The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 109

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    No doubt. I don't bring the DA's to bar gigs these days, just high paid private events where I can look after the guitar with care. And I carry insurance just in case.
    Yes, that's exactly what I would do as well, but then again I've played some pretty funky joints in my time!

I once did a funk gig in Harlem many years ago (early 80's) where the drummer said "whatever you do, don't go outside without one of us with you!". I was the only white guy in the band- did the gig with a '60 ES 345 and a pre-CBS Deluxe Reverb btw! Those were fun and exciting times.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yeah I had a gig in Detroit at the Masonic Temple, which is a 5000 seat theater. The security said "do not go outside under any circumstances. Don't smoke a cigarette out back or anything. Just go straight to your bus at the end of the show."

It wasn't even a white/black thing. They have equality in Detroit, and are more than happy to kill you regardless of skin color!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzIsGood
    Auction results!

'61 New Yorker sold for 50K in 2011
    JOHN D'ANGELICO

'55 Excel sold for $8295 in 2009
    Sold at auction American Electric Guitar, John D'Angelico, New York, 1955, Model Excel Auction Number 2455 Lot Number 19 | Skinner Auctioneers

'39 Style A owned by Jerry Garcia sold for 25K in 2019
    Bonhams : A D'ANGELICO STYLE A ARCHTOP ACOUSTIC GUITAR OWNED AND PLAYED BY JERRY GARCIA

'55 Electric New Yorker- No Sale with 125K starting bid

1955 D’Angelico New Yorker - Apr 03, 2014 | Guernsey'''s in NY

Comments?
    Old auctions and not really relevant in today's market. I have no interest really in the auctions by these firms and frankly find auction house guitars offensive. These so call "expert" auctions places somehow carry weight in the market and some "guru" from the the firm will come out and give a huge spill about the guitar. Then this "guru" will appear to be some expert class relic finder who has inside knowledge. Then they jack up the price and get a bunch of money for themselves before the guitar is ever in the hands of a real player or at least a serious player learning and growing.

So I think I made it clear and I could go into a further rant with all sorts of foul language on Skinner and the likes. These guys are slick and comfortable and I take any dealer over them in almost any situation. When it gets to be that this is the norm I am going to find other guitars to play that represent the best of jazz, archtops, and sound. These then would be the ordinary Gibson L5's, L7s ( vastly underrated), Guild, and Heritage, as well as handmade guitars by guys who are building guitars for players.

I don't want to see a billionaire businessman who happens to like the guitar but not really play one buy a D'angelico New Yorker of the highest order, and then set it up at his house as some work of art/history exhibit that makes him look like a hip rich guy buying items of value.

Rant over.

User Info Menu

I bought one guitar from an auction (Heritage) and years later found out that they had made a material misrepresentation in the description (They have disclaimers on their sites and invite in person examination, so a legal recourse is questionable). Caveat Emptor applies in a big way buying a guitar from them.

D'Angelico value? It is hard to say. They are worth less than Rudy advertises his for and more than you probably want to pay.

User Info Menu

Right now there is a Blonde cutaway Excel (1960) at archtop.com for 35K

I bet it sells fast.

1960 D'Angelico Excel (I will do a PSA on our for sale section as well)

User Info Menu

I bet it sells fast.

.......But the actual selling price could very well be 'a mystery, hidden in a etc etc etc ' ....

.......And DM's rant ( you're entitled DM ), contained in this thread makes good points, but hey, who among us wouldn't take that foolish billionaire's money if he wanted to throw a couple hundred large our way for that Greco we've been practicing on since day one ?? : )

.......But if anyone wants to perhaps feel better, watch Orson Welles' movie ' F is for Fake '...You'll see the lengths art forgers have gone and continue to go to fool auction houses and the public. They fake the ink, and / or the canvas, make up a story about a Russian Countess, lost during the overthrow of the Czar.....These stories made some of those Guernsey 'Guitar Auction of the Century' provenance stories sound like third grade book reports......" This pre-war Martin was once owned by Neil 'Y', before the top was replaced and the neck and headstock were refinished, etc "......

And the art forgers are successfully conning high buck professionals. Yes a painting isn't a wooden instrument but a crook working his magic couldn't care less. A con that succeeds is the goal.

..Just my two cents.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    .......But the actual selling price could very well be 'a mystery, hidden in a etc etc etc ' ....

.......And DM's rant ( you're entitled DM ), contained in this thread makes good points, but hey, who among us wouldn't take that foolish billionaire's money if he wanted to throw a couple hundred large our way for that Greco we've been practicing on since day one ?? : )

.......But if anyone wants to perhaps feel better, watch Orson Welles' movie ' F is for Fake '...You'll see the lengths art forgers have gone and continue to go to fool auction houses and the public. They fake the ink, and / or the canvas, make up a story about a Russian Countess, lost during the overthrow of the Czar.....These stories made some of those Guernsey 'Guitar Auction of the Century' provenance stories sound like third grade book reports......" This pre-war Martin was once owned by Neil 'Y', before the top was replaced and the neck and headstock were refinished, etc "......

