The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 70

User Info Menu

I went to Doug's site and he's closed up shop. I need a set of pre-fab f-hole covers. Not interested in tape or other work-arounds. Strictly plug and play. Any alternatives available?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That's too bad, I was getting ready to order a few pairs.

User Info Menu

Flip flops and an exacto knife?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Flip flops and an exacto knife?
    Classy and smelly!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Classy and smelly!
    Whether or not you use new flip-flops is up to you.

BTW, I like their Hawaiian name, "rubbah slippahs"

User Info Menu

Actually, I have a yoga mat here in my classroom and I think that would be perfect.

User Info Menu

this is an opportunity for someone w/ some extra time on their hands.
    I bought my first pair for $50, I think he was charging 60-65 at the end.
    the materials cost very little so if you have a band saw you could make some money if it takes, say 1/2 an hour to crank out a pair.
    even better if your name is Doug

User Info Menu

Get an EVA foam sheet or pad from the stationer's or art and craft supplier's and cut your own. Balsa sheets from an aeromodelling or homebuilt aircraft supplier. You're in the Doug's Plugs business or Wang's Bungs if you prefer the Middle Kingdom version.

User Info Menu

Just go to your music shop and ask for a bung for your F hole . . .

A lot of public libraries now have makerspaces with laser cutters, 3D printers, etc. (My local public library has a Dremel laser cutter which anybody can book a time to use for a project, free of charge if you bring your own materials.) It wouldn't be a difficult project to laser cut or 3D print the covers, and then glue on some foam.

Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    Just go to your music shop and ask for a bung for your F hole . . .
    Right idea, wrong hole.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buduranus2
    Right idea, wrong hole.
    I'm going to resist writing, "that's what she said!"

User Info Menu

My takeaway from this thread is that getting f-hole plugs is a pain in the ass.

User Info Menu

I have some possible boredom coming up later this week with a nasty snowstorm expected...I might actually try this out with said yoga mat. If I do, I'll take pictures of the process...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I'm going to resist writing, "that's what she said!"
    But you did it anyway!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    But you did it anyway!

User Info Menu

A few years ago I did plugs for two archtops because I found Doug's stuff way overpriced (being in Eurpe didn't help). Got some EVA foam, a designer friend of mine did an exact draw of the f-holes and was really lucky in finding a store with a cnc machine that did one-piece jobs (that's the hardest part, at least where I live) and had perfect plugs done for a few euros. Granted, my friend didn't charge me anything, but still not that hard to do.

User Info Menu

As an aside, they fit perfectly but they do change the acoustic tone a lot and, therefore, the plugged in tone (more than I expected). But they do reduce feedback a lot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    As an aside, they fit perfectly but they do change the acoustic tone a lot and, therefore, the plugged in tone (more than I expected). But they do reduce feedback a lot.
    Of course they change the acoustic tone. They are designed specifically for electric use, to prevent feedback. Who would play acoustically and leave them in??? I cannot hear any difference on my 3 guitars with DougsPlugs or without, played electrically. Plus the flat-black color and his perfect sizing makes them almost invisible.

I know Doug and I'm sorry he isn't able to continue this. The way he makes them, individually and by hand, often finding the comparable guitar somewhere and checking the fit by hand, was so laborious and time consuming, I guess he just couldn't keep it up. I'm very happy with the ones I have.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I have some possible boredom coming up later this week with a nasty snowstorm expected...I might actually try this out with said yoga mat. If I do, I'll take pictures of the process...
    Yoga mats are pretty thin... they have no structural integrity (you roll them up)... are you maybe talking about those play mats they use for kids? That fit together like puzzle pieces? Now THOSE might work pretty well, actually... and you can find them pretty cheap. I can't imagine how many tries it would take to perfectly match an f-hole, at least if you want it to look at all professional/not done with a steak knife LOL.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Of course they change the acoustic tone. They are designed specifically for electric use, to prevent feedback. Who would play acoustically and leave them in??? I cannot hear any difference on my 3 guitars with DougsPlugs or without, played electrically. Plus the flat-black color and his perfect sizing makes them almost invisible.

I know Doug and I'm sorry he isn't able to continue this. The way he makes them, individually and by hand, often finding the comparable guitar somewhere and checking the fit by hand, was so laborious and time consuming, I guess he just couldn't keep it up. I'm very happy with the ones I have.
    My pont was the change to the acoustic tone was not subtle at all, I knew it would change but not that much. And, in my case, it did change the tone trough the amp. Not a lot, but a clear difference.

User Info Menu

Years ago I cut a couple of rectangle pieces of foam and stuffed them into my Gibson JS f-holes. They worked great, but they were hard to get in, and even harder to get out.

User Info Menu

I have a pair of Dougs Plugs that the original owner of my 97 ES-175D included in the sale. That guitar never feeds back on any gig I have used it on, and so I have never needed them. He was a fusion player so perhaps he performed at volumes that required them.

If the gig requires the kind of volume where I would need them, I don't need that gig!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I have a pair of Dougs Plugs that the original owner of my 97 ES-175D included in the sale. That guitar never feeds back on any gig I have used it on, and so I have never needed them. He was a fusion player so perhaps he performed at volumes that required them.

If the gig requires the kind of volume where I would need them, I don't need that gig!
    Try to play in a Hammond B-3 organ trio w an L-5 and a Twin Reverb directly behind you and a Leslie next to that. Was a big problem for me constantly palming the strings every night until I got a pair. About the best $50 I ever spent on gear and almost 20 yrs later they look like new.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Try to play in a Hammond B-3 organ trio w an L-5 and a Twin Reverb directly behind you and a Leslie next to that. Was a big problem for me constantly palming the strings every night until I got a pair. About the best $50 I ever spent on gear and almost 20 yrs later they look like new.
    My WESMO L-5 is a feedback nightmare at high volumes. I could use some plugs for that one.