The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

Hi all. Promised pics of my new 1964 L7 c. Apologies for upside-down photos. It is pictured both with and without the Rhythm Chief 1000. For comparison, I have included my 1968 L7 c with the floater. I have had the 68 for many years and I love it even with the more narrow nut. I had been looking for an early 60s L7 with the standard 1 11/16 and found this one about two months ago. I was looking for one without a pickup so I could use the 56 RC 1000.
    I had to replace the pickguard on it because the original was badly warped. Never saw one like this. My luthier - Dave Fecca - of Maple Shade, NJ did the set up and installed the new pickguard. It has been well taken care of - even the case is remarkably clean. An L7 c with a RC 1000 = heaven IMHO.
    Attached Images Attached Images My L-7 Heaven-20220114_093038-jpg My L-7 Heaven-20220114_092810-jpg My L-7 Heaven-20220125_144435-jpg My L-7 Heaven-20220125_144521-jpg My L-7 Heaven-20220125_144158-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

looks fabulous Fred, that's one clean peanut! congrats and play it in good health....

User Info Menu

May she inspire your playing for many years to come!

User Info Menu

About the guitarest guitar there is.

User Info Menu

Courtesy rotation just cause they are so damn good looking. Congrats on the new guitar!

My L-7 Heaven-20220125_144158-jpg

User Info Menu

I'd get your luthier to notch the new guard so the p.u. fits better
    just a thought.....

User Info Menu

What beauties! The L7 is the real deal. Congratulations. I have a non-cut that refuses to be intimidated by other archtops. Enjoy.

User Info Menu

Thank You! I am going to try to post some more photos later.

User Info Menu

Thanks. I am still experimenting with the location of the RC. The original pickguard was black. Though it is hard to tell from the photos, but I opted for a tortoiseshell to compliment the top.

User Info Menu

Yes. I agree. I don't what it is about the L7. I have an L5 and JS that I gig with and they are wonderful guitars. But the L7 is just different. It is so light and so accoustically pure. Both of mine are a joy to play. And I have heard other L7 players on this forum say the same thing.

User Info Menu

The perfect pair.

User Info Menu

Superb, they are as rare as Hen's teeth in the UK. Barney's always sounded great to me
    the L7 has a distinctive , pleasing tone, much kudos for owning two.

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitars and I'm sure you'll have many hours of joy playing them

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Superb, they are as rare as Hen's teeth in the UK. Barney's always sounded great to me
    the L7 has a distinctive , pleasing tone, much kudos for owning two.

BK's was an ES-350 S.F.

User Info Menu

Great pair of L-7c's and interesting to see such beautiful examples from the '60's.
    Glad you're happy with them!

I've got a '49 L-7c thats a favorite.

User Info Menu

My first jazz teacher (Bill Bitner) had an L7 and I’ll never forget that sound or how pretty it was.
    Collingswood… used to pass through on the commute from LBI to PHL. There any jazz around there?

User Info Menu

Looks amazing Fred. Well done! Hope you enjoy

User Info Menu

Beautiful! Congratulations on the find

User Info Menu

Awesome twosome Fred. I let my reissue go a couple years ago and sorry I did it. Mine was a different animal having a 1 3/4" nut. Ah the mistakes we make! Congrats on your purchase. If you ever feel the temptation of making the same mistake I did,give me a shout. AG

User Info Menu

I was loaned an L7 with the McCarty pickup rig as I was learning and getting into jazz. The sound and feel has stayed with me for over 50 years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    My first jazz teacher (Bill Bitner) had an L7 and I’ll never forget that sound or how pretty it was.
    Collingswood… used to pass through on the commute from LBI to PHL. There any jazz around there?
    I'm about 10 minutes or so from there, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FredH
    Thanks. I am still experimenting with the location of the RC. The original pickguard was black. Though it is hard to tell from the photos, but I opted for a tortoiseshell to compliment the top.
    I like the tortoise better too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I'd get your luthier to notch the new guard so the p.u. fits better
    just a thought.....
    Easy enough to do it yourself if you have a have a simple grinder or dremel tool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    I was loaned an L7 with the McCarty pickup rig as I was learning and getting into jazz. The sound and feel has stayed with me for over 50 years.
    I played an early 50's blond L7 with a single McCarty pickup in Mandolin Bros. back around '02 or so, and it still haunts me. I had $2k to spend and it was about $4K I think, but it was an instantaneous bonding. Absolutely perfect guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Easy enough to do it yourself if you have a have a simple grinder or dremel tool.
    I agree. I have used De’Armond pickups for many years and in my experience, the high e string will typically sound weak when the pickup is in the position shown in the picture. The strings will be more balanced if the pickguard is notched enough to allow the red insert to be fully under the high e string. It will also look better.
    Keith