And the art forgers are successfully conning high buck professionals. Yes a painting isn't a wooden instrument but a crook working his magic couldn't care less. A con that succeeds is the goal.

..Just my two cents.....
    Lucky for us, the guitar forgers are probably too busy conjuring up 59 Bursts and Pre-War D-28's (both of which sell for way more than any D'Angelico and for which there is a greater marketplace) for us to be overly concerned. That said, when buying a 35K guitar, prudence does demand having an expert determine authenticity.

I would bet Joe V. is such an expert.

User Info Menu

I bet it sells fast.

It doesn’t get much better than that one.
    Keith

User Info Menu

[QUOTE [They have equality in Detroit, and are more than happy to kill you regardless of skin color!

[QUOTE] I once did a funk gig in Harlem many years ago (early 80's) where the drummer said "whatever you do, don't go outside without one of us with you!". I was the only white guy in the band- did the gig with a '60 ES 345 and a pre-CBS Deluxe Reverb btw! Those were fun and exciting times.[QUOTE]

Guys,

I know it is unintended, however I must say the references above have clear racist connotations. The basic inference is “black people are dangerous and they will kill you and steal your stuff”. As a person of African descent I hear and see a lot of similar discussions and it is a drag. Again, I know it is unintentional, and is generally not recognized except by [millions] of people like me. Please think about it.

Switching gears, a close guitar friend in the Bay Area had the the foresight to purchase a couple of DA’s years ago - a beautiful Excel and a Style B. Sadly, he passed away about 5 years ago and his 30+ instruments were divvied up among his 3 brothers. The Excel and Style B have been hanging on the wall overlooking the SF Bay for a while. The owner does not not play and they are gathering dust. I can play them at will, but have not inquired regarding purchasing either. I will ask if there is an interest in selling them and if so, I’ll past this information along.

AKA
    Last edited by AKA; 02-16-2022 at 08:40 PM.

User Info Menu

You know, I almost didn't post that comment about Harlem thinking it might be offensive. Please know that it wasn't intended to be that in anyway. I played with a lot of African American players back then, but I don't kid myself that I know what they went through, though we talked about it a lot.

On the other note, I'm sure someone would be interested in hearing about those guitars, including me!

User Info Menu

I still have my Snakehead model D'A from 1935. I brought it to the last meeting we had here of the D'A Club, but COVID was too much for it at 87 years old, and she had to leave because no one had a mask for it.
    I just got three gov't-issued masks from CVS tonight, so I'll try and strap two of them over the F-holes, so she's protected.
    These are made by Honeywell, and have the straps that go around your head, instead of over your ears, so maybe they have a better seal than the KN95's I've been using.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I still have my Snakehead model D'A from 1935. I brought it to the last meeting we had here of the D'A Club, but COVID was too much for it at 87 years old, and she had to leave because no one had a mask for it.
    I just got three gov't-issued masks from CVS tonight, so I'll try and strap two of them over the F-holes, so she's protected.
    These are made by Honeywell, and have the straps that go around your head, instead of over your ears, so maybe they have a better seal than the KN95's I've been using.
    We have some too, but they are too small for my Big Giant Head so I modify the straps for over-ear use.

User Info Menu

hehe that last post reads like the guitar is trying to avoid COVID.

The one on archtop.com is already on hold as you predicted.

35K for what appears to be a highly desirable version (late model with cutaway) actually sheds light on the topic more than browsing Reverb and seeing the ones that sit for years.

User Info Menu

What's this meeting of the DA club? Where do you guys do that?

User Info Menu

I like to know to as we have club here in the middle of the flatlands. My friend down the road has a 37 Excel and we meet sometime so the guitars can visit their siblings. It is really only proper to allow them that right?

User Info Menu

In my driveway, behind the Testarosa.

User Info Menu

Restoration of the 1940 Style B #1467 is all done!

User Info Menu

Gorgeous Chuck -thanks for posting the pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Nice! My first DA was the next to last style A he built and the woods were this figured as well. You don't always see that kind of figure on his lower line models but not unusual. I like that the binding is tinted rather than stark white too.
    Enjoy that one TRM....

User Info Menu

Beautiful, Chuck!

User Info Menu

Some before and after for you.

User Info Menu

did someone paint it red??

User Info Menu

Yes, it appeared to have been done a very long time ago.

User Info Menu

Looks amazing!