

Cort LCS-1-cort-jpg