The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have a D'Angelico NYL-2 made in Japan. I really have loved to play it for more than a decade. Unfortunately, its tailpiece had been broken during setting up it.
    Therefore, I am considering to replace it with Stair Step Tailpiece from D'Angelico official website.
    Will it fit on my NYL-2?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It should fit just fine. During the first runs of the Asian D'Angelicos, this was a big issue. It was not uncommon that the tailpieces broke. In the subsequent years, their hardware suppliers have done wonders to alleviate this issue but especially in older D'Angelicos, this early plague shows up. It's not your fault.
    Write to them. Include the serial number and if you can, a photo of the label and any stamped in ID; if you have any of the case paperwork that was included, that will seal the deal, if not, no prob. They've always been very good at standing behind their instruments, and this issue is well known to them. They'll send you a new one. It'll work just fine, or better. They're good that way, I know first hand.
    Good luck and long life with that guitar!

Thank you! I helped me a lot!

User Info Menu

Write to whom?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Write to whom?
    Homepage - D'Angelico Guitars
    When I used the scroll bar to the right of the window the bottom of the page had this:
    D'Angelico NYL-2 Tailpiece Replacement.-screen-shot-2022-01-18-6-34-14-am-png

That's one way, and I think I must've done something similar when I reached out to them over ten years ago. I can't remember exactly but give that a go.
    Last edited by Jimmy blue note; 01-18-2022 at 10:25 AM.

User Info Menu

Sorry if I sounded dumb and/or ironical. Actually tried to cancel the message but without success. There's been three or four holders to the D'A title and some legal issues between them. I believe it was different people ten years ago, because the big relaunch took place in 2016. I was kinda wondering if the present D'A is supportive of the Vestax-era instruments. I'm pretty sure that the current tailpieces are identical or at least close enough. Good luck to OP!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Sorry if I sounded dumb and/or ironical. Actually tried to cancel the message but without success. There's been three or four holders to the D'A title and some legal issues between them. I believe it was different people ten years ago, because the big relaunch took place in 2016. I was kinda wondering if the present D'A is supportive of the Vestax-era instruments. I'm pretty sure that the current tailpieces are identical or at least close enough. Good luck to OP!
    I understand/understood. Yeah, I contacted them at the time of the restructuring. Whomever inherits the name or brand takes on the responsibility of instruments that bear that name, and my experience was the new people were very responsible and responsive especially regarding the faults inherent with earlier guitars. It proved to me that they were indeed worthy of doing business with.
    It's amazing what a little bit of professionalism can do to build a client base.
    By the way, my own first overseas D'Angelico was of the old regime. The tailpiece was rather slightly built and did, indeed break. I got it in the clearance that took place at the time (one of those 'Is this for real?' campaigns. I took a chance, and bought one. It was for real. I told my friends and bought lots of D'A Christmas presents that year. And two months later, that old stock was completely gone.)
    I knew something was up because nothing was commercially available for a while but I did manage to contact (the new) D'Angelico. They were the best. Somebody is looking after the reputation of that name.