The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 70

User Info Menu

anyone ever find a resource for plugs in 2022 and beyond? I need a pair for my 175...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    anyone ever find a resource for plugs in 2022 and beyond? I need a pair for my 175...
    Jack-It looks like Victor Baker is making some now:

New F hole plug design! Pics and installation demonstration » Inside Victor Baker's Shop

Doug

EDIT: Just realized-that was posted in2013, maybe Vic doesn't make 'em any more. Still, it's worth an email.

User Info Menu

During the summer we stopped into Michaels, bought a sheet each of these:
    12" x 18" Foam Sheet by Creatology™ | Michaels

9"" x 12"" Thick Foam Sheet by Creatology™

This is stuff that kids use to make cosplay outfits. It took us several tries to make an f-hole rubbing that we were happy with, then a few more tries to make a paper template from this that appeared to be the right size, then several tries to trace that onto the 6 mm sheet, then quite bit of rather fiddly cutting to get plugs that fit into the f-holes snugly but not too tight. I wasn't really happy with how that part turned out, The thick foam was hard to cut and none of the many scissors we tried made it easy to follow the curves of the f-hole, but I decided to press on just to see how they worked.

It took additional experimenting to make a paper template that was a good size for the top pieces. Cutting the thin foam was much easier, but unlike the plugs these pieces show. My first attempt looks crude--I used them anyway because it is still a test, besides which no one in the band cares was my guitar looks like and the audience can't see the f-holes through my music stand, especially with our band shrouds in place. Once assembled with cyanoacrylate they went into the f-holes nicely.

All in all it was much more work than I'd expected. How do they work? Well, I still don't know. Trying them in the house I find some dulling of the sound, can't really judge feedback improvement. The band, off for the summer, started rehearsals two weeks ago. First gig that I'm likely to need them isn't until November because at the October concerts I'll have FOH and monitor support, so I can keep my stage volume a little lower.

I'll keep you posted.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B

New F hole plug design! Pics and installation demonstration » Inside Victor Baker's Shop

Doug

EDIT: Just realized-that was posted in2013, maybe Vic doesn't make 'em any more. Still, it's worth an email.
    I'm guessing $250-ish...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W.

This is stuff that kids use to make cosplay outfits. It took us several tries to make an f-hole rubbing that we were happy with, then a few more tries to make a paper template from this that appeared to be the right size, then several tries to trace that onto the 6 mm sheet, then quite bit of rather fiddly cutting to get plugs that fit into the f-holes snugly but not too tight. I wasn't really happy with how that part turned out, The thick foam was hard to cut and none of the many scissors we tried made it easy to follow the curves of the f-hole, but I decided to press on just to see how they worked.

It took additional experimenting to make a paper template that was a good size for the top pieces. Cutting the thin foam was much easier, but unlike the plugs these pieces show. My first attempt looks crude--I used them anyway because it is still a test, besides which no one in the band cares was my guitar looks like and the audience can't see the f-holes through my music stand, especially with our band shrouds in place. Once assembled with cyanoacrylate they went into the f-holes nicely.

All in all it was much more work than I'd expected. How do they work? Well, I still don't know. Trying them in the house I find some dulling of the sound, can't really judge feedback improvement. The band, off for the summer, started rehearsals two weeks ago. First gig that I'm likely to need them isn't until November because at the October concerts I'll have FOH and monitor support, so I can keep my stage volume a little lower.

I'll keep you posted.

Danny W.
    If you don't have access to a bandsaw an exacto knife will work on the thick foam

User Info Menu

It's not exactly plug and play, but some years ago I got a couple blocks of that charcoal colored foam stuff and carefully worked them into the F holes. It took a bit of patience, but it worked out fine. It doesn't really have to be cut cleanly as long as the side that presses against the F-hole is smooth.

Of course, they muffle the acoustic properties of the instrument, but I always used it plugged-in anyway. If you get it to match the depth of the guitar (or glue a couple pieces together to match that depth) you can gently wedge it between the top and the back. I never had any issues with it moving out of position or damaging anything.

User Info Menu

I'm guessing $250-ish...
    Yes after all, it IS Victor Baker, luthier! :-)

User Info Menu

seems like neither of those is thick enough. The plugs I have in my ibanez are about 1/2" thick just in the insert side

I'll keep you posted.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

these guys are also out of business...

f-itsfeedbackblockers - they have a facebook page and a broken web link. From facebook, the manufacturer told me they don't make them anymore.

