The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 70 of 70

User Info Menu

[edit] I heard back from Victor Baker. He does not make f-hole plugs any longer.
    Last edited by jzucker; 10-11-2022 at 05:20 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just get some foam, glue and an exacto knife

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buduranus2
    Right idea, wrong hole.
    That's what she said!

User Info Menu

Someone must be doing it. Saw Bollenback on Vignola's Guitar Night a week or two ago, and he had what looked like a new Benedetto Bravo with plugs in it. Didn't really need them for that gig, but maybe it's too much trouble to take them out after an organ trio gig. First time I've seen him with the Bravo, it's usually a Bambino with no f holes.

User Info Menu

That's weird considering he was the one who told me plugs didn't work and always had packing tape on his archtops

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Someone must be doing it. Saw Bollenback on Vignola's Guitar Night a week or two ago, and he had what looked like a new Benedetto Bravo with plugs in it. Didn't really need them for that gig, but maybe it's too much trouble to take them out after an organ trio gig. First time I've seen him with the Bravo, it's usually a Bambino with no f holes.

User Info Menu

You'd send him a drawing/outline of your f holes and he'd cut something out of a material like the sole of a flipflop (probably not exactly that). I don't know if he had it flanged to fit in better. Seems to me you could try to do it with an exacto knife, a pair of flip flops and some thought about how to cut a flange into it. Buy size 16 and you might get multiple plugs from each shoe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    You'd send him a drawing/outline of your f holes and he'd cut something out of a material like the sole of a flipflop (probably not exactly that). I don't know if he had it flanged to fit in better. Seems to me you could try to do it with an exacto knife, a pair of flip flops and some thought about how to cut a flange into it. Buy size 16 and you might get multiple plugs from each shoe.
    Already noted earlier.
    But you can buy the high density foam w out going flip flops.
    Doug's plugs consist of an 1/8" thick piece of said foam cut slightly larger than the f hole to prevent it from falling inside and a thick plug mounted underneath cut just small enough to fit in the hole w out falling out.
    Not really rocket science if you have a little time to spare.

User Info Menu

Three hours later, you are tending your wounds and wishing you could just call Doug.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    That's weird considering he was the one who told me plugs didn't work and always had packing tape on his archtops
    Damn, my memory has failed me again. It was Dave Stryker, not Paul Bollenback.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Three hours later, you are tending your wounds and wishing you could just call Doug.
    So true. Doug made enough of these things that he could do it and produce something that worked well, looked nice, and was zero hassle. Home-made plugs always seem to be missing something from the formula! I was the first person to use the plugs some years back--Doug is an acquaintance of mine--and he test-fired several versions on me as he worked out the system combining a tight fit with not dropping through the F-hole into the guitar. I still use the plugs when i play out, which isn't very much anymore.

User Info Menu

I make these if any one is interested on my CNC, American Made.

Carpenter Guitar and Ampworks | Reverb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe
    I make these if any one is interested on my CNC, American Made.

Carpenter Guitar and Ampworks | Reverb
    Hi, i messaged you but didn't hear back...

User Info Menu

Carpenter Guitars Custom F-Hole Anti Feedback Plugs black Carpenter Guitars Custom F-Hole Anti Feedback Plugs black | Reverb
    Attached Images Attached Images Doug's Plugs is out of business. Any alternatives?-screenshot_20230703_100749_reverb-jpg Doug's Plugs is out of business. Any alternatives?-screenshot_20240129_121523_reverb-jpg Doug's Plugs is out of business. Any alternatives?-screenshot_20230703_100726_reverb-jpg Doug's Plugs is out of business. Any alternatives?-screenshot_20230703_100758_reverb-jpg 
    Last edited by AZJoe; 02-03-2024 at 12:49 AM.

User Info Menu

So nice he posted it twice. And the cats are a bonus.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    So nice he posted it twice. And the cats are a bonus.
    agree about the cats being a bonus, but not everyone thinks so.
    I'd consider leaving them out of photos for biz purposes.

User Info Menu

Note to self - many more emojis next time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe
    Carpenter Guitars Custom F-Hole Anti Feedback Plugs black
    That kinda looks like EVA foam, is that what it is? I was warned on another site to check if it didn't interact with nitro finish when I asked about making a soundport plug out of that substance.

Works great for that purpose btw, but I can see why you'd want to cut it on a CNC machine. Hand-cutting works but it's a RPITA to make a nice shape if you're working with the kind of thickness you need for making plugs!

It also looks like you need to be really careful not to push them through the holes with this design, or is there a "ledge" on the top side?

User Info Menu

The ones I've seen have a ledge on top. It makes the f holes look larger than they are. I suppose that might be a feature for some.

User Info Menu

I make them out to a dense but flexible neoprene foam material probably similar to EVA foam. They are 0.5" with a depth of 0.375" and a 0.125" lip so they don't fall into the hole. Made in Arizona in my shop.

User Info Menu

Just a minor suggestion if you're so inclined--try making a pair out of EVA, they tend to have a little smoother look and the edges look sharper, makes for a slicker looking finished product.
    Its part of the reason I like my old set of Dougs Plugs. Again, just a suggestion....