The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

My band is playing some modern fusion songs such as songs by Snarky Puppy. My budget is probably under 100$. Any suggestions to good chorus pedals?

Ryota Sato

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Define 'good'.
    There are a bunch of chorus pedals out there. Most do their job well. When it comes to chorus my main question always was: can it do stereo?

User Info Menu

My personal quest for a chorus pedal not getting on my nerves while playing (for some reason, I have less of a problem _listening_ to chorused sound) has largely been unsuccessful over the years.

Anyway, my tentative conclusions are that (a) I prefer digital to analog, that it's (b) easier to get an acceptable chorused sound in stereo than in mono, and (c) that I generally prefer a detune effect for a chorus without the warbly part.

I'd like to love a chorus pedal, but I doubt that I ever will. Always nice for a few minutes but invariably getting old so quickly.

User Info Menu

For fusion, I would probably look at the new TC Electronics reissue of the SCF: it's called the SCF Gold. That's the #1 chorus (along with Boss/Roland) since chorus was invented, and I'll bet the SCF was all over alot of the original fusion music, being that it was one of the only ones at the time. The SCF does subtle really well.

TC Electronic | Product | SCF GOLD

User Info Menu

The tone city angel wing is really nice sounding, and I generally don't care for chorus.

User Info Menu

Get the Boss

User Info Menu

The MXR Analog Chorus is 99.99 new and really nice.

If you're building a pedalboard, you may get modulation for free with a delay. It depends on how much chorus you want.

These may help:

User Info Menu

"good chorus pedal" is any oxymoron

User Info Menu

The search for a “good” chorus pedal is almost as bad as a search for the “right” fuzz pedal.

I personally really like the sound of the analog EHX pedals. The small clone is the chorus one.

However a lot of fusion type of sounds are about a tri-chorus type of thing. I am not sure if there is an really good inexpensive one out there. I use my H9.

I myself will never buy another TC Electronic pedal. They break and are impossible at a reasonable price to fix. I have horror stories in dealing with TC.

(EHX is not super sturdy, but inexpensive and easily fixed).

As mentioned above the mxr is also a good pedal.

User Info Menu

I had most of the classic chorus pedals and rack units back in the ‘80s - mostly aiming at the Metheny tone for jazz (yes, I know he never used a chorus pedal and of course (of chorus?) it was ubiquitous in the pop music of the time. These days I prefer an analog delay pedal with modulation when I need “chorus” - very big in contemporary Christian praise music. I just find it more flexible in dialing in the chorus depth plus you get a nice delay.

I currently own this Keeley - very nice sound:
    Magnetic Echo tape-like delay and modulation chorus - Keeley

Of course I was a big fan of Metheny back then, but my favorite modulated clean jazz tones come from Steve Khan, dating back to the first “Eyewitness” album. Here’s a nice example from a little later on:

Steve says on his website that this is the pedal he uses for mod, an old Ibanez stompbox - but digital, not analog. Sounds good to me:

Ibanez DCF10 Digital Chorus/Flanger MINT | SourceCodeX Gear | Reverb

He details his knob settings on his gear page, scroll down:

Steve Khan's Equipment

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BickertRules

Of course I was a big fan of Metheny back then, but my favorite modulated clean jazz tones come from Steve Khan, dating back to the first “Eyewitness” album. Here’s a nice example from a little later on:
    i really like the sound of this!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    i really like the sound of this!
    That whole album is stellar - plus Michael Brecker on a couple tracks.

User Info Menu

Michael Brecker is a plus on any album!