The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Hey guys!!

I just stumped on this guitar...I'll be adding some pics.

It's an Ibanez Artist Stagemaster AM-50, probably from 1982, MIJ.

The guy is selling for about $1100. He inherited this guitar and doesn't play. Unfortunaly (or fortunately) there is non available to buy on reverb.

Anyone has any idea if this guitar is worth this price. And even better, if it's a nice guitar for jazz. I haven't tried it yet, probably will this next week.

Just antecipating myself with the price and if its worth it.

Thanks guys, have a nice sunday!Help pricing this guitar - 1980 Ibanez Stagemaster AM-50-270234596_4413792565395885_8724157228140729681_n-jpgHelp pricing this guitar - 1980 Ibanez Stagemaster AM-50-270423294_435729984918681_4901758957315295435_n-jpgHelp pricing this guitar - 1980 Ibanez Stagemaster AM-50-270578800_6567773906626690_1732253009322094288_n-pngHelp pricing this guitar - 1980 Ibanez Stagemaster AM-50-271449750_7007961269244525_3453251561945222265_n-jpgHelp pricing this guitar - 1980 Ibanez Stagemaster AM-50-271490489_5095158490517949_5892974332062469664_n-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Looks 339ish to me - which might be a bit small if you want some low end resonance. The price seems ok if it has no issues. Never tried one of these.

User Info Menu

I think Ben Monder plays a 335-sized cousin of this.

Quote Originally Posted by burchyk
    Yes! Exactaly! He uses an AS-50, same year.

You guys think it's a rare guitar? Never seen it around before. I wonder if it's a good deal.

User Info Menu

Good price! A little smaller than the AS-50, Ben Monder's guitar, yes. His was getting really worn, I had the same guitar, I gave him mine. Rare as hen's teeth and excellent Fujigen guitars made in the prime period of Ibanez production. The electronics, build and everything are tops. Check the join of the neck at the body join and the nut. If there's no evidence of cracks in the finish, that's a keeper.
    At that time I got an AM-50 and an AS-50 which I put PAF's in both. They were excellent guitars (though the poly is a little chippy).
    I was offered over 2 grand apiece for both of my guitars, one went to a friend, the AS went to Ben.
    That one is the predecessor to Gibson's 339, so if you like that smaller size, then it's worth it. If you don't like the smaller body, leave it for someone who does.

User Info Menu

I personally could think of many other guitars to play jazz on that would be better. It strikes me as a chambered Les Paul type guitar although Ibanez has a good reputation I would not pay that much for the guitar. Many other Ibanez option I like that would be better and in the price range.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by burchyk
    The AM is small, bigger than a Les Paul but smallest of the semi's. Like a 339
    The AS50 is between that small size but slightly smaller than a 335.
    The full size offering of that vintage was the AS200, the guitar Sco was given, and still plays.

User Info Menu

Absolutely good guitars for anything from Rock to Jazz and beyond, good basic tone and resonance, nice weight+size - just check for binding rot, neck twist, the usual stuff ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mcrombaldi
    Hey guys!!

The guy is selling for about $1100. He inherited this guitar and doesn't play. Unfortunaly (or fortunately) there is non available to buy on reverb.

Anyone has any idea if this guitar is worth this price. And even better, if it's a nice guitar for jazz. I haven't tried it yet, probably will this next week.

Thanks guys, have a nice sunday!
    If you filter search results on Reverb for "sold listings" several show up. You can't tell from that what they actually sold for, but it's a starting point. They all listed at around $1000. Stuff on Reverb typically sells for a bit less than the listing price. So assuming 15% less (educated guess), $1100 is probably a bit high, but not insanely so in the current market.

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I personally could think of many other guitars to play jazz on that would be better. It strikes me as a chambered Les Paul type guitar although Ibanez has a good reputation I would not pay that much for the guitar. Many other Ibanez option I like that would be better and in the price range.
    It's not a chambered body. It's semi-hollow construction, glued together laminated back and sides, like a 335, but smaller. I guy I used to play with had one. They're nice guitars. They're as good as any other semi-hollow for jazz.
    Last edited by John A.; 01-16-2022 at 08:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    Absolutely good guitars for anything from Rock to Jazz and beyond, good basic tone and resonance, nice weight+size - just check for binding rot, neck twist, the usual stuff ...
    I found an AM-50 at a pawn shop several years ago. I bought it at a bargain price and it turned out to be a fantastic guitar. The original pickups sounded amazing. I eventually sold it and replaced it with a Gibson ES-335. In retrospect, I think the Ibanez actually sounded better than the Gibson. I wish I had kept the AM-50.
    Keith
    Last edited by floatingpickup; 03-08-2022 at 10:27 AM.

