The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 92
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie2
    So sorry for you loss OP. Cherish that guitar, what an amazing gift from his family.

I will add my 335 to the mix. It's also a Memphis from 2014 with a figured top thats very subtle in this lighting

Attachment 88052
    Attachment 88051
    thanks for the kind words, such a beautiful guitar!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Heritage 535? Yes or no?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Pay close attention to quality and price. Get a good one for cheap, not a bad one for expensive.

Other than that, go for red. You don't have a red guitar yet.
    That’s a really good point.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    hmmm...Just for a counterpoint. I hate the modern treble bleed circuits. Yes, they do give you brightness as you turn the volume down but to me, it's not done in a way that sounds like what I'm used to hearing in jazz, blues or rock recordings. What happens is that when you turn the guitar volume down, the high end jumps across the capacitor but not the low end so (to me) it ends up sounding plinky and thin. I like the original circuits. If you want to turn down and not lose the top end response, you'll get much better results using an active volume pedal like this:

This doesn't lose any treble when you back it off. They are expensive but maintain your guitar tone without sounding plinky.

I agree about the treble circuit, the '50's wiring scheme doesn't do this, you lower the volume and the tone barely changes, in other words you don't lose all of your highs. Conversely, with that wiring when you turn down the tone you do lose some volume. Far better IMHO. And I did this on my reissue LP, it works fine on modern guitars. Yes, the newer pots aren't the same as the old Centralabs, those pots were great, and I believe also fell off pretty quickly, which is what guys like Page etc liked, a simple touch to get to rhythm volume. rather than a gradual turn-down to the middle of the range, which might be more what jazz folk would want. I kind of like that taper for jazz as well, but prefer the Centralab style for rock etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Heritage 535? Yes or no?
    That's for you to decide. Having had both, IMO they sound different from each other. The 535 is just as well made as the 335, perhaps even better. And it tends to be much cheaper s/h. The aesthetiocs are obviously different; the Heritage didn't come in cherry .. I'd say that the 535 I had sounded woodier and softer than most of my 335s; but that info's about as reliable as any other sample of one...

As a price guide, my vgc 535 sold last year for £1900 after a few months - they don't exactly jump off the shelves, in the UK at least.

If seriously considering a Heritage, make sure the truss rod works first. Especially with 12s or over. Scratch that; who'd use 12s on a 335, what was i thinking. It'll be fine with 10s..

User Info Menu

10s? I can’t play tens. I cant. Especially not on that scale length. Nooo. Horrible twangy rubbery things.

(it is one of the many reasons why I can’t impress anyone at a guitar shop.)

Red Gibson it is.

User Info Menu

Heritage or Gibson?

Share your ES-335-semihollow-jpg

Okay, it's pretty obvious to the well-trained giteye, I guess, but it begs the question: If the room is dark enough, can you hear a difference?

User Info Menu

Triple Nickel

User Info Menu

10s? I can’t play tens. I cant. Especially not on that scale length. Nooo. Horrible twangy rubbery things.

Red Gibson it is.
    Soon to be followed by a white Strat ...

User Info Menu

I've never owned an ES-335 since they were too expensive. I hope to own one this year.

Here's my historical list of my favorite semi-hollow gits:

Ibanez 2630
    Ibanez LR10
    Ibanez JSM100
    Heritage H-535
    Heritage H-555

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Soon to be followed by a white Strat ...
    Actually I was thinking a blue Charvel

Otoh - light strings….

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by maplebaby
    something about black that just remains classic, timeless! Thx for sharing.
    I have a 2011 Nashville built black 59 VOS 335. I’ll look for pics.

There was some discussion re Nashville vs Memphis attributes. Not sure if there is much of a difference.

Got mine used from a CL listing and drove about 1.5 hrs through a bad rain storm into NYC for it.

That Chicago Music Exchange sale a few years back was tempting. I always wanted a natural finish 335. Hind sight being 20 20 etc etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    I've never owned an ES-335 since they were too expensive. I hope to own one this year.

