The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Different strings, especially with different gauges, can often affect intonation. Having to move the bridge slightly after changing to different strings is not unusual
    I think the high E was about 7ct sharp at the 12th fret, and moving the bridge+saddle backwards must have exposed about 5mm of marks in the nitro (parallel to the bridge, presumably an imprint of a not very properly finished underside of the base??). I waited about 24h after the string change to give the woods time to settle to the new tension distribution.

IME the playing difficulty of the B string is often caused by having the nut slot too high. It's one of the thickest strings in the set, and thus one of the stiffest.
    I use wound G strings so the B is the 2nd thinnest string in my sets
    Intuitively I'd say that too low an action at the nut is also not good for the B, not if it tends to fall under one of the less thick parts of your index finger (aka a joint). I've adjusted that action to be as low as I dare to make it on both trebles - and have a ZeroGlide nut incoming which I'll have installed at the same time as changing the saddle (got both the all-ebony Foley saddle plus the rosewood+bone; will get the ebony base adjusted to my top and then see which saddle gives that best sound to my ears).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The core of a wound G is the thinnest of a set. The G is thicker only if the G is plain.

The nut slot is too low only if the string buzzes on the first fret when plucked open. If it doesn't buzz when plucked, the slot is not too low. Too low is a problem if you play open strings, but not necessarily if you only play fretted strings.

With a bone insert, I defy you to tell whether a rosewood or ebony saddle is in use while blindfolded. Really, I defy you to tell, blindfolded, whether the saddle is ebony or rosewood without an insert.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    The core of a wound G is the thinnest of a set. The G is thicker only if the G is plain.
    Exactly what are you trying to say? The string gauges that count are the external diameters, which is also what is specified on the set/string packaging. My B is a 0.016" at the moment, the G a 0.019". Evidently a wound string has a core wire that's thinner (kind of the point of using winding), quite possibly thinner than that plain wire next string up.

I was indeed hoping that the difference between the use of rosewood and ebony in the saddle would be undetectable with a bone insert. Ebony is harder which is enough reason to prefer it when not using a bone saddle. The saddles and bases are interchangeable so I'll pay only once for matching a base to the top - the one that theoretically has the least low-pass characteristic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Exactly what are you trying to say? The string gauges that count are the external diameters, which is also what is specified on the set/string packaging. My B is a 0.016" at the moment, the G a 0.019"..
    For intonation, the gauge of the core wire is what counts.

Take a look at a bridge intonated for a plain g and for a wound g and the light bulb will come on

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohanAbrandt
    For intonation, the gauge of the core wire is what counts.
    I guess it makes sense that the core is what counts most, but then how do you explain that a thin-core set intonates just fine without changes to compensation?
    (I've used GHS thin cores on my jumbo, can't remember having had a reason to quantify intonation errors.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    I guess it makes sense that the core is what counts most, but then how do you explain that a thin-core set intonates just fine without changes to compensation?
    (I've used GHS thin cores on my jumbo, can't remember having had a reason to quantify intonation errors.)
    Well, its the relationship between pitch and wire gauge and string weight that decides the exact length of each string and the change between a 0.10 and a 0.12 tuned to e is so small that some can live with it.

Intonation aside we are living in world of a tempered scale and straight fretwire so anything is an approximation anyhow =)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohanAbrandt
    Well, its the relationship between pitch and wire gauge and string weight that decides the exact length of each string
    pitch, gauge, unit weight and tension

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArnoldSchoenberg
    I've been using the La Bella Tapes on an archtop for awhile now, and this is my main complaint. Their tension is very low, and even moderate fretting pressure make notes go sharp. If you like a high action, forget it. I had to use the ginormous 14-67 Tapes with a low action to make the intonation problem tolerable. (The 12-56 Tapes made me want to tear my hair out; they were elastic.)
    I have the same problem with the LaBellas. Are the Pyramids any better?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I have the same problem with the LaBellas. Are the Pyramids any better?
    I can't compare them to the LaBellas, but they do give some intonation problems if the action at the nut is too high. You'd have to try them to know if they're any better for you...