User Info Menu

I don't know much about pricing, but I know this model was a favorite of John Abercrombie. Like many guitarists, I reached out to John after his house fire to see if I could lend him anything. I had a 77 solid body Artist that he had some interest in, but he said the one he really regretted selling was the "little 335' from the early 80's. Hard to say if it's the right guitar for you, but good luck in your search!

PK

User Info Menu

The AS50 is a great guitar, I have one.
    The top laminate is thinner than most I've seen, and it seems it has therefore a much louder acoustic resonance. It plays really great.
    Mine had the uncovered cream pickups that where high output I think.
    I put some Seth Lovers.
    All my guitarist freinds, some professional jazz players, rave about it every time they try it, and regularly ask me if I want to sell it to them.
    I bought 800€ a couple of years ago from a guy who got it from a car paint work he did in exchange in the 80's, and had never touched it since.
    What differs it from a Gibson Es Semi hollow is the neck, which is made from birch I think.
    So the sound is a bit different, typically like maple necks in my opinion, more snappy and hifi like.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    The AS50 is a great guitar, I have one.
    The top laminate is thinner than most I've seen, and it seems it has therefore a much louder acoustic resonance. It plays really great.
    Mine had the uncovered cream pickups that where high output I think.
    I put some Seth Lovers.
    All my guitarist freinds, some professional jazz players, rave about it every time they try it, and regularly ask me if I want to sell it to them.
    I bought 800€ a couple of years ago from a guy who got it from a car paint work he did in exchange in the 80's, and had never touched it since.
    What differs it from a Gibson Es Semi hollow is the neck, which is made from birch I think.
    So the sound is a bit different, typically like maple necks in my opinion, more snappy and hifi like.
    The top is a maple birch laminate, the neck is maple and very comfortable. They made an entire run of those little bodied guitars in the hay day. Some of them had hotter pickups, some had their version of the floating trem, some had outrageously burled wood, and the ones that were my favourite were the ones aimed at jazz players, like the one the OP has pix of. They were modest, not even a headstock inlay figure, and had their super 58 pickups of the day, the ones they put on the Sco guitar. I know the specs the OP has say something else but that guitar was built in August of 1983 and at that point, Super 58's were the stock equipment of many of their jazz models. Worth looking into. If so, on the vintage collector's pickup market, those pickups have great collectors' value alone.

But as pointed out by others, check the neck for true (The materials quality during that time was uncannily high; MUCH better than the Gibsons of the day and one thing for maple, it's got clarity and a good straight neck says true), and as I mentioned, check the joins and headstock/nut area for any signs of trauma. See if it feels good to play, because they're not for everyone.
    It's not going to be played by any of us no matter our own preferences and prejudices. It's gonna be played by YOU. So bring your best game with you and try it out and see if you're inspired to do something you've never brought out in your playing before. Then YOU decide, and yeah, when you walk in the door, do feel free to tell us all to shut up, and take only your hands and ears with you.
    Good luck.

User Info Menu

I have an Ibanez Am-75 from the same era. Same materials but with a sort of Floyd rose type bridge and different pickups. I changed the pickups.

These guitars play great, have a very bright tone
    (hi-if like someone said above). I have to turn tone almost completely off to get a darker tone.
    The sustain is fantastic and there is a lot of resonance and harmonics.
    I read somewhere Ben Monder bought a Gibson and sold it quickly because he missed some of what I just mentioned on his bigger size AS50.

It does not have as much low end as the bigger size 335 type.

I also have an Ibanez JSM10 that is the cheaper(not Japan) Scofield model based on the the AS200. It sounds quite different. Still a bright guitar in a different way, but deeper tone and more low end.Bigger sounding but less resonant and not the same “ring”.

Ultimately I seem to be searching for a darker sounding semi- hollow body.

The price seems right, these are rare and unique guitars.

Guys, thank you all for your concern and time writing!

I'm gonna try it and see what I think. I think I'm more inclined to buying it due to it being a rare guitar than anything else.
    Of course, I'm looking for a semi-hollow as well, but I'm still not sure.

I also happened to find a Gibson ES-137, though I'm not sure it is as versatile as the Ibanez. I already have an ES 175.

What do you guys say?

Thank you all!

User Info Menu

There are many reasons why a production item could be rare. Few of them enhance the value.

User Info Menu

Guys, thank you all for your concern and time writing!

I'm gonna try it and see what I think. I think I'm more inclined to buying it due to it being a rare guitar than anything else.
    Of course, I'm looking for a semi-hollow as well, but I'm still not sure.