Here's my historical list of my favorite semi-hollow gits:

Ibanez 2630
    Ibanez LR10
    Ibanez JSM100
    Heritage H-535
    Heritage H-555
    The H535 is excellent. Another of my CL deals is a H 535 Special. A 2 hr trip to CT for that one. A special run from Wolfe Music. It hangs well with the Gibbie.

User Info Menu

Red Gibson it is.
    My storied '64 ES-345, a closet queen, came to me with Gibson Flatwounds in a 0.012 size and the hang tags. Over the years she wore many sizes of strings, and are at present sporting 0.011s from D'Adarrio. Jazz-Class strings are not a problem!
    Last edited by citizenk74; 01-22-2022 at 05:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Otoh - light strings….
    Rome gives you special dispensation to use 11's on a widdly-diddly stick. But just you.

User Info Menu

Otoh - light strings….
    May I recommend a Hammertone Special? My Sherwood Green Partscaster is by far the best Strat I have owned, and a definite keeper. A veritable Emerald Enchantress. See my recent NG&AD thread for pics and details.

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    Triple Nickel

stunning!

User Info Menu

Uuh, all those beauties ! Waiting for pics of a dark brown specimen with block inlays and trapeze tailpiece ... mmm ...

If i would have to have only one guitar, it would definitely be a ES335 type.

Here is my 1966 ES-335 TD, traded with a good friend in 1990 for an Akai S950 sampler, which is probably worth $50 by now !
    At that time samplers were the bomb and we had the mutual feeling that this was a good trade, lol ...
    Friend in question was jonesing for a super strat-floyd rose type guitar from James Trussard, only to bitterly regret years after and getting
    a super nice Jacobacci ES-335 type in walnut color, which gave my (... our, lol) Gibson an epic ride for the money.

This ES-335 has well lived (it blushed when it saw how pristine most of the vintage are on this thread) , as you can see, and the finish is thouroughly "check-mate", mainly because it had one very long NYC freezing winter of rehearsals and i was so broke that in order to save money, instead of the train, i walked at least twice a week for 30mn to/30mn from the super heated studio.
    At that time i had no clue about temperature shocks and finish... but i like it ! The smartphone crappy photos don't do it justice, by far.
    The back of the neck looks dreadful in pictures but it is smooth.
    It also had its load of sweaty NYC summers.
    Then, reaching late thirties i began to be, at last, "care conscious", lol.

Tons of mojo, great acoustic sound, and ... the dreaded narrow neck at the nut. But i got used to it.
    On the other hand, i always disliked the Gibson string spacing at the bridge, but fortunately Schaller makes the STM bridge, which lets you adjust the string spacing.
    So 55mm for me, matched with Fender spacing and most acoustic guitars.
    The spot near the neck volume seems like a clue that it originally had a bigsby, but it was gone when i got the guitar.
    The case was full of NYC stickers from Manny's etc ... funny omen because years later i moved from Paris France to go live in NYC.

On a side note, i also have a 2016 Epiphone ES-335 Pro (with Alnico pro PUs) and while not having that mojo and feel of my Gibson it is a really
    good and well made guitar that plays great, sounds more than decent, regardless the inexpensive price.
    A few years now that Epi China have really upped their standards.

Share your ES-335-dsc_2574-jpgShare your ES-335-dsc_2575-jpgShare your ES-335-dsc_2577-jpgShare your ES-335-dsc_2576-jpgShare your ES-335-dsc_2584-jpgShare your ES-335-dsc_2583-jpg
    Last edited by xuoham; 01-23-2022 at 05:03 AM. Reason: typotypotypotypos

User Info Menu

Bought one on CL a couple of weeks ago. Great condition. $2K. An OK deal in today's market. When did these start running so close to $3K? My first 335. Not my first semi. It came without a pickguard. So..

- Why are pickguards slanted on 335's? Seems flat would make more sense.

- How do you know if you need a 'long' or 'short' pickguard? I have a 93 Dot. Pictures made me think it's a short so that's what I bought. But it's too wide and screw hole doesn't line up. Though, I do have a belt sander and drill press and it's just a hunk of plastic.

- Pickguard bracket comes in different heights. As far as I can tell, whatever you purchase for a bracket, it's the other one you need.

