The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Been doing a lot of theatre shows that call for doubling on jazz banjo. "Hello Dolly," "42nd Street," "Bullets Over Broadway" etc. I bought this Schatten pickup system to install in my vintage Richelieu long scale plectrum, it sounds GREAT. A little transducer attaches to the underside of the skin right under the bridge, with onboard vol control and 1/4" out. See the control/out at the bottom right on the rim. I plug my wireless into it (2nd pic) and away you go!

BJ-02 Pro - Banjo Pickup with NBJAplus Jack Assembly — Schatten Pickups

Slightly OT, amp'd banjo-banjo1-jpg

Slightly OT, amp'd banjo-banjo2-jpg

Just for fun, the back of this amazing banjo:

Slightly OT, amp'd banjo-banjo3-jpg
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 01-23-2022 at 09:06 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Through which amp are you playing? My modest experience suggests that a small speaker reacts faster and sounds more banjo-like than, say, a 12" rig. The only good use I found for my erstwhile ZT Lunchbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Through which amp are you playing? My modest experience suggests that a small speaker reacts faster and sounds more banjo-like than, say, a 12" rig. The only good use I found for my erstwhile ZT Lunchbox.
    Most good full-range (with tweeter) amps sound great, I use either the Bud or for the best sound, the Genzler. Of course the banjo is usually loud enough on its own acoustically, the amp just adds extra support and "depth" to mix with the orchestra.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 01-23-2022 at 09:13 AM.

User Info Menu

Nice Banjo ! I have an OME Plectrum Banjo and have had good results with a Meyers Pickups "The Feather" that also clips to the rim, preamp to the strap.

Where did you find the pick-holder ? Been looking for one ....

User Info Menu

That OME is a killer looking banjo !!

A couple of years ago I used a 1977 Ibanez Artist plectrum banjo in a bigband setting as well for only a couple of tunes. Easy Street was one of them. What I did was tuning the banjo like the bass side of a guitar and lower the pitch to D, so
    DGCF and played shell chords as if it was a guitar. I also amplified my banjo and used a Gold Tone SMP pickup, that I mounted on the rod. Every amp that I plugged it into, sounded good enough. I have not used it for years now, it rests in the case. May be I have to dig it up soon and do some dusting..

Slightly OT, amp'd banjo-1977-ibanez-artist-2625054-jpg

User Info Menu

Mine is a Fender Artist Plectrum from early -70s, bought from Elderly (overtightened skin, overtones all over.) I'm a poor learner so I use Chicago tuning, i.e. the guitar's top four strings. This one's loud enough for my old boys' band. I had a Barcus-Berry sticker PU thing on an earlier banjo but preferred playing the occasional solos through an SM58. Drooled over an OME at Matt Umanov's in NY roughly a decade ago but all the engravings put it solidly on the wrong side of my tourist's budget limit. Same for a great L-7, which fortunately had the deal-breaking V-neck.
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 01-24-2022 at 07:03 AM.

User Info Menu

Hmm. I play tenor in a large trad jazz band (“The Big Loud Band”) with 9 horns, and once I found the right instrument, I’ve had no problem with volume. Of course we don’t often play venues with more than a few hundred people. But I’ve been thinking about how to amplify it - just in case - and will give this a try.

steven

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    Nice Banjo ! I have an OME Plectrum Banjo and have had good results with a Meyers Pickups "The Feather" that also clips to the rim, preamp to the strap.

Nice! Which model OME? The pick holder was on the banjo when I bought it. And as you can see, the original adjustable mute.

Those Ibanez Artists are a great bargain.

User Info Menu

Nice! I've used this inexpensive KNA BP-1 Portable Piezo Banjo Pickup with decent results thru my Bud 6:
    Slightly OT, amp'd banjo-kna-bandzho_2019_07_11_0029-jpg
    Last edited by Tom Karol; 01-24-2022 at 02:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Nice! Which model OME? The pick holder was on the banjo when I bought it. And as you can see, the original adjustable mute.
    OME Monarch if I‘m not mistaken…. could be a mongret though because they didn’t offer a Monarch with a mahogany neck/resonator- no biggie, it plays and sounds great. Got the Oettinger copy tailpiece from a fellow in GB, he makes those, big improvement.
    Attached Images Attached Images Slightly OT, amp'd banjo-80eb804f-c3ad-4ff3-9f67-50c00566a297-jpeg 

That OME is gorgeous!

User Info Menu

As long as we are showing banjo photos, here’s mine.

Slightly OT, amp'd banjo-7b43b63b-bcde-407d-bfac-89ceb2a5292a-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman

Bill Camp banjos lists 2 Grovers in stock:

Miscellaneous Banjo Parts

There’s a Richelieu on Reverb, too.

User Info Menu

A fancy schmanzty Bacon, hmmmm ….?

Quote Originally Posted by stevo58
    As long as we are showing banjo photos, here’s mine.
    Awesome B&D!

User Info Menu

Actually, not a B&D. Built to my specs by Karsten Schnoor of Hamburg. Mixture of Style 1 and Style 5. With some modern features like co-rods and an adjustable truss rod. It’s a wonderful instrument, Karsten is top shelf. It’s as loud as I want it to be, the highs are smooth and not penetrating, for the first time I don’t have to struggle to get the tone I want, and can concentrate on the playing.

Here’s the back. Unfortunately this shot doesn’t cover the peghead, where an art deco beauty does her dance:

Slightly OT, amp'd banjo-4e51beeb-3f5a-406f-8dfc-dbf906bc4c50-jpeg