The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

w/some other guy on drums I'm guessing it belonged to a guitarist in the studio.
    that looks like a real DA, not a Code or United body that John was attaching his necks to in the late 50s

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow, it has a curly maple top and what looks like a master volume. I wonder what those pickups are.

User Info Menu

It's got set-in pickups and controls with a flame maple top. Likely not a carved D'A, although it has the variable width binding characteristic of his carved tops with cutaway (he used the same top templates for cut and none-cut guitars).

I've seen a few w carved maple tops
    Back in the day Mandolin Brothers had an Excel.
    Now that I think about it the few real ones I've seen were all carved maple, I'm not aware of any laminate or pressed top John made, maybe someone else knows differently.

User Info Menu

For D'Angelico's "electric" guitars, my understanding is that he bought premade bodies and put his necks on them. I have read that those guitars were not entered in the famous ledger. Jimmy D did something similar, eventually getting top and back plates made by Roger Borys, I believe.

All of the carved D'Angelico guitars I have seen pictures of, since I've never seen one in person, had spruce tops with maple back and sides. I suppose that doesn't mean he never made a carved guitar with a maple top, if requested by the customer. Thus I assumed that this guitar, with its flamed maple top and inset pickups and controls, was a laminate with a D'A carved neck.

Oh no, as I said in my orig post this isn't a cheap lam sourced body he attached one of his necks to which were provided by companies like Code and United that one typically sees w pickups. Those are the ones not listed in the ledgers.
    They didn't typically have pearl inlaid ebony bridges,, skyscraper pearl truss rod covers and multiply bindings like this guitar.
    Also the f hole shape is a big giveaway. Those slender shaped holes are consistent w his carved spruce top guitars of the late 50s early 60s as opposed to the Gibson style f holes of the Code and United bodies. As I mentioned I've seen a few examples of these and they were all carved flame maple tops, the only difference between them and a typical spruce topped DA besides the electronics.

User Info Menu

Pickups look like De Armond Dynasonics to me, like mostly applied on a Gretsch. Strange combination if you put those on a carved solid archtop.

User Info Menu

Has anyone here ever actually played carved maple archtop? I know Peerless makes at least one. Care to share your thoughts on how it compares to carved spruce or laminate maple?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Has anyone here ever actually played carved maple archtop? I know Peerless makes at least one. Care to share your thoughts on how it compares to carved spruce or laminate maple?
    I play a carved maple Heritage 575. It's not much, acoustically...has sort of a pleasant, dark, mellow sound, very little volume. Plugged in, it sounds great. It's very feedback resistant, I think that comes from the top being rather thick and not particularly resonant. I think it sustains differently than a laminated archtop, it has a little bit of thunk on the basses, but the trebles sustain more than on say, a 175.

User Info Menu

The drummer in the photo is none other than Cassius Clay later to be known as Muhamed Ali.

Big

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crm114

The drummer in the photo is none other than Cassius Clay later to be known as Muhamed Ali.
    I think the OP knew that and was joking around. Note the smiley.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I play a carved maple Heritage 575. It's not much, acoustically...has sort of a pleasant, dark, mellow sound, very little volume. Plugged in, it sounds great. It's very feedback resistant, I think that comes from the top being rather thick and not particularly resonant. I think it sustains differently than a laminated archtop, it has a little bit of thunk on the basses, but the trebles sustain more than on say, a 175.
    Nice tone and playing.

User Info Menu

Hey Woody
    ha ha Ha being the resident Mr. Magoo here I didn’t see that at first
    and I’m a child of the 60s l, anytime I see Muhammad Ali clowning it with somebody I just remember him kicking ass in the ring in the Olympics and then going pro. I’ve seen poster shops and stores with musical memorabilia that have photos of Muhammad in the ring with the young Beatles and them on the floor splayed out like they he just knocked all of them out with one punch
    Those were poignant times.

Big

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I think the OP knew that and was joking around. Note the smiley.

Hey Woody
    ha ha Ha being the resident Mr. Magoo here I didn’t see that at first
    and I’m a child of the 60s l, anytime I see Muhammad Ali clowning it with somebody I just remember him kicking ass in the ring in the Olympics and then going pro. I’ve seen poster shops and stores with musical memorabilia that have photos of Muhammad in the ring with the young Beatles and them on the floor splayed out like they he just knocked all of them out with one punch
    Those were poignant times.

Big

User Info Menu

yeah WM !!!
    That’s the one !!

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon

User Info Menu

Sam Cooke w electric D'Angelico-16462921_10154191633257401_8991256626210538219_o-jpg

These two photos of Sam Cooke holding a D'Angelico come from the recording session for Muhammed Ali's single 'The Gang's All Here' on 3 March 1964.
    Tumblr

User Info Menu

Like I said those were poignant times and I look at that picture and I can envision them singing or of Sam’s hits

A Change Is Gonna Come

User Info Menu

Like I said those were poignant times and I look at that picture and I can envision them singing or of Sam’s hits

A Change Is Gonna Come

One of the, or maybe THE, best vocal performances in music history.

User Info Menu

Just for fun, here's a thread on electric D'As that I posted some years back:
    Vintage D'Angelico electrics

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by customxke
    Just for fun, here's a thread on electric D'As that I posted some years back:
    Vintage D'Angelico electrics
    Great thread, cusomxke!