The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Same guitar, same amp, same settings, Same passage, different cab, different speaker. About 30 seconds of each. Any preference?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Black cab for me, more forgiving of finger noises but still perfectly clear.

User Info Menu

Black (i.e. the latter sample); a bit drier and less boomy on the bass side. More balanced.

User Info Menu

The black cab might be less brilliant in tone but it has a rather dominant midrange presence that I would find unpleasant after a (short) while. To me it sounds quite colored.
    It's one thing to judge a set of different speakers with the same signal chain but since you have :

a) a tone control on your guitar
    b) an EQ on your amp
    c) the ability to find the sweet spot for the mic in front of the cab
    d) maybe a different mic

so there are many options to fine-tune the end-result.
    Last-but-not-least : do the same test with a couple of mics 3 to 6 feet away from the cab - you'll hear a totally different sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    The black cab might be less brilliant in tone but it has a rather dominant midrange presence that I would find unpleasant after a (short) while. To me it sounds quite colored.
    It's one thing to judge a set of different speakers with the same signal chain but since you have :

a) a tone control on your guitar
    b) an EQ on your amp
    c) the ability to find the sweet spot for the mic in front of the cab
    d) maybe a different mic

so there are many options to fine-tune the end-result.
    Last-but-not-least : do the same test with a couple of mics 3 to 6 feet away from the cab - you'll hear a totally different sound.
    Unfortunately I only own one mic. A couple more are high on my future acquisition list.

User Info Menu

I suppose it depends on what your goals are. I thought the first cab was more balanced overall, therefore seeming brighter and more "jangly" and possibly acoustic-sounding; while the second cab sounded muffled in comparison, with apparently stronger bass and mids and much diminished treble.

I preferred the first one. The second one would have sounded at home in a smoky bar in Detroit around 1967.

User Info Menu

I prefer the first one… more substance to the tone… and it sounds more like you, Jim.

User Info Menu

I prefer the first. I'm not an expert, but it seems that both are near to saturate basses...

User Info Menu

I too preferred the first recording

User Info Menu

Jim, are you going to identify the cabs??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Jim, are you going to identify the cabs??
    There's no secret but neither are really significant cabs. The red cab is a hobbyist built offset 1x12 pine cab with a convertible open/closed back and a 16 OHM Celestion Greenback. The black cab is an open back Crate GT112SL with a Celestion GK12-100 speaker. As the name implies, the first one is the hobbyist cab and the Crate is the second. I think hobbyist cab would actually sound pretty good with a more Fender-like speaker.

User Info Menu

I guess it depends which sounds better in person. But either way you have a really nice touch, and tone when I hear your sound bite clips. I’m assuming you play with fingers vs a pick?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    I guess it depends which sounds better in person. But either way you have a really nice touch, and tone when I hear your sound bite clips. I’m assuming you play with fingers vs a pick?
    Thanks. I've been playing fingers only for over 40 years now ... Maybe even 45. (And that's a shock as I do the calculation). My action is very low and my strings are very light. Even on the Mustang that I'm playing here with its 24" scale length, I'm tuned down to Eb. Add it all together and if you don't have a light touch it is going to become very ugly very fast. It's a very easy setup for my left hand and a very difficult one for my right. Like play a guitar with a hair trigger.