The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 39 of 39

User Info Menu

Just want to add that if it were not for basket-case guitars, I'd never have had a guitar in the first place. A Kent with non-working electronics was nothing compared with this mess, but you should've seen the '69 Les Paul Custom that replaced it! It was not merely damaged, it was mutilated.* I cannot conceive why someone would inflict on that guitar the damage they did - I guess once the headstock went nothing mattered anymore. I did what i could with it, and even eventually bribed a real luthier to re-fret the poor thing (those fret-less wonder "frets" were a threat to navigation when they were new, let alone after years of abuse). I played it for years ( it looked pretty good from a distance, it was only behind it you could see the knuckle-biting scars and the horror story they told). It is now my grandson's, and still making music.

* Adding a Bigsby ineptly to it was just the beginning of the insults and injuries this guitar would suffer, before we rescued it.
    Last edited by citizenk74; 01-26-2022 at 02:01 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm sure you could buff that right out and nobody would ever be able to tell.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I thought of that deacon but seeing as how it was done so poorly to begin with it's probably not going to be easy to undo what's been done and get a solid repair. not impossible but......
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Just curious if you'd do it and if it'd be undetectable when you're done.
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Splines, lots of them, and some expensive refinishing. I've shelled out for lesser instruments.
    I've bought disasters like this, and it's always been for the personal challenge. . . cutting off the peghead veneer and crafting a new peghead with a V join . . . I would NOT pay more than a grand for a bag of disasters like this and I would graciously pass the work to someone else, especially if I want my time to be spent furthering my own lutherie projects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    All your comments are true, but given the price of Super 400s on the used market, and the fact there are always people with more money than sense, it might be “worth it” for some well-healed buyer to think he got a bargain and pay someone else to fix it up. . . .These guitars always get sold to someone in the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    My thought was simply replace the entire neck! Headstock and all!
    SkyKo in for the win.

If you want it to be undetectable you pull the front peghead veneer, slice the back of the peghead into a veneer (or use accurate serial-number punches) and re-neck it. (You might save the fingerboard. You might save the truss. You might save the binding. It might look cleaner if you just do it over from scratch.)

Who does that? A Les Paul re-manufacturer like Historic Makeovers, whose bread-and-butter is to turn 2019 Les Pauls into convincing "1959 Les Paul 'bursts." This is a fairly easy job for them -- no need for a convincing 63-year-old reliced paint-job; the customer wants it un-dented.

Because at some price-point somebody will pay $x,xxx.xx but this S-400 and they will want it to be worth $xx,xxx when they go to sell it. And they'll be honest, fully disclosing that it has a replacement neck. But their buyer or that one's buyer . . . somewhere down the line, that fact will get lost in the shuffle, and it never happened.

User Info Menu

I think something funky is going on with this auction. I reached out to the seller and asked a few simple questions. He dodged answering them.
    Also, his ebay info says he's in N.C. and this auction says it ships from Pennsylvania. The screws are probably there because the repair failed.
    It's hard to tell for sure, but it looks like the heel may be cracked too.
    Last edited by guitarcarver; 01-22-2022 at 01:32 AM.

I got an offer of $4500 from the seller, but I had no interest, but someone just snagged it.
    anyone here?

Update 1/26 see original post

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Before I saw the pics this seemed like a very good deal, not that I'm interested
    Is that a couple screws holding the headstock on?
    Don't try this @ home folks....

Update 1/26:
    This guitar w the same pics and description was sold on eBay yesterday in the Phila area. Now it's for sale on Reverb at a significantly reduced price in Utah. I'd advise to proceed w caution if interested in purchasing, something stinks on ice here...

Update #2. Sold again, hope no one got ripped off

Gibson Super 400 Ces With Case | Naima's Boutique | Reverb

Gibson Super 400 Ces With Case | eBay
    This is some sort of shenanigans. The original eBay ad and the later Reverb ad have almost the exact same wording, including the same mistaken use of "effect" instead of "affect" and "I want a player to enjoy this classic guitar as long as I have enjoyed it", as well the same photos. I doubt there were real sales from either listing. I'm not sure what the actual scam is, but I have no doubt there is a scam of some sort going on.

User Info Menu

One review for one transaction and it was on 1/22. What could go wrong?

User Info Menu

Naima's Boutique, in Belgium? Sounds like a house of ill repute.
    Wow.
    And, it's down to almost $3K.

User Info Menu

And it got from Pennsylvania to Belgium in a day.

User Info Menu

So I've been wondering why everyone is talking about that neck as the only problem.
    That body has been wrenched and torqued by the neck and that has caused a grain split in the top from the edge of the neck block into the body, which 1) is very tricky to cleat and repair properly and 2) is just one unmentioned and ostensibly unnoticed indication that there is MUCH more amiss with this gem than you can possibly know from the ad.

I'll tell you right now, this is not normal:
    DIY Reptile Dentistry (Update 1/26!)-screen-shot-2022-01-26-3-28-40-pm-png

So I've been wondering why everyone is talking about that neck as the only problem.
    That body has been wrenched and torqued by the neck and that has caused a grain split in the top from the edge of the neck block into the body, which 1) is very tricky to cleat and repair properly and 2) is just one unmentioned and ostensibly unnoticed indication that there is MUCH more amiss with this gem than you can possibly know from the ad.

I'll tell you right now, this is not normal:
    DIY Reptile Dentistry (Update 1/26!)-screen-shot-2022-01-26-3-28-40-pm-png

mentioned in post #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara

However, while he (presumably "he" anyway) mentions the minor repair in passing, he doesn't mention the apparent crack in the top in the bass side upper bout by the fingerboard...
    Cunamara, great call. I guess the paucity of discussion regarding this one means a top crack at the neck join isn't a big deal, right?

Cunamara, great call. I guess the paucity of discussion regarding this one means a top crack at the neck join isn't a big deal, right?

no, it probably means only a few people caught it