I have a D'Angelico EX-SS which I like. Wish the headstock was less artsy. I have a Heritage 535 I never play. Neck is a bit slim though the varitone switches are cool and it is a good sounding guitar. Seems the neck is slim on the 93 Dot 335 as well but feels better for some reason. Liking it so far.

It's just a plain'ish but with little bit of figure 93 Dot in tobacco burst. Will get pictures when I get the pickguard figured out.

User Info Menu

$2000 seems like a steal!

I would like one, but no room for more guitars. I had a nice-looking natural Epi Dot years ago, but that didn’t really scratch my itch. The ergonomics don’t work for me as well as the 135.

My fiancée’s BIL has a ‘64 335 TD—Cherry Red, with a Bigsby—which he tried to sell on consignment through Willie’s in St. Paul a few years ago. He was asking $15K, but didn’t even get any offers. He bought it new in ‘64.

Looking on Reverb, the prices for early ‘60’s 335s are stratospheric. I bet he could get almost twice that if he wanted to, but he got second thoughts and is hanging on to it.

User Info Menu

Almost all my Gibsons are from the 1990s. Nothing particular, just that is when I bought them and I am familiar with the quality of that time period. Therefore when it came time to get an ES335 I went with one from the 1990s. This one is 1998. I got it off Craig's list so I expected to do some work. It required poish of the paint, new hardware as the existing nickle was tarnished, and new electronics. The existing pots and wiring were all buggered so they needed replacement. I also put a capacitor on the volume pots for fun. The pickups were fine, I just replaced the covers with new ones.
    What I like about this particular guitar is the neck. It has jumbo frets and is very thin. One of the best necks on any of my multiple Gibsons. It is a real keeper, not sure I could replace it with another.

Share your ES-335-file_2-jpg
    Share your ES-335-file-78-jpg
    Share your ES-335-resistor-capacitor-volume-jpg
    Last edited by icr; 01-23-2022 at 08:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Hey xuoham, I think you made a great trade for that Akai sampler! LOL. What's the story with the black stuff covering the treble strings between the saddle and the tailpiece? I never saw that before. Is it a wrap of some kind to quiet a bit of string rattle? Lovely guitar. Cool story. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by xuoham
    Here is my 1966 ES-335 TD, traded with a good friend in 1990 for an Akai S950 sampler, which is probably worth $50 by now !
    At that time samplers were the bomb and we had the mutual feeling that this was a good trade, lol ...

Share your ES-335-dsc_2574-jpg
    Last edited by Flat; 01-24-2022 at 11:54 AM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    What's the story with the black stuff covering the treble strings between the addle and the tailpiece? I never saw that before. Is it a wrap of some kind to quiet a bit of string rattle? Lovely guitar. Cool story. Cheers.
    Thanks !

I actually like the string part between the saddle and the tailpiece, it yields all kinds of interesting ways of playing, especially since there is a transducer pickup in this guitar as well.
    Picking the low E string behind the saddle can be great sometimes, for example. But the number one trick is to be able to do bends the way you would do on a tele , the "behind the nut" bends, except that here it's "behind the saddle" bends.
    Nice on single note lines (not exclusively talking about "djahz" here, of course) and also raising a single string after hitting a chord.
    Also a nice alternative for the kind of vibrato made by slightly bending the neck "à la Frisell", so to speak. If ever i hit a chord and it sounds out of tune for some reason i can
    push and wiggle there with the lower side of my palm to get some vibrato.

To me, this is why i prefer trapeze tailpieces to stop tailpieces.

The black rubber things (bicycle store) are there because pulling the top three strings hurts the fingers quite a bit.
    UGLY, but effective. They are on the Epi as well, cream color.

I only occasionally dampen the strings at the tailpiece, with some felt pad.
    Last edited by xuoham; 01-24-2022 at 12:43 AM.

User Info Menu

This is my MIJ Tokai ES. It has a slightly narrower nut but a nice girthy neck and sounds perfect. I've replaced the pickups with OX4's and all the hardware has been replaced as well. It's just like a '59 imho, but only cost me ~$1600 all in.

Share your ES-335-esveswa1q0j9bz2amw0g-jpg