The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 92 of 92

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Esport
    Some great looking 335/345 boxes! I never bonded with the walnut Norlin skinny neck 345 I had so it went up north in a trade for a different Gibson. If it would’ve had a 1 11/16 nut, a refret and better string spacing it might still be with me. It was a beauty.
    I always liked the walnut. See mine leaning against the firewood. In the post above.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    Triple Nickel

Oh man, that is to die for.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xuoham
    Uuh, all those beauties ! Waiting for pics of a dark brown specimen with block inlays and trapeze tailpiece ... mmm ...
    Check out the picture I just posted of BB King. Pretty snazzy 70's peach suit, too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapthatplank
    This is my MIJ Tokai ES. It has a slightly narrower nut but a nice girthy neck and sounds perfect. I've replaced the pickups with OX4's and all the hardware has been replaced as well. It's just like a '59 imho, but only cost me ~$1600 all in.

Attachment 88226

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Check out the picture I just posted of BB King. Pretty snazzy 70's peach suit, too.
    Yep, classy !

here's another shot of mine with Calton Case.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapthatplank
    This is my MIJ Tokai ES. It has a slightly narrower nut but a nice girthy neck and sounds perfect. I've replaced the pickups with OX4's and all the hardware has been replaced as well. It's just like a '59 imho, but only cost me ~$1600 all in.

Attachment 88226
    Birds of a feather. I think that here in the EU where MIA and MIJ are both imports, MIJ Tokais offer quality comparable to the production line Gibsons at competitive prices. At least LP and ES styles, I've never seen one of their MIJ hollowbodies.

Share your ES-335-tokai-png

User Info Menu

Great story.

An old time friend now long gone played a Strat style git. He was odd in the sense that many or even most of his fave players used a 335. I never got that :-)

For me the 335 body style (including the Gibson 33x series as well as other brands) is ideal. The "problem" I have with Gibson is their propensity to change factory installed pickups on a whim diluting what I expect from a 335 and that's the 57 Classic sound.

As it is, my fave 335 is my 2000 wounded black 335. One day I'll get around to changing the shrill burstbuckers from my natural 335 and I'll likely play it more then.

Share your ES-335-blonde_black_335s-jpg

User Info Menu

I'll bite:
    Share your ES-335-335hs-jpgShare your ES-335-335long-jpgShare your ES-335-335back-jpg

User Info Menu

Funny story: I felt like I was beating the snot out of my 1957 ES-225, so I thought I'd find something like it to play. I lucked out on getting a great price on this Memphis 335 in Walnut.

The 225:

The 335:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Just Fred
    Funny story: I felt like I was beating the snot out of my 1957 ES-225, so I thought I'd find something like it to play. I lucked out on getting a great price on this Memphis 335 in Walnut.

The 225:

The 335:

Are they even comparable? Totally different beasts I would think? An ES-330 comes closer to the ES-225 in my mind?

User Info Menu

I always wondered why they switched from the cool "mickey mouse" ears to the more pointed versions. Easier m'facring?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I really regret selling this guitar many years ago. Maybe I'll have to change my handle to "nevershouldhavesoldit2."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sbeishline
    I'll bite:
    Share your ES-335-335hs-jpgShare your ES-335-335long-jpgShare your ES-335-335back-jpg

Lovely !!

User Info Menu

My (approximately) 22 year old Epi Dot. Bone nut, Duncan 59 in the neck, Seth Lover in the bridge, upgraded bridge that I liberated from a Rev Jetstream. Love the hollow, woody sound. It suits me to a tee:

Share your ES-335-f09b6f95-b54b-4ec3-9aba-e0d1466f4b29-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by darkwaters
    My (approximately) 22 year old Epi Dot. Bone nut, Duncan 59 in the neck, Seth Lover in the bridge, upgraded bridge that I liberated from a Rev Jetstream. Love the hollow, woody sound. It suits me to a tee:

Share your ES-335-f09b6f95-b54b-4ec3-9aba-e0d1466f4b29-jpeg
    Lovely! I think this guitar deserves to have a touch of extra class added: replace the chrome pickup frame screws with black ones. Looks so much better (if you care for such a thing…… ;-) )

User Info Menu

I think my old Sheraton deserves to be in here as well:

Bought used in ‘94, no idea how old she was at the time. No serial anywhere, so I suspect an early 90ies Samick production since those had the serials on little stickers that easily fell off.

She has served me well for many years and was my first more jazzy guitar after playing a Strat for some years. Still a comfortable, stable and functional instrument but I have to admit my ES-333 feels and sounds better and has my preference.