User Info Menu

I had the same problem in the past and ended up solving it by

1) a desginer friend of mine did an exact computer model of the f-holes (it's a very simple job for a skilled designer, he did it in a few minutes)

2) got some cheap EVA foam

3) found a store with a CNC machine that was willing to do a custom one order piece (and cheap!).

Step 3 was actually the hardest, as most stores with a CNC machine, understandably, only do large batch orders - or charge you insane money for a one off. The plugs fit perfectly, and ended up costing no more than a few euros.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    I had the same problem in the past and ended up solving it by

1) a desginer friend of mine did an exact computer model of the f-holes (it's a very simple job for a skilled designer, he did it in a few minutes)

2) got some cheap EVA foam

3) found a store with a CNC machine that was willing to do a custom one order piece (and cheap!).

Step 3 was actually the hardest, as most stores with a CNC machine, understandably, only do large batch orders - or charge you insane money for a one off. The plugs fit perfectly, and ended up costing no more than a few euros.
    what thickness foam did you use?

User Info Menu

what thickness foam did you use?
    Unfortunately, no idea. It was more than 10 years ago - but my friend was the one who told what thickness to buy, when he measured the f-holes.

User Info Menu

Doug's Plugs is out of business. Any alternatives?-20220928_145136-jpgDoug's Plugs is out of business. Any alternatives?-20220928_145143-jpgDoug's Plugs is out of business. Any alternatives?-20220928_145147-jpgDoug's Plugs is out of business. Any alternatives?-20220928_145151-jpg

User Info Menu

Hope the pictures help. I was actually surprised how easy and cheap it was to get it done, I understand why Doug was able to retire so soon

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    If you don't have access to a bandsaw an exacto knife will work on the thick foam
    After watching a video that was the first tool I tried. None of my blades made any headway, perhaps because they're all at least 50 years old.

seems like neither of those is thick enough. The plugs I have in my ibanez are about 1/2" thick just in the insert side
    The 6mm foam is thicker than the tops on my guitars and stays in place quite firmly. The 2mm top is just for decoration and to keep the plug from falling through. Both seem thick enough to me. The foam is dirt cheap, you can always use super glue to make 4mm, 8mm or 12mm pieces if those would make you more comfortable.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I'm going to resist writing, "that's what she said!"
    We were just watching the film "Knocked Up." They visit a female gynecologist. During the exam with her tool inside, she says something like, "Somethings not right in here... Oh wait, wrong hole."
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 09-28-2022 at 03:39 PM.

User Info Menu

This is the stuff they use to separate concrete blocks. Search for "concrete expansion joints." Extremely featherweight, durable, flexible, and trimmable. This one seems to be the most appropriate type for cutting a plug.

CONFORM EXPANSION JOINTS

Doug's Plugs is out of business. Any alternatives?-plugs-jpg

User Info Menu

Here's a side view of one I made with the Creatology EVA foam, 6mm plug & 2mm top:

Doug's Plugs is out of business. Any alternatives?-guitarfoamplug_108-jpg

and the top view:

Doug's Plugs is out of business. Any alternatives?-guitarfoamplug_109-jpg

Actual material cost to make is 10 cents a pair, assuming I make 10 pairs, which I won't.

Still haven't tried them outside the house.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    This is the stuff they use to separate concrete blocks. Search for "concrete expansion joints." Extremely featherweight, durable, flexible, and trimmable. This one seems to be the most appropriate type for cutting a plug.

CONFORM EXPANSION JOINTS

Doug's Plugs is out of business. Any alternatives?-plugs-jpg

Here are a few links, but do your own due diligence.

Nomaco NOMAFLEX Expansion Joint 1/2" x 6" x 10' (Bundle of 10)

concrete expansion joints - Google Search

CONFORM EXPANSION JOINTS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B

Doug

Those look pretty cool. I'd like to see what they would look like with a binding. Maybe too much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    Hope the pictures help. I was actually surprised how easy and cheap it was to get it done, I understand why Doug was able to retire so soon
    Remember that most f-holes are different, each pair needs to be made to match the guitar.

User Info Menu

I'm friends with Victor Baker and just reached out to see if he's still making the plugs and if he makes them for other brands of instruments (other than his own). I'll post back when I hear back from him.

User Info Menu

Remember that most f-holes are different, each pair needs to be made to match the guitar.
    I know But it's still fairly cheap/easy to produce once you have the f-holes measurements.

User Info Menu

The pair I made fits all of my L-5 CES Signature guitars.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

The pair I made fits all of my L-5 CES Signature guitars.

Danny W.
    Lucky you DW