I also happened to find a Gibson ES-137, though I'm not sure it is as versatile as the Ibanez. I already have an ES 175.

What do you guys say?

Thank you all!
    The 137 and the AM50 are about equal in terms of versatility. They're both 2-humbucker semi-hollows. The differences in sound are fairly subtle and a matter of taste, and the differences in body size and neck profile are one of individual comfort.

User Info Menu

mcrombaldi- I just bought a nice '83 AM 50 in excellent shape. It's a fantastic semi with tons of tone. Yours appears nice on your pics and the nut looks to be untouched. Whoever strung it was sloppy and it looks like a scratch or two. Not a big deal compared to other things. Just check the regular things like suggested by other members. I haven't had to mess with much on mine, just the string height. It would be nice to know if the truss rod nut moves and everything is original. I believe like mine yours has Super 58s. They're full of tone. I paid close to what yours cost with shipping. I also like the small body.

User Info Menu

As someone that gets by playing solid bodies chasing a traditional metheny or rogers-esque dark jazz tone, I have been obsessed with the AM size forever. But if you're looking for the traditional semi-hollow note bloom then I think the AMs with a center block will be lacking, just like the 339

Hey guys, thank you all for your advices.
    I ended up buying it!
    I closed the deal for incredible $790! The former owner had inherited this guitar, and it was kept in case for about 10 years now.
    I got home and disassemble all of it, just to be sure of its internal components and conditions.
    That just made me more happy, because it's ALL original.
    Three issues I found: (1) truss rod is working, but in its extreme tight end. I put some roundwond .10 and had to force a little bit to adjust neck relief (I like a little bit of relief).
    I'll need to refret it, so next time I'll take to a professional and see what he can do about it.
    Issue number 2: Volume knob and pot when close to lvl 10 intermittently cuts signal. But if I go below 9 no issues.
    Issue number 3: no OHSC. The former owner got this with a generic hardcase. Extremely bad. I intend on selling it for around 50 bucks.

NOW FOR THE GOOD STUFF!
    Anyway. For a 40 year-old instrument, its quite impressive the state of this guitar. No evidence of falls or wood cracks.
    Minor aesthetic flaws - scratches in front of the headstock,. and some painting defects behind the neck and in top of the headstock. Other than that just usual details like some pick marks.
    All hardware are in incredible good condition. Nut has to be restaured and the saddles can be sanded and better adjusted.
    Frets are still original, and are worn out and with some identation. But I gave them some polish for now.
    Pickups are original, as photo.
    After a treat, I plug it in...and WOW.
    I'm incredibly surprised by the tone of this guitar! Very warm tones for a small body guitar. I put it next to my 339-style Gretsch and its as warm and much more balanced. Its heavier than my Gretsch.
    The build quality of this thing amazed me. Neck is so damn good. Fast and small (I have small hands).

Even with these minor defects this guitar amazed me. The sound of this thing is so beatifully balanced.
    Even with the tone knob all the way up, great sound. Very versatile.
    Bridge pickup also sounds very nice, good for some funk and blues lead.

Thank you all for your support, and any questions let me know!

Thanks guys!
    Attached Images Attached Images Help pricing this guitar - 1980 Ibanez Stagemaster AM-50-20220214_170836-jpg Help pricing this guitar - 1980 Ibanez Stagemaster AM-50-20220214_171246-jpg Help pricing this guitar - 1980 Ibanez Stagemaster AM-50-20220214_140428-jpg Help pricing this guitar - 1980 Ibanez Stagemaster AM-50-20220214_140052-jpg Help pricing this guitar - 1980 Ibanez Stagemaster AM-50-20220214_170825-jpg Help pricing this guitar - 1980 Ibanez Stagemaster AM-50-20220214_161812-jpg Help pricing this guitar - 1980 Ibanez Stagemaster AM-50-20220214_141319-jpg Help pricing this guitar - 1980 Ibanez Stagemaster AM-50-20220214_141244-jpg 

User Info Menu

Hey guys!!

Thanks guys, have a nice sunday!Help pricing this guitar - 1980 Ibanez Stagemaster AM-50-270234596_4413792565395885_8724157228140729681_n-jpgHelp pricing this guitar - 1980 Ibanez Stagemaster AM-50-270423294_435729984918681_4901758957315295435_n-jpgHelp pricing this guitar - 1980 Ibanez Stagemaster AM-50-270578800_6567773906626690_1732253009322094288_n-pngHelp pricing this guitar - 1980 Ibanez Stagemaster AM-50-271449750_7007961269244525_3453251561945222265_n-jpgHelp pricing this guitar - 1980 Ibanez Stagemaster AM-50-271490489_5095158490517949_5892974332062469664_n-jpg