The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Does anyone make a light-weight powered speaker? There are all kinds of light-weight combos with Class D and Neo, but I can't seem to find any powered speakers like that. They're all pretty heavy.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Heavy and expensive, too!

These guys get zero press out there (mostly 'cuz they're different), but make a great product: Sonusphere. [and yeah, they're Mose Graphite, the guitar/bass neck makers!]

User Info Menu

Speaker size and power requirement?

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy

These guys get zero press out there (mostly 'cuz they're different), but make a great product: Sonusphere. [and yeah, they're Mose Graphite, the guitar/bass neck makers!]
    Thanks, yeah. Why aren't there more Class D / Neo powered speakers? That one is kinda pricey. For example, my Alto 110 is 27 lbs. Sounds great, but a bit much for my wife to carry. Why not make one Class D with a Neo?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Thanks, yeah. Why aren't there more Class D / Neo powered speakers? That one is kinda pricey. For example, my Alto 110 is 27 lbs. Sounds great, but a bit much for my wife to carry. Why not make one Class D with a Neo?
    Alto TS308 is 20lbs, 2000w peak, 1000w continuous. I only ever use this now.

User Info Menu

What's the intended use?

Powered speakers come from Pro Audio/PA and HiFi pedigree. Weight, no consideration. Frequency response: FRFR. Power to kill the first row. What else separates them from guitar combos is the speaker(s) and the lack of a tone-shaping preamp. You can use a lightweight combo as a powered speaker provided is has a line in or an FX loop, and a reasonably linear speaker.

Alternatively, you can combine a power amp (I'd call it a terminal amp), anything between a Mooer Baby Bomb (30W but loud as hell) and Seymour Duncan Power Stage SD-170, with a lightweight cab. My ultralight TOOB and Metro cabs fit the bill. A Baby Bomb - Metro 6.5FR combination costs apx. 350 USD and weighs under 5 lbs. The 45W Quilter InterBlock also is a great fit. A SD-170 - TOOB 12D combination costs some 800 USD and weighs roughly 12 lbs.
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 01-29-2022 at 03:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Really depends what he wants to do with it. If it's something that requires wide range applications, (drums, bass, keyboards, voice..) using guitar oriented gear is going to give a poor result.
    Unless if it's for home use, to jam with freinds, or a very intimate audience, family and freinds, I wouldn't recommend other than real PA equipment.
    Woody, you should tell us what are the power requirements, and in what applications you will need the speaer? Do you need a mixer, do you need stereo?

User Info Menu

This for instance has got very good reviews, weighs about 15lbs, 7.5 kgs.

Jbl IRX 108 BT class D portable 8 inch speaker with 2 indépendant inputs (line and Xlr)

I'm going to buy one myself for home applications to monitor multitrack recording duties in my living room, without the hassle of a full home studio rig with mixer and stereo monitors. Will just plug the hardware multitrack in the speaker and should be fine.
    They are said to have great sound quality and big power for the weight and size

It also has Bluetooth, which can be convenient for listening to music on the fly when freinds come for a drink.

Very convenient solutions are possible these days.

JBL IRX 108 BT – Thomann France

User Info Menu

I had that same problem, solved with Mambo. Their powered speakers are the sime size and weight as the 10 combo, very small and light. I have two of them, they sound great - can be tilted or attached to stands.

User Info Menu

Has anyone tried one of these?

12" Neo Speaker
    60 Watts (probably Class D amp ?)
    Guitar Center shows $499.00

Light-weight powered speaker?-dv-112-60-pwrspkr-jpg

DV MARK | Products | DV POWERED CAB 112/60

Light-weight powered speaker?-dv-112-60-pwrspkr-specs-jpg

User Info Menu

Interesting. Shame DV Mark releases no data on their speakers. Nothing on the differences within the "dramatically increased" range, except bell cover colors.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    I had that same problem, solved with Mambo. Their powered speakers are the sime size and weight as the 10 combo, very small and light. I have two of them, they sound great - can be tilted or attached to stands.
    Do you have an FRFR or a guitar speaker (eminence beta i suppose?) in your powered Mambo cabinet?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sredna
    Do you have an FRFR or a guitar speaker (eminence beta i suppose?) in your powered Mambo cabinet?
    That's good question, I think it's another Eminence Speaker, with a crossovered concentric tweeter. Mine (two) are note the "mobile pa" you see on the wesbsite, they're like the Mambo 10 but with an XLR and a jack input in the back and the formentioned speaker combination. Not only do they sound great and are light and small, but the jack input accepts "instrument level", not "line level" - which means you can plug directly from your pedals without needing to add massive gain. If you ask Jon, he'll be able to clear all that for you, mine are a few years old, not sure he still makes them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    That's good question, I think it's another Eminence Speaker, with a crossovered concentric tweeter. Mine (two) are note the "mobile pa" you see on the wesbsite, they're like the Mambo 10 but with an XLR and a jack input in the back and the formentioned speaker combination. Not only do they sound great and are light and small, but the jack input accepts "instrument level", not "line level" - which means you can plug directly from your pedals without needing to add massive gain. If you ask Jon, he'll be able to clear all that for you, mine are a few years old, not sure he still makes them.
    Thanks, that was very helpful! I'll speak to Jon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    For example, my Alto 110 is 27 lbs. Sounds great, but a bit much for my wife to carry.
    Not a direct answer but this may be a solution:

Access to this page has been denied.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy

Wow... that is seriously on my, “when I have money again, purchase list”.