The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Anyone ever hear of him? They're certainly beautiful.

Koentopp Guitars - Hand Made Guitars by Luthier Dan Koentopp

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes, his work becomes more and more visible now that he's moved to the west coast. A rising star ....
    : My Koentopp “Chicagoan”, by Bobby Broom

User Info Menu

There's some videos of Julian Lage hanging out, playing a few of his guitars...they sound as good as they look, imho.

I think Dan's guitars might be the current pinnacle of form and function when it comes to acoustic archtops...a guitar like his doesn't really fit into my lifestyle, but if a bunch of money fell out of the sky, I'd make room

User Info Menu

I have been following Dan on social media for several years, and he is certainly building some really special guitars. Beyond anything I could ever want or need, but like Mr. B, I wouldn't kick one out of my home if it showed up. It's great to see people like Dan and Bryant elevating the traditional archtop form. They keep pushing and it's evident the work is paying off.

User Info Menu

Oh yeah - Dan's a cool Chicago cat [now LA] making beautiful guitars! Thanks for the post!

Meanwhile, back in Chicago:

User Info Menu

Andy Brown sometimes plays his Koentopp, usually with Don Stiernberg, but sometimes in other situations. There are a number of YouTube videos with him playing it. If you search for Don Stiernberg Trio you should easily find them, also on Andy's channel. It's a different sound than Andy's Tal, unsurprisingly - much more acoustic sounding.

User Info Menu

Impressive.

User Info Menu

There's got to be more archtop luthiers today than ever before. Fantastic, well-trained craftsmen, with access to all the knowledge there is and tonewoods from the world over. Yet, no-one holds the recipe for the Holy Grail, because none such exists. And once they're gone, the brand is gone. Alas, a factory-made Gibson holds it value better. I stand corrected.