The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I own an archtop for the first time. It is an Eastman 603-15.

And my question is I want to change the strings to a lower gauge. I measured the ones on there as 12.5 high E. That's what it came out to.

I want to put 11s on there. My question is ... do I need to get it re-setup or can I just change them?

With my solid bodies if I'm going lower, I just change it, but this is a different guitar, plus the strings are more expensive.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Impossible to say without doing it. There will be less tension with .011 sets than with .012 or .013 sets. How much that will affect neck relief is an unknown. Archtop necks vary from very thin to very thick. All I can suggest is to put the lighter strings on and see how it plays. You might or might not need to loosen the truss rod slightly, and thus the bridge height. It's mostly a matter of personal preference on the feel and action. If the current setup has the neck held perfectly straight, with no relief, it possibly could have some backbow with lighter strings. Or not. I know of no way to know in advance, I would just make the change in strings and then deal with whatever other changes that might be needed.

User Info Menu

I'd recommend you change the strings one at a time, so the top is always under compression. Of course if you need fret work done or want to scrub the fingerboard, then...
    By keeping that tension against the top, your neck will also keep the ballpark tension and any overt results of the tension change will be minimalized. On an archtop too, getting decompressed, especially quickly as in a string set change can effect the compression of the arch, which reflects in the action too. It'll settle back of course, but still, the re-break-in period is minimized this way.
    Be prepared to need a set up though, old strings to new strings, gauge change, get ready to go through the ritual of re-positioning the bridge completely if it warrants it (it very often will). On the bright side, adjusting the action is pretty easy with the thumbwheels. On the flip side, on a solid top archtop, this is something that may demand attention with seasonal changes anyway.

Enjoy your new guitar!! Play it a LOT. It'll only get better for your efforts.

User Info Menu

You may need to tune up the setup a little, but depending on how the nut is cut, it’s possible that you may run into an issue there, but maybe not. It certainly doesn’t hurt to try it though.

User Info Menu

1. Change the strings, one at a time or all at once.

2. Adjust bridge so it plays reasonably well.

3. After a few hours, check the neck relief and adjust truss rod if needed. Then re-adjust bridge height and intonation.

Since it's a new guitar for you, check the following:

String height at nut and string channels in nut.
    String notches